Wiki Posts
Search

Billed a month after stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mdbe
Just an update. A couple weeks after this when I tried to login to my bonvoy account, I got an error message saying that the account was under audit. Bonvoy was of no help even though I explained my case. All they said was that the hotel requested an account block and that it had to be resolved with the hotel. After a couple strongly worded emails, an explanation for the difference in charges were still not given, so I had no choice but to pay because the points in the account were worth more. The moral of the story is:

-A hotel can block your account with out specifying a reason to Bonvoy
-Marriott will not mediate any issues with the hotel, especially in cases when hotel blocks your account.

For people wondering, the hotel in question is the Grand Bohemian in Birmingham, AL.
So it was more or less a shakedown. An unauthorized $50 charge with no reason given. You might want to consider contacting the consumer protection division of the Alabama Attorney General's office. Not that it's a lot of money, but, at least based on the information you've provided, it sounds like organized, structural theft. 1-800-392-5658.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by mdbe
Just an update. A couple weeks after this when I tried to login to my bonvoy account, I got an error message saying that the account was under audit. Bonvoy was of no help even though I explained my case. All they said was that the hotel requested an account block and that it had to be resolved with the hotel. After a couple strongly worded emails, an explanation for the difference in charges were still not given, so I had no choice but to pay because the points in the account were worth more. The moral of the story is:

-A hotel can block your account with out specifying a reason to Bonvoy
-Marriott will not mediate any issues with the hotel, especially in cases when hotel blocks your account.

For people wondering, the hotel in question is the Grand Bohemian in Birmingham, AL.

Wow...I didn't know a single hotel in the group can block a whole bonvoy account...especially for something as petty as 50 dollars. It's not like you trashed the room or ran off without paying a 5 night stay.

Pretty scary stuff.
If I was on holiday somewhere far from home with a series of different reservations lined up or had some important business trips with late night airport arrivals this would be a disaster.
MSPeconomist and Nazdoom like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonvoy - Rewards Reimagined
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
My thoughts exactly, or small claims, in that at least they'd have to clearly explain where the difference in charges stem from. For all I know they can raise every item on the bill by 10 USD and come back next month asking for another 100USD.

The most worrisome of it all was that Bonvoy (Titanium Services) would not even talk to the hotel on my behalf or mediate in anyway. They'd give me the hotels phone number or connect me to them. That's it.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.