Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Customer Service refused to send me to the Loyalty desk

Customer Service refused to send me to the Loyalty desk

Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I cannot find where I said my husband joined in 1980. I believe it was 1983 or thereabouts, shortly after it began. Yes, indeed, Marriott was sometimes generous about re-upping you if you were missing a few nights short of the 50 you needed for Gold. Not many, however. I think I need to find out how many nights they have him down for AFTER 2001 because we are very busy travelers and have stayed frequently at Marriotts. Since the program has changed so much over the years, it is hard to establish credentials. However, they do not require that you continue to maintain that status for your nights to count.toward the 600 nights you need. 10 years old Gold. 600 nights. They count nights at lower level hotels in the chain, like Courtyard.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
I believe Marriott Club Marquis launched in 1981 for guests who stayed at least 5 nights per year at Marriott Hotels. It might have been 1980. Club Marquis provided benefits to these "frequent" guests.There were far fewer Marriott Hotels then. Club Marquis was not a rewards program........
I think I get it now. OP's husband wants to have his nights stayed at Marriott prior to Rewards program, as well as nights stayed at Westin under Allegis, to be counted for lifetime status. That's gonna be an uphill battle.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Karen2
I cannot find where I said my husband joined in 1980. I believe it was 1983 or thereabouts, shortly after it began. Yes, indeed, Marriott was sometimes generous about re-upping you if you were missing a few nights short of the 50 you needed for Gold. Not many, however. I think I need to find out how many nights they have him down for AFTER 2001 because we are very busy travelers and have stayed frequently at Marriotts. Since the program has changed so much over the years, it is hard to establish credentials. However, they do not require that you continue to maintain that status for your nights to count.toward the 600 nights you need. 10 years old Gold. 600 nights. They count nights at lower level hotels in the chain, like Courtyard.
Why does it matter after 2001?
what was your husbands status on December 31, 2018? And how many lifetime nights did he have? It cant just be I woke up this week and all of a sudden I dont have status and I dont know whats going on?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So, 36 years. It would be interesting to know how many people from 1983 are still frequent hotel guests.
SanDiego1K is one.
SanDiego1K and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The OP brought up the history of the predecessor programs on Marriott Bonvoy. This has led to an interesting thread. Some of the discussion, such as the details about Westin and Allegis in the 1980s, is applicable to her question. But I want to address her post more directly.

Originally Posted by Karen2
However, my husband should be lifetime Platinum. It is very unfair to penalize members who joined in the beginning because Marriott chose to keep only records past 1990. Furthermore, he was an Allegis member and stayed at innumerable Westins back in that day. No record. And she could not find any of his Starwood stays. What a mess.
Karen2,

Please keep in mind that the total nights and other cumulative totals in Marriott Rewards accounts and SPG accounts reflect activity since a member opened the account — but only if the member did things correctly, such as not allowing an account to lapse (and expire), not opening a new account and forgetting about an old account, taking required actions when acquisitions and program mergers occurred, and monitoring accounts over the years.

It should not matter if a Marriott Bonvoy customer service agent in 2019 doesn't know the details of predecessor loyalty programs before he or she was born. Speculating now on how many nights someone might have earned over the years or when someone might have joined a program is not productive.

What matters now is whether someone had Rewards and/or SPG lifetime status before the programs were combined, what the cumulative totals were in each program before combining accounts, and whether combining accounts triggered any higher lifetime status.

I can speak from experience, going back to when such programs were first introduced.

With what's now Marriott Bonvoy, over the years, I have been a member of Marriott Honored Guests, Westin Premier, Sheraton Club International, Marriott Rewards, and SPG. When Starwood combined Sheraton and Westin into a single company and program, I lost my Westin nights because of how Starwood did it. But everything else, including nights earned from credit cards, is part of my Marriott Bonvoy account now.

I was also a member of Hilton HHonors/Honors, with quite a few nights in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I now have exactly 3 lifetime nights, all of which I earned in 2018. That's because I allowed my account to lapse, and the terms & conditions allowed Hilton to erase my nights, points, and even my account number. Fortunately, I had moved most of my points to an airline before this happened. (I now have an entirely new Hilton Honors account).
C17PSGR and margarita girl like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'd love to see the letter and whether it was conditioned or lifetime was defined. Can you post it?
In 2002, I received a letter from Mr. Marriott's office stating, "I have removed the Platinum renewal requirements. [] Platinum elite membership will automatically renew each year regardless of the number of nights you stay at Marriott."

