Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Customer Service refused to send me to the Loyalty desk

Customer Service refused to send me to the Loyalty desk

Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Allegis owned Westin and United, back in the day:
So there was a loyalty program called Allegis? OP's husband claims to be a member of Allegis.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
So there was a loyalty program called Allegis? OP's husband claims to be a member of Allegis.
She said, "Furthermore, he was an Allegis member and stayed at innumerable Westins back in that day. No record."

This might be the most outrageous of her complaints. The idea that Marriott would have any record of her husband's stays at pre-Starwood Westin, which has been bought or sold three or four times since the 1980s, is absurd. The Westin that he stayed at "back in the day" doesn't exist anymore.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I don't remember a loyalty program called Allegis. Have no idea whether Hertz rentals or Westin stays counted toward United miles.

Marriott had a program that included the word Marquis and another program called something like Courtyard Club, that cost $10 a year to join and included some benefits. Stays at the Courtyard didn't count toward the Marquis points.

I think my points in the Marquis program rolled into the Marriott Rewards program when the name changed so, I'd guess that OP's husbands points did too. I have no clue whether it counted for status years but if the OP hasn't been staying at Marriott the past few years, seems unlikely.

But I doubt David Flueck knows what it took to get the Black Marquis card .... so wouldn't expect anyone on the phone to.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am a bit confused. In this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884021-post1189.html the OP says hubby should be lifetime Gold and they they were Marriott Plat last year only because of being UA Gold.
”My husband and I are both Gold and Million Milers on UA. For a while this year we had Marriott Platinum but now see we are both downgraded to Gold. The way my husband, now retired, traveled on business and was year after year a Black card member, then Gold, he should be at least Lifetime Gold, and he is not. Doesn't buy much but at least after Marriott down grades or drops UA, he will still have Gold.”

So if they knew they were only Gold and only should be lifetime Gold, why now the demand for lifetime Plat? I get mourning the loss of Plat benefits but it seems she is angling for something he isn’t entitled to by trying to bring decades old programs into the picture because they lost the UA perk. Or am I just confused by the whole thing?
ryw likes this.

Last edited by Finkface; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
But I doubt David Flueck knows what it took to get the Black Marquis card .... so wouldn't expect anyone on the phone to.
Anyone who knows what it was is probably dead or retired:

You had to stay at least 50 nights to become a Black elite level member and dont forget that you could not earn points at properties such as Fairfield Inn or Courtyard by Marriott, which had their own frequent guest loyalty programs. Those 50 nights had to be earned only at the higher-level Marriott hotel properties.

https://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/b...t-rewards.html
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Anyone who knows what it was is probably dead or retired:
Well ... maybe not

I think I have one of those locks somewhere .....

But I do remember traveling with a colleague who is likely retired who pulled out his Black Card, told the FD to put us both on the concierge floor, and to give me an application for the program so I could start earning points.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Allegis was not the name of a loyalty program.

For a relatively short time period in the 1980s. Allegis Corp. was the parent company of United Airlines, Hertz Car Rental, Westin Hotels, and Hilton International. UAL Inc. had gone on an acquisition spree and changed its name to Allegis Corp. But soon Allegis Corp. was unloading its acquisitions and the Allegis Corp. name disappeared.

The airline loyalty program at the time of Allegis Corp. was MileagePlus, which is still the name of United Airlines' loyalty program today. Airline awards at the time included Westin