FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott's targeted "Surprise and Delight" promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1964882-marriotts-targeted-surprise-delight-promotion.html)

hockeyinsider Apr 11, 2019 6:04 am

Marriott's targeted "Surprise and Delight" promotion

Where there's smoke there must be fire. Double elite-qualifying nights, double points for all stays, double points for all meetings and events, and now this. Oh yeah, then there’s the Marriott junket to Hong Kong for bloggers. Obviously, the “noise” that Sorenson complained about is more than noise.

Some of you may receive this:

Marriott Bonvoy apparently sent memos to participating hotels about their new initiative to show appreciation to elite members.

2019 Elite Thank You Gift initiative

There are two parts to Marriott’s initiative. Part 1 only recognizes targeted Ambassador Elite members, and only if they booked award stays during a certain time-frame (April 22 – July 31). Part 2 starts May 1, with no explicit end date, and it seems to target elite members in general rather than just Ambassador Elite members. Short version: top tier Ambassador Elites may get a night of their stay rebated to them and an elevated amenity. Other targeted elites may get Marriott gift cards.

Part 1 (Targeted Ambassador Elite members only)

Date range: April 22 – July 31

Certain Ambassador Elite members with award stays between April 22 and July 31 will be targeted. Those targeted will receive the following:
  1. A personalized letter from David Flueck, Senior Vice President of Global Loyalty, and the member’s personal Ambassador.
  2. One night of their stay free (the full points of one night will be refunded to their account)
  3. (at the hotel’s discretion) A local elevated amenity, e.g., a food or beverage specialty from the region or another local token
Part 2 (Targeted Elite members only)
Date range: May 1 – ?

Certain elite members will receive an electronic Marriott gift card via email. There is no information about how much value these will hold or how people will be targeted.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ft-initiative/

EuropeanPete Apr 11, 2019 6:45 am

Anyone seen these offers in the wild yet? My Ambassador has obviously got the message that I'm fed up with weekly errors and corporate not even being willing to confirm they stand behind the programme T&C's, so I know that I'm on some kind of radar (obviously not a very significant one).

UA-NYC Apr 11, 2019 6:52 am

I'm a faux-Ambassador Elite now, not paying to stay with Marriott anymore, but do have some high point redemption award stays next month. Will be interesting to see if I am among the lucky.

Even if so, too little too late. Anything short of Arne packing says they still have their heads in the sand.

margarita girl Apr 11, 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30988536)
Anyone seen these offers in the wild yet? My Ambassador has obviously got the message that I'm fed up with weekly errors and corporate not even being willing to confirm they stand behind the programme T&C's, so I know that I'm on some kind of radar (obviously not a very significant one).

My Ambassador doesn't know I exist. I haven't heard from her in over a year. Wonder if I'll be on the radar.

LovetoTravel83 Apr 11, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30988567)
My Ambassador doesn't know I exist. I haven't heard from her in over a year. Wonder if I'll be on the radar.

Sadly, I see these Ambassadors as being reactive rather than proactive. I miss my Ambassador when it was non published (10 years ago), they were impressive then.

kaizen7 Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

Judging that this now already out, keeping this as targetted can definitely backfired.

Amb members who didnt get this (and other targetted promos) might feels unhappy about this.

Afterall not every amb members will make award stays just for this.

escapefromphl Apr 11, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30988428)
Where there's smoke there must be fire. Double elite-qualifying nights, double points for all stays, double points for all meetings and events, and now this.

What double elite-qualifying nights?

hockeyinsider Apr 11, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 30988942)
What double elite-qualifying nights?

This: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...dit-promo.html

YouGeeElWhy Apr 11, 2019 9:13 am

"Surprise and Delight", is that not the main function of Marriott Bonvoy or is that "Shock and Awe"? It is like their marketing team uses some Military Junta playbook for naming things these days.

hockeyinsider Apr 11, 2019 9:15 am

You haven't contacted the service?

You should send an email to Marriott's corporate leadership. This would make a great complaint.

Dear Messrs. Marriott, Sorenson and Flueck:

Imagine my -- no pun intended -- surprise when I heard about the "Surprise and Delight" promotion that was leaked to some travel blogs.

I say surprise because I have ambassador elite status and have been a loyal customer (both legacy Marriott and legacy Starwood) yet I haven't heard my the ambassador agent assigned to me in over a year. Yes, you read that right. I said over a year.

yada yada yada

C17PSGR Apr 11, 2019 9:19 am

Interesting Arne was selected as CEO of the Year ... by fellow CEO's.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4092851.html

A lot of ambassador guests don't use awards ... we just keep spending money.

My surprise and delight would be a directive to hotels to upgrade ambassador guests to the best available suites on every stay. I'll be surprised and delighted ... and stay more.

RobOnLI Apr 11, 2019 10:51 am

This "surprise and delight" reminds me of Northwest Airlines. When DL announced they were acquiring NW, NW would provide free upgrades to elites to fill the business class cabin on TPAC and TATL flights. I received quite a few of these (SEA-NRT, PDX-NRT, SEA-AMS). Remember the promo @MSPeconomist?

This is where I wish FT had a "sad" or "frowny" face.

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 30988665)
Sadly, I see these Ambassadors as being reactive rather than proactive. I miss my Ambassador when it was non published (10 years ago), they were impressive then.

Reminds me of what UA Global Services used to be. I only hit GS once but I've been a member on the UA board for years. "Back in the good ol' days..."

-RM

MSPeconomist Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 30989460)
This "surprise and delight" reminds me of Northwest Airlines. When DL announced they were acquiring NW, NW would provide free upgrades to elites to fill the business class cabin on TPAC and TATL flights. I received quite a few of these (SEA-NRT, PDX-NRT, SEA-AMS). Remember the promo @MSPeconomist?

This is where I wish FT had a "sad" or "frowny" face.

Reminds me of what UA Global Services used to be. I only hit GS once but I've been a member on the UA board for years. "Back in the good ol' days..."

-RM

Indeed I do. Some people claimed that it was Bob Soukup's last decision as director (I forget his exact title) of WorldPerks to give the phantom upgrades (up to five per flight) to selected PMNW Plat Elites. Some said that this was a parting gift, knowing that things with the merger were going to be bad for elites.

I'm LTT and Amb, yet I was targeted (selected especially for me?) for the double nights promo. Ridiculous. Does Starriott think I'm so stupid that I'm going to stay more in response to some additional nights credit that will never do me any good unless h<edited> Bonvoy creates a lifetime Amb level.

swag Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30988536)
Anyone seen these offers in the wild yet?

Assume not, since "Date range: April 22 – July 31"

escapefromphl Apr 11, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30989047)

That's a narrowly targeted promotion, unlike the double points promotion which everyone got.