Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why don't the hotels get with smart tv's already?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:24 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum

Sick of going to hotels and not having access to netflix and such via the tv . It is 2019 and about time we could have this at Marriott hotels. Such a change could be similar to the changes airlines made with being able to stream movies on the airplane.

P.S I mostly stay in international properties

Last edited by howtofreetravel; Jun 6, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Hotels don't tend to replace existing TVs every time there's a new feature. I've seen plenty in newer properties, but anything that's been around a while likely has the generation of flat screens from 5-10 years ago. I suspect they'll be phased in during a replacement cycle over the next 5 years.
jalves likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:39 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I saw you can buy an addon for an existing tv to make it smart no?
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:46 pm

I bring my own dongle although some hotel TVs you can’t switch the input.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Hospitality grade TVs are way more expensive than a regular consumer-grade TV. Even worse, a Hospitality-grade Smart TV is even more expensive. Marriott is also always traditionally slower at adapting to newer technology.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by myperks
... although some hotel TVs you can’t switch the input.
A $20 "installer remote" fixes that; MR has standardized on LG sets. Addressing the OP's question, a $40 FireStick, one of those remotes and a VPN client side-loaded means I've got Smart-TV functionality that works anywhere in the world, provided the property's internet speed is fast enough.
vinceG likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Sounds like you are looking for a Moxy....
Intl359Widget, arlflyer and ryw like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Internationally fair point but almost every legacy Marriott I've stayed in the past couple years has had smart TV capabilities with Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube -- they were one of the first to implement it back in 2015.

The SPG hotels don't seem to have that functionality yet (at least the couple I've stayed in this year)

https://news.marriott.com/2015/06/ma...m-televisions/
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Duke787
... but almost every legacy Marriott I've stayed in the past couple years has had smart TV capabilities
I've only seen it in FS properties though (which in my case are a small %age of my stays).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:18 pm

I love it, "I'm sick of hotels not spending more money than necessary to get the latest tech, so I don't have to spend $40 to have my roku with me everywhere I go". This is a problem easily solvable yourself with minimal time, space and expense. And do you think the hotel will just eat the cost of upgrading the TV? Nope, it'll get passed along to you and every other customer, many of which have no need for a smart TV. Smart TV also brings with it inherent security issues they may not care to open themselves up to.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mpw81
Sounds like you are looking for a Moxy....
Aha! However I stayed at one last weekend and the functionality did not work as advertised hence the disappointment.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the Marriott properties I’ve stayed at in the past year or so have had smart TVs. I usually carry an hdmi cable anyway so I can use the tv as a second monitor.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marrtiot, Delta
I'm currently in a Springhill Suites and it is a smart tv. I'm even able to plug in my PS4 into it as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by chrisl137
All the Marriott properties I’ve stayed at in the past year or so have had smart TVs. I usually carry an hdmi cable anyway so I can use the tv as a second monitor.
Same, all but one of mine have had the same menu and apps for Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. I wish the apps would remember my email between stays, repeatedly entering the email via remote is annoying.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by thebackcourse
I love it, "I'm sick of hotels not spending more money than necessary to get the latest tech, so I don't have to spend $40 to have my roku with me everywhere I go".
And everyone will pay higher rates to subsidize the technology that only 5% of guests want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.