Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's targeted "Surprise and Delight" promotion

Marriott's targeted "Surprise and Delight" promotion

Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Received one for my stay over the weekend in Dublin (letter w/60K point credit mention) - thought I had missed out on it after I didn't get one on my 6 day Italy trip, so pleasantly surprised (and I had forgotten about this promo).

Now curious as to when it will actually credit...
I'm curious to know how many nights people are staying to get the free night? I have 2 consecutive one night reservations at St Regis FLR. I suspect I won't get anything.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Had 3 nights each at Gritti / StR Flr in May - no dice, assumed I missed my chance.

3 nights at the Shelbourne - just got it.
damon88 and margarita girl like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm curious to know how many nights people are staying to get the free night? I have 2 consecutive one night reservations at St Regis FLR. I suspect I won't get anything.
5 nights in Paris. And technically it's not a free night, it's a 60K reward, regardless if the redemption rate is 85K or 35K.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
10 nights in Barcelona. No surprise.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I've had a couple 1 night award stays, one 4 night award stay and one 5 night award stay. No surprise or delight for me, although I did receive a letter from my ambassador on the two longer stays. I don't have any more award stays booked, so I guess I'm out of luck.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Nothing for me with a 5 night or a 2 night either.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Got my form letter on day 1 of a 4wks points trip in progress to various places, got email from my Amb a few days later and 60K points deposited the day after.

i was delighted, but not surprised since everyone was already talking about it here...
damon88 and margarita girl like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am "Surprised and Delighted". Got the David Flueck letter on a 2 night stay at the St Regis FLR which was booked as 2 one night stays!

Also upgraded to an Arno Jr Suite which has got to be the biggest jr suite I've ever seen. It has a separate living room (but only an archway separating it from the bedroom) and 1.5 baths. Huge balcony overlooking the piazza and the river.

Thank you David!
damon88, Happy, wcrhkd and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:48 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I am "Surprised and Delighted". Got the David Flueck letter on a 2 night stay at the St Regis FLR which was booked as 2 one night stays!

Also upgraded to an Arno Jr Suite which has got to be the biggest jr suite I've ever seen. It has a separate living room (but only an archway separating it from the bedroom) and 1.5 baths. Huge balcony overlooking the piazza and the river.

Thank you David!

Wow- Congrats

I love that hotel but never had that spectacular upgrade- good for you!

ETA. Post pics!
margarita girl and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by damon88; Jul 28, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I just got the David Flueck 60,000 Surprise and Delight letter at my stay at the St. Regis Toronto. Nice surprise!
damon88 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
I just got the David Flueck 60,000 Surprise and Delight letter at my stay at the St. Regis Toronto. Nice surprise!
Congrats! This is great news for the Amb Elites who haven't received anything yet, as the promo was supposed to end on July 31. (I know someone reported that their Ambassador said it would be extended to year end, but it's great to have confirmation.)

Part 1 (Targeted Ambassador Elite members only)

Date range: April 22 – July 31

Certain Ambassador Elite members with award stays between April 22 and July 31 will be targeted. Those targeted will receive the following:
  1. A personalized letter from David Flueck, Senior Vice President of Global Loyalty, and the member’s personal Ambassador.
  2. One night of their stay free (the full points of one night will be refunded to their account)
  3. (at the hotel’s discretion) A local elevated amenity, e.g., a food or beverage specialty from the region or another local token

I'm surprised at how few FTers have reported receiving this. If my count is correct, you're only the 6th person to report getting surprised and delighted.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Unsurprised. I never got the folder or the card or the previous bonus or the Ambassador survey or the birthday night or or or... I feel like I’ve been pre-emptively dumped by the chain.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I never got the surprise and delight either. So unfair.

I only got numerous award stays at what should have been 85-105K points/night for a steal at 60K points/night at some of the world’s best luxury hotels. I saved hundreds of thousands of points even as I stayed in incredible hotels. Rough.

I only got upgraded on those same award stays to (1) a Luxury Garden Suite at the St Regis Bahia Beach for 5 nights, (2) an Oceanview One Bedroom Suite at the RC Bacara Santa Barbara for 5 nights, (3) an Ocean Guest House One Bedroom Suite at the RC Half Moon Bay for 2 nights, and (4) a 3 Bedroom Residence with private pool at the Phoenician Residences for 3 nights. Tough going for me.

No surprise or delight for me. Only amazing hotel stays at amazing award rates and with incredible upgrades.

Suffering is such sweet sorrow.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
With your experience, I wont be complaining as well

I didnt get these surprise and delight too .... no point redemption this year .... only have one on february next year at al maha
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An Amb Elite friend just stayed on reward nights at a cat 5 hotel and didn’t get anything. So far it seems everyone who’s been targeted has been at cat 7 or higher (getting 60K pts back). No idea if this is correct but trying to see if there is a pattern.

In my case I was at a cat 8 hotel, but booked when it was still 60K pts/night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.