Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Strange Loss Prevention Notice Slipped Under Door. Anyone get this?

Strange Loss Prevention Notice Slipped Under Door. Anyone get this?

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Because "elites" don't steal or put holes in walls?

My guess is that they're just as happy to shed the "guests" who take offense at this.
That memo was pure "blah-blah-blah DON'T STEAL THE TOWELS YOU LOUSY THIEF blah-blah-blah"
You may consider that good costumer relations. I'll stand by my Chaney interpretation.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Because "elites" don't steal or put holes in walls?
Almost surely, yes, elites are less likely to steal.

And, as a matter of customer relations, an elite who stays a lot and steals the occasional towel may still be worth having as a customer.

I would reckon most towels are not actually stolen, but simply misplaced. I've been in hotels where I started with 4 towels but ended up having 3 because housekeeping neglected to replace one.

I use premium organic cotton bath towels at home and have no need to steal any hotel's.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Almost surely, yes, elites are less likely to steal.

And, as a matter of customer relations, an elite who stays a lot and steals the occasional towel may still be worth having as a customer.

I would reckon most towels are not actually stolen, but simply misplaced. I've been in hotels where I started with 4 towels but ended up having 3 because housekeeping neglected to replace one.

I use premium organic cotton bath towels at home and have no need to steal any hotel's.
So you appreciate mgt implying that because you're a guest you're a towel thief? Or that because so many of their guests are thieves they felt the need to warn you that they're going to count the towels when you check out?
That memo was lousy business practice, similar to mgt posting a sign in a high end department store that says "Thank you for not spitting."
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
So you appreciate mgt implying that because you're a guest you're a towel thief? Or that because so many of their guests are thieves they felt the need to warn you that they're going to count the towels when you check out?
That memo was lousy business practice, similar to mgt posting a sign in a high end department store that says "Thank you for not spitting."
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
I don't appreciate management implying any of that. I completely agree the memo was lousy business practice. The regional director for this hotel should have a word with the manager.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I don't read it at all like that.

To me it reads as "our security is tip top so you can sleep easy"

Cryptic and clumsy, most certainly, but I could think of many ways to discretely convey veiled threats, and this is not one of them!!!

Maybe they had some bad publicity due to missing parcels and this is their way to reassure, in which case they have failed to say the least
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, a loss prevention team/dept is very different from a security team/dept. The former has connotations of preventing and stopping shoplifting in retail establishments, while the latter If oriented toward protecting people and property from harm or damage.
EuropeanPete and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Anyone get one of these before? Seems like they've had security issues or something.

They need new letterhead. "Conference" is lowercased, when it should be capitalized.

I also thought Marriott International dropped "Travel Brilliantly" as the slogan for its flagship Marriott brand.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by IggySD

Would you really? That seems a bit excessive for a meaningless price of paper that shouldnt have caused more than a couple of seconds of wasted time and is easily tossed aside as mentioned above. I mean to each his/her own but if I were the GM Id have a hard time not laughing at that response.
They can't deliver newspapers or folios anymore, but can slip this under the door. Pssh.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I would be inclined to "cluelessly" ask the front desk what the heck "loss prevention" is and why I was being informed of them. Honestly, this is even more off-key than one or two times when I came across Holiday Inns which left letters noting the "popularity" of various housekeeping items and pre-stating charges for them.
DenverBrian and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:14 pm

I have stayed at this hotel before, and if I remember correctly, it is on a university campus and a lot of students work there. When I checked in, the front desk agents were quick to tell me that they were getting degrees in hotel and restaurant management.

I wonder if this letter was an idea from a student intern or something...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I would. Really.

If the GM laughed me I'd be leaving. Guests are guests. Or at least they used to be when I ran Courtyards.

Others are suggesting here that the GM might have written the note. If so, then s/he should have signed it.

The note is bizarre at best, creepy and sinister at worst. It has no business being slipped under guest doors. As others have noted, if you want to emphasize security, give it to guests with the key packet at check-in. And for the love of God, have it written to make sense.
It's a stupid meaningless piece of paper. Strange? Sure. Worth the time and energy of a confrontation with the property? I guess if you've got nothing else going on in your life and have some time to kill go for it but this is the type of thing I've learned to just brush aside,

If i were the GM and you left cause I laughed at you I'd think one less dramatic customer to deal with.

I see some people are reading it as don't steal the towels, I certainly don't but even if I did, since I'm not a towel thief it still wouldn't bother me.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
They need new letterhead. "Conference" is lowercased, when it should be capitalized.

I also thought Marriott International dropped "Travel Brilliantly" as the slogan for its flagship Marriott brand.
I think you've hit on the idea that this isn't the hotel's official stationery at all - it's likely someone grabbed logos off the web and printed this up.

Even more sinister if true.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by IggySD
If i were the GM and you left cause I laughed at you I'd think one less dramatic customer to deal with.
I don't think we'll ever have to worry about you becoming a GM in the hospitality space.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I would be inclined to "cluelessly" ask the front desk what the heck "loss prevention" is and why I was being informed of them. Honestly, this is even more off-key than one or two times when I came across Holiday Inns which left letters noting the "popularity" of various housekeeping items and pre-stating charges for them.
The only thing I take are the soap, shampoo, and conditioner, and only because I give them to a local homeless shelter. What in the world are people stealing from hotels? Do people really take towels and bathrobes?

Oh wait, sometimes I snag an extra pair of those cheapo earbuds in the hotel gym, and put them in my bag in case I don't have my good ones with me. Is that going to get my a visit from the hotel loss prevention anti-theft goon squad?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAFly
The only thing I take are the soap, shampoo, and conditioner, and only because I give them to a local homeless shelter. What in the world are people stealing from hotels? Do people really take towels and bathrobes?
I take the slippers on top of the shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and soap. Sometimes I've taken the coffee, stationary, pens, or corkscrew.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.