Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Inability to write reviews hurt Marriott and its staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

I've had stayed at 5 establishments in the past two months, all of them excellent services that I wanted to share with others, all of them provided by exceptional staff I wanted to recognize, but all of them have NOT send me an after-stay review invite.

Why is Marriott so selective in who can and who cannot write the reviews? And what's the algorithm for their selections?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:24 pm

Not that I have anything good to say about Marriott, but, if they're gonna stop with the "feedback" emails, I'd commend them. Personally, I never bother with feedback emails, writing or reading them, such as yelp, trip advisor, blogs, or whatever other MSM outlet.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Yes
Ambassador Elite here.

I completely agree and I’ve chased this issue up the chain. Marriott simply doesn’t care and wants to filter reviews.
EuropeanPete and PointWeasel like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I've had stayed at 5 establishments in the past two months, all of them excellent services that I wanted to share with others, all of them provided by exceptional staff I wanted to recognize, but all of them have NOT send me an after-stay review invite.

Why is Marriott so selective in who can and who cannot write the reviews? And what's the algorithm for their selections?
I got feeling they just stopped it altogether .... no alogarithm involved.

I tend to write tripadvisor review now.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:06 pm

It’s very odd indeed. I’ve not received one for many months, dozens and dozens of stays. And I don’t recall ever slamming a property ( except maybe Great Northern, London and that was well deserved). People are getting the surveys because the reviews are pretty current, albeit reduced volume. If indeed they are vetting who gets them then it goes without saying that the whole system is tainted.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The survey emails simply STOPPED coming since last quarter of 2018. None of my stays receive any follow up email at all. What a shame as it is a very good way to communicate the feedback to the property, whether it is a glowing accolade or some issues need to be addressed.

My prior experiences have been if there some issues the property's management often would reach out. I guess it is easy to pick out critical words with today's software - if a survey feedback contains certain words, that email got to be sent to the property's management team. Seems all chains work this way. Until Marriott stops that altogether.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:24 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I haven’t gotten any feedback/review surveys post-8/18 either. However I assume that you’re still able to send an email on the contact us form if you’ve had exemplary service, and corporate will forward it to the appropriate property. (I’ve done this before 8/18 for a couple stays & staff members that were exceptional and I didn’t get the feedback survey).
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just checked my email and I received a request for a survey in early March for a late February (both 2019) legacy Starwood stay: "tell us about your stay" was the header and it was over Bill Marriott's signature.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I just got a request from a property my husband was at last week. Interestingly he actually did have an issue at the property so they clearly didn't pre-screen him.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666

These guest satisfaction surveys are based on algorithms and also on your loyalty status. They seek feedback randomly, but these a purposefully not sent after every stay. If you’re a titanium, you would be completely bogged down. I’ve filled out two this year so far, both legacy Marriott. If you have feedback you’d like to share, send it to Marriott Cust Service as it will certainly be shared.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Yes
Even when I have received a survey and wrote a review at the end, only once have I seen a review be published to the hotel website.

The ability to leave reviews is clearly no longer simply verified by having stayed against your loyalty account. There is some filtering occurring.

It’s not as transparent as it once was and the system is less functional and useful for guests or potential guests.
estnet likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I have numerous one star reviews that I would have completed. I have never in 15 years been given an option to leave a review for a Marriott stay.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I also cannot recall ever having received an invitation to review a property - not even any of the ones where I've basically stayed weekly for 1-2 yrs straight.

I do, however, tend to reserve contacting my Ambassador only for positive feedback - and that has not gone unnoticed by some properties.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I got feeling they just stopped it altogether .... no alogarithm involved.
I got one recently for a two night stay at a Springhill Suites in NC.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BCasc
These guest satisfaction surveys are based on algorithms and also on your loyalty status. They seek feedback randomly, but these a purposefully not sent after every stay. If you’re a titanium, you would be completely bogged down.
Not really. When I was Hyatt Diamond/Globalist, they sent a survey after every stay. And you would then get a personal email reply from the property, sometimes from the GM. Likewise, as a UA 1K I get a post-flight survey close to 100% of the time (though there are no personalized responses to those).

The whole reason people are expressing frustration here is they appreciate being asked their opinion post-stay, even when they don't have a complaint.

It's just more terrible cs from Marriott. The one thing they are doing really really well is communicating that they really don't care if you stay or go.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.