Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Keep points or spend them and advice on San Diego Hotel

Old Apr 10, 19, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...

Hi all,

I have not been traveling too much lately but currently have about 360,000 Marriott points. Wanted people opinion on what to do with them.I originally was saving for a 7 night stay with miles but don't have a 7 night stay planned anytime soon. (mostly 2-3 night stays).

So I wanted peoples opinion on if I should still save the points or just start spending them.
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like to use my points for five night stays so that I can take advantage of the fifth night free feature, although more generally it depends on the cost in points versus the cost in money, including tax, and any required service charges. Check also whether there are other items that you would save on an award stay, such as possibly parking or resort fees. [I'm not sure what the current Starriott/Bonvoy rules are for these.]
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Use your points. Unless the redemption rate is super poor - like if you can find a deeply discounted rate somewhere for $100/night but they want 35k points for the same room. But generally speaking, use your points. You don't earn interest on points sitting in your Bonvoy account, but you should be earning on the cash in your bank account. Any reason why you wanted to save for a 7 night stay? The sweet spot for point redemptions is really 5 nights because you get the 5th night free. EDIT: found this pretty cool explanation of how to use cash + points + free night in the optimal way: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...-longer-stays/

As for San Diego - I'm sure there are a lot of great properties and it depends on where you want to be and what you want to do. I have always enjoyed the US Grant downtown. It's a bit out of the way for most things, but a neat property nonetheless.
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by FOX85 View Post
Hi all,

I have not been traveling too much lately but currently have about 360,000 Marriott points. Wanted people opinion on what to do with them.I originally was saving for a 7 night stay with miles but don't have a 7 night stay planned anytime soon. (mostly 2-3 night stays).

So I wanted peoples opinion on if I should still save the points or just start spending them.
Most people on FT will always tell you to spend the points. This is a travel board, and most people here like to travel as much as possible.

Do what works best for you. If now is a good time for you to travel, then do so. If it's not a good time for you, then wait.
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:54 pm

Generally speaking, if room+tax/points required for all points stay > 6/10ths of a cent, I use points. They're not going up in value.
Old Apr 10, 19, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
San Diego Marriott Hotels ranked from my experience:
  1. Hotel Republic
  2. Courtyard Downtown
  3. Coranado Island Marriott Resort
  4. US Grant
  5. Courtyard Gaslamp
  6. Springhill Suites Marriott Downtown/Bayfront
  7. Marriott Marquis Marina (my least favorite Marquis I've ever been in)
  8. The Westin San Diego
  9. The Westin San Diego Gaslamp
  10. Moxy San Diego (How they can sell those rooms for that price is criminal)

As you can see there is no shortage of Marriott hotels (I still have like 6 I haven't been to) and finding 7 day availability will be really hard with all the different conventions. Been coming out to San Diego pretty much every week for the last few months. I've had to jump around way way way more often then I would like to.
FOX85 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
San Diego Marriott Hotels ranked from my experience:
  1. Hotel Republic
  2. Courtyard Downtown
  3. Coranado Island Marriott Resort
I have properties 2 & 3 booked in June. Questions:

Not often that a CY finds its way to the top of a list in a city with so much to offer. Why?

Have you stayed at the Coronado property recently - how's the renovation coming along?

Thanks much.
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Keep in mind that you'll pay at least $40/night to park at any hotels in central San Diego, and at least some of them have a resort fee. So at the Westin you'll be paying $75 + tax per night for your "free" room. Of course you'll pay those on a cash reservation, too; I'm just preparing you for the sticker shock either way. San Diego is an expensive hotel city.
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Some hotels I was looking at was $50 per night which is okay. I am leaning towards the Courtyard downtown (the hotel republic was my first choice with a cash discount rate on travelzoo but is unavailable my my dates now)

Thanks for the input, I feel I'll just spend the points. I have a business and can rack them up pretty quickly if need be.
Old Apr 10, 19, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The Marquis will sometimes offer a cheap AAA rate that includes parking (and I believe Marriott Gaslamp does too). I would rate it, along with the Springhill Downtown/Bayfront, considerably higher on my list. Certainly ahead of the Grant, where many of the rooms get lots of traffic noise.
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The Marquis will sometimes offer a cheap AAA rate that includes parking (and I believe Marriott Gaslamp does too). I would rate it, along with the Springhill Downtown/Bayfront, considerably higher on my list. Certainly ahead of the Grant, where many of the rooms get lots of traffic noise.
Westin Gaslamp has now started offering AAA rates with parking. Lately, this has become an everyday thing and not a "sometimes" thing. Marriott Gaslamp I believe was the first to start offering the AAA rate with parking included, which made it my hotel of choice over the last 2 years. Then Marriott Marquis jumped in and now this year Westin Gaslamp. I'm starting to think, that the competing hotels are thinking they are at a disadvantage and slowly jumping in on the act.
Old Apr 11, 19, 1:13 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Westin Gaslamp has now started offering AAA rates with parking. Lately, this has become an everyday thing and not a "sometimes" thing. Marriott Gaslamp I believe was the first to start offering the AAA rate with parking included, which made it my hotel of choice over the last 2 years. Then Marriott Marquis jumped in and now this year Westin Gaslamp. I'm starting to think, that the competing hotels are thinking they are at a disadvantage and slowly jumping in on the act.
Don't forget that the Marriott Gaslamp also doesn't charge a resort fee. That AAA rate makes it the best FS property downtown IMO.
Old Apr 11, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Unless the value is really bad compared to cash rates, spend the points.
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
[/LIST]I have properties 2 & 3 booked in June. Questions:

Not often that a CY finds its way to the top of a list in a city with so much to offer. Why?

Have you stayed at the Coronado property recently - how's the renovation coming along?

Thanks much.
It's literally the best CY in America. It's in a restored 1920s bank building, renovations were fairly recent, and it's pretty much a full service hotel for CY prices, though I am not a price conscious traveler since I am here for business. The staff is top notch and know what they're doing. They've gone out of their way to give me extra perks because of my Titanium Status. All around just an unbelievable CY.

Coronado Marriott Renovations are coming along nicely from what you can see though I think they keep falling behind. It was supposed to be the end February, then March, and they're supposed to be finished now but I think they may delay it again. I couldn't tell you what it was like before the renovation though since I have only stayed during and I am hoping to see it all completed myself in the coming weeks.
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PALT
I have to give a Big NO to Hotel Republic. I stayed there 7/4/2018 and have bed bugs bites. I live in Orange County, CA was the only place I visited.

Search this Thread