Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why do suites allow fewer people than regular room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do suites allow fewer people than regular room?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
By my reasoning, maybe the hotel prefers that the sofabed not be used as a bed since moving furniture (or not) to make it into a bed tends to bump around some of the furnishings in the room.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I'm really curious what kind of two people books a nice suite and makes someone sleep on the pull-out.
Actually, I do it. I tend to travel with my daughter a number of times a year. I will quite often upgrade or reserve a King suite room where my daughter gets the bed and I sleep on the sofa bed. I can pretty much sleep anywhere. So it doesn't usually bother me to sleep on a pull-out bed.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Sorry, when you asked where I thought you were asking what other countries might do it. I haven't had hotels in the US ask for the names of the people with me either.
I'm surprised because in an emergency (such as a fire or a medical emergency), someone could need to know how many occupants were in the room and their identities.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:02 am

Suites in FD hotels are basically designed for VIP, free spending or higher status elite guests. The hotel does not want to see excessive wear and tear as the furnishings are usually of a higher standard than regular rooms. The last thing they want is to see four college kids sharing a room and using it as party central. That's why I avoid all suite properties. They're often quite frayed around the edges.
MSPeconomist and nexusCFX like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
By my reasoning, maybe the hotel prefers that the sofabed not be used as a bed since moving furniture (or not) to make it into a bed tends to bump around some of the furnishings in the room.
Then why put one in there?

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, I do it. I tend to travel with my daughter a number of times a year. I will quite often upgrade or reserve a King suite room where my daughter gets the bed and I sleep on the sofa bed. I can pretty much sleep anywhere. So it doesn't usually bother me to sleep on a pull-out bed.
Ah, yeah. Mine's still sharing a bed.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hhoope01
This post turned out the opposite of how I was expecting it to at the start. What a great dad.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyme2
Suites in FD hotels are basically designed for VIP, free spending or higher status elite guests. The hotel does not want to see excessive wear and tear as the furnishings are usually of a higher standard than regular rooms. The last thing they want is to see four college kids sharing a room and using it as party central. That's why I avoid all suite properties. They're often quite frayed around the edges.
This is a Sheraton, for whatever that's worth, which isn't a luxury property in my mind (or all-suites). So what if I'm only mid tier elite? If I'm willing to pay the price, what does it matter?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Then why put one in there?

My guess. Because they want to have a couch there and they buy a standard couch in bulk quantities and that couch has a pull out.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Self-explanatory question. I'm trying to book a Sheraton for a vacation, and because my husband snores, we normally put him on a sofa bed, while our two year old and I share the bed (or vice versa, just depends). I'm run into the issue that while the queen/queen rooms allow four people, the king/sofabed suites and all regular rooms on the concierge level only allow two (including queen/queen). Is this to discourage children? Or something else?
They are subtly urging you to send him to a sleep apnea clinic and maybe get a CPAP machine before his health worsens from apnea.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
To the OP,
If your spouse snores THAT badly, please do the right thing and insist he get a sleep study to diagnose the very real possibility of sleep apnea.
Why?
Long term untreated sleep apnea can be devastating. It is a true silent killer just like ignoring hypertension can be.
Does he complain of daytime sleepiness, fall asleep while sitting in a chair, get up to pee at night, have memory issues, hair loss? All of these things plus others are signs of sleep apnea. Chronic sleep debt also contributes to a lot of auto accidents too.
If he indeed has this, by NOT treating it with a CPAP machine, weight loss, etc this can lead to eventual death due to right heart failure and pulmonary hypertension and could be irreversible, so much so that even a heart transplant is not possible.

I suffer from this myself and am NOT overweight. Not everyone who has this diagnosis is morbidly obese. I also take this very seriously and use my CPAP.

People just ignore this all of the time and sadly it is a true epidemic in the US where I live. 90% of the patients I took care of yesterday were totally noncompliant with their diagnosis and I had to resort to drastic measures postoperatively to prevent them from having complications. It is just NOT OKAY to be in denial about this very serious problem.
Sorry to rant but please get him to be evaluated. It could literally save his life.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
They are subtly urging you to send him to a sleep apnea clinic and maybe get a CPAP machine before his health worsens from apnea.
He's had one. He's just a snorer, and ever since I had a baby, I'm a VERY light sleeper. My doc says I'll grow out of it eventually, but even him rolling over wakes me up. By the way, a CPAP wouldn't solve that problem, at least on my end - I've been on too many long-hauls with nearby passengers using them, and they're LOUD. Quite possibly that contributes to the next poster's patients' non-compliance.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

This is a Sheraton, for whatever that's worth, which isn't a luxury property in my mind (or all-suites). So what if I'm only mid tier elite? If I'm willing to pay the price, what does it matter?
You are willing to pay for the suite, so you fall under the "free spender" category I mentioned. The point you're missing is that the hotel doesn't want extra bedding in the suite to dissuade the party scenario I described. They party crowd would most likely also be paying for the suite, but with a higher chance of wear and tear. Unfortunately, you fall between the cracks. Have you considered adjoining rooms, or is that not cost effective at this Sheraton?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:15 pm

Their hotel, their rules. I'm not aware of any laws or regulations that would require a hotel to set its maximum room capacity at or above some number, although IIRC some jurisdictions may have rules like that for apartments in order to prevent low income families with multiple kids from being priced out of rental housing.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyme2
You are willing to pay for the suite, so you fall under the "free spender" category I mentioned. The point you're missing is that the hotel doesn't want extra bedding in the suite to dissuade the party scenario I described. They party crowd would most likely also be paying for the suite, but with a higher chance of wear and tear. Unfortunately, you fall between the cracks. Have you considered adjoining rooms, or is that not cost effective at this Sheraton?
It's cheaper, actually, but we don't want a regular room. We both travel frequently for work, get stuck with small rooms then, and prefer suites for leisure travel. Wouldn't you?

We'll stay somewhere else. Frustrating, since the event is at this hotel, but there's nothing else I can do. I suppose it's worth noting I've never had this issue at a Marriott-branded hotel.

Edited to add: there's no extra bedding required. Six months ago, he slept on the sofabed, which wasn't made up, and no one questioned when we called down for linens. It's not like we're asking for a crib or rollaway.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I won't do this do. Ethics issues.

But I'm curious where you stay that the hotel asks for all guest names.
Venice, Italy where they have a tax per person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.