Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why do suites allow fewer people than regular room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Self-explanatory question. I'm trying to book a Sheraton for a vacation, and because my husband snores, we normally put him on a sofa bed, while our two year old and I share the bed (or vice versa, just depends). I'm run into the issue that while the queen/queen rooms allow four people, the king/sofabed suites and all regular rooms on the concierge level only allow two (including queen/queen). Is this to discourage children? Or something else?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It could be from fire codes. I'm guessing each room type has a "fire code" associated with it. Also, suites quite often tend to be mostly King beds rather than 2 queens or doubles.

This isn't just a Marriott "issue". I just booked a stay at a Loews hotel (Royal Pacific Resort in Orlando) for later this year. In looking at options, their standard 2 doubles room (335 sqft) can have 5 persons staying in it, but their Captain's Presidential suite (1340 sqft) says it will hold only 2 persons. And the Loews Portofino Bay Resort has a Governatore Suite (2265 sqft) that only allows 2 guests.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

The strange part is that it has a queen sofabed. Who exactly do they expect to sleep on it? It's frustrating, because we stayed at the same hotel six months ago and didn't notice the restriction (I tend to forget to update the number of guests when I do a search, so I had no idea). No one said a word.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:14 am

To force you to reserve multiple rooms?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:18 am

I am finding this frustrating too. I have a family of 4 and I have 5 suite night awards expiring this year and I can't seem to use them!

I tried twice traveling with a friend (they didn't go through) and now I'd like to try again a couple of times this summer for a weekend away, but most suites just have a high floor and a king bed! What gives?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by friscotrvlr
To force you to reserve multiple rooms?
But a regular room isn't even the same as a suite. At this hotel, at least, suites have a fridge/microwave plus nicer amenities - and are just bigger.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:30 am

I would just book it and ignore what the website says. I am sure the sign on the back of the door probably still says "Max Occupancy 4". Take a picture of it when you arrive and if they mess with you, show them the picture.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Especially if this is in the US, where specific occupancy doesn't seem to set off alarms with check in staff, I second just booking it for you and your husband.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not do either #7 or #8 without knowing the location. When occupancy limits are set by local fire code (not US, or state, but local), don't expect much help. Even where he placard sets a max occupancy, bear in mind that you probably aren't (but might wind up) paying the max rate as well.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Score8
Especially if this is in the US, where specific occupancy doesn't seem to set off alarms with check in staff, I second just booking it for you and your husband.
I won't do this do. Ethics issues.

But I'm curious where you stay that the hotel asks for all guest names.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I won't do this do. Ethics issues.

But I'm curious where you stay that the hotel asks for all guest names.
In Japan and other parts of Asia many hotels will not just require names, but will have check ID for each guest staying.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could also be the case that the suite layout doesn't permit a rollaway bed or perhaps the property doesn't want the wear and tear of taking rollaway beds in and out of their specialty suites, or even from just having so many people staying in the suite. Some suites have special furnishings that would be difficult to fix/replace if they were damaged or destroyed.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Why don't you call the hotel? I had this issue with a stay at a luxury property last month. None of the king bedrooms had occupancy for more than 2 people. We do not like 2 double beds - it just doesn't work for us. We prefer one bigger bed and a sofa or sofabed or rollaway (all of which were available but the room didn't let us include kids in the booking). Anyway, a quick call and the front desk supervisor noted the reservation with kids and it was not a problem at all. Worst that can happen is they say no.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
In Japan and other parts of Asia many hotels will not just require names, but will have check ID for each guest staying.
Ah, yeah, true. But this is Illinois.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It could also be the case that the suite layout doesn't permit a rollaway bed or perhaps the property doesn't want the wear and tear of taking rollaway beds in and out of their specialty suites, or even from just having so many people staying in the suite. Some suites have special furnishings that would be difficult to fix/replace if they were damaged or destroyed.
But there's a kind bed AND a queen sofabed. I know because we accidentally stayed there not too long ago. I'm really curious what kind of two people books a nice suite and makes someone sleep on the pull-out.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Ah, yeah, true. But this is Illinois.
Sorry, when you asked where I thought you were asking what other countries might do it. I haven't had hotels in the US ask for the names of the people with me either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.