Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is the usual cost for an ice cream bar from the "market"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I usually don't buy anything from the "markets" in places like CY's, but I didn't have dessert with dinner and just needed something sweet.

There were no prices on the frozen case, so I grabbed a chocolate covered caramel something, the front desk was really busy so I just held it up to one of the agents and told her my room number.

The next day when I checked out, I finally saw the price.

What is "normal" for one of those ice cream bars on a stick? This was a fancy one in a black wrapper, can't recall the brand.

It just occurred to me that someone might ask "where", since I'm sure New York City will be more than Iowa or Kansas (no offense to Iowa or Kansas). It was Portland, OR.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:22 pm

I would expect at least $4 for one at a CY, the ones you can get at 7-11 for less than $2.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My guess would be $3-7.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:36 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Ice Cream Bar... I assume we're talking about an wooden stick and a square ice-cream, dipped in chocolate and then covered with nuts. That's the west coast premium version. Just thinking about it makes me want one. Retailing it for $4.5 - about $5 after taxes from our fine chocolatier.

A less foodie version of similar bar is about $4 at 7-11. So I imagine the hotel lobby mini-bar has a 20% premium to 7-11. So totaling at $6 after taxes
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why keep us in suspense? What were you charged?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
You guys are good!

It was $6, which I thought was high for what it was.

Lesson learned, ask the price. But they should have prices on the case.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That defeats the entire marketing approach. People pick what they want and then find out the price. Yours was right on the nose for an item + what amounts to a convenience fee.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
this was a fancy one in a black wrapper
That was your first clue.
dgreen12 and mendezka like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Wait. I thought they were all free. I just grab 3-4 for the family, and wave at the front desk.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Wait. I thought they were all free. I just grab 3-4 for the family, and wave at the front desk.
My new method for eating anything from the snack bar...
mendezka likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
You guys are good!

It was $6, which I thought was high for what it was.

Lesson learned, ask the price. But they should have prices on the case.
My mother and I were just having a conversation about New England Yankee approach to money - spend as little as absolutely possible!

I would have expected the item to be at least $5 as those pantry markups are seriously steep.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Damn thats twice what I paid last year for one of those haagen dazs bars at a Fairfield Inn up in Sacramento. $3.00 plus $0.24 in sales tax. I didn't see the price either, just grabbed it and had the FD charge it to my room.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It doesn't apply to frozen ice cream bars, but in general I would expect market items (self service and you come down to the lobby to get the stuff) to be considerably cheaper than the same thing from an in-room minibar, where some hotels are also starting to add their standard room service tip to minibar charges.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I was at the Element, Hanover, MD and the same thing - All items in the store did not have a price. I picked a tiny bag of mixed nuts thinking it would be $3 - $4 (maybe max $5)
Next day I checked out and literally fell off my chair. That puny bag of mixed nuts was $11. Never in my life I have seen something like this charged even in minibar/in room and mind you this is a generic Element in a small suburb of Baltimore
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

I would have expected the item to be at least $5 as those pantry markups are seriously steep.
Kind of like the mini-bar, except you have to go get it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.