In 2004 (I think), David Marriott sent me a letter saying that I was an Emeritus Platinum.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
In 2002, I received a letter from Mr. Marriott's office stating, "I have removed the Platinum renewal requirements. […] Platinum elite membership will automatically renew each year regardless of the number of nights you stay at Marriott."

In 2004 (I think), David Marriott sent me a letter saying that I was an Emeritus Platinum.
Maybe the original poster should get the facts right surrounding her husband and then write a carefully thought letter to Bill Marriott. His home address is easily found. I'm sure this is the best way to get an exemption, if that's what the original poster wants. I personally don't think they have a case but who knows. Maybe Bill would feel sorry for them.

I actually wonder if more customers pestered the chairman and board members, who have a bounden duty not to be a rubber-stamp for the CEO, to alert them to all the problems everyone has experienced. I wonder how much Sorenson, Flueck and the rest actually share.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Maybe the original poster should get the facts right surrounding her husband and then write a carefully thought letter to Bill Marriott.
To each their own, but I don't think that is a good idea. The wife is a third-party is this "dispute." Yes, related, but still a third party. Also, Mr. Marriott is no longer involved on an operational level. And this "dispute" hardly rises to a board-level issue.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
To each their own, but I don't think that is a good idea. The wife is a third-party is this "dispute." Yes, related, but still a third party. Also, Mr. Marriott is no longer involved on an operational level. And this "dispute" hardly rises to a board-level issue.
I didn't say it was the best option, but it may be the only option at this point if the original poster's husband maintained status and an active account all of these years and can't get anywhere with corporate.

I made my opinion clear earlier when I said all good things come to an end, eventually. But, if in fact there's a claim then writing Bill Marriott may be the only option left since it is impractical to think Marriott can verify any status and account activity from the 1980s or 1990s.

As for involving the board, I think there is widespread issues involving hundreds of customers that Marriott's CEO dismisses as chatter and noise around the edges. I'm sure the CEO tells the board the same thing that he said publicly about these legitimate complaints about the way the process has unfolded. If that's the case then the corporate board is not getting honest information to guide them in the execution of their duty.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would never write Mr. Marriott a letter to his personal home about something like this, but that's just me.

Also, with due respect to the OP, it's not like MAR didn't announce SPG-MAR was merging, dates to do things, etc. The time to have gotten it all sorted/made sure everything was kosher was prior to just before a trip where they want elite benefits.

The UA angle is irrelevant other than the courtesy extension to MAR Gold, which is worth less than it was previously.

Cheers.
NJNY likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I would never write Mr. Marriott a letter to his personal home about something like this, but that's just me.
There is probably no other way to contact him, unless you trust that mail sent to him at the headquarters is actually seen by him.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm very confident that nights in the courtyard club program did not count and that Courtyard wasnt rolled into the program until later. Maybe in the 90s.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If memory serves me (and it rarely does these days) Starwood did not count/carryover lifetime totals for any Sheraton Club or Westin Premier members when they created the Starwood Preferred Guest program in 1999. I seem to recall we all had to start from scratch at that point. I could be wrong about that however. Highest I achieved in the Marriott Marquis program was Black Card. Highest I achieved in the Westin Premier program was Burgandy Card. Don't recollect what it took to achieve those levels but I think they were pretty high elite levels.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
If I'm the Marriott decision maker, I would ask for documentation for the night's claimed. I know that most will think that's an unreasonable request, but I'd argue saving pre-1985 info is also an unreasonable request by the OP on Marriott.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
If I'm the Marriott decision maker, I would ask for documentation for the night's claimed. I know that most will think that's an unreasonable request, but I'd argue saving pre-1985 info is also an unreasonable request by the OP on Marriott.
even more simple. What was the night count at 12/31/2018? These nights (whether right or wrong) were shown on both Marriott and SPG. If you have those previously recorded, then it would be simple to go back to Marriott and say you qualify for a certain level, unless you got one of those Bill Marriott I bless you with platinum letters. Again. Cant be waking up now and say the 500+ nights is wrong.
C17PSGR likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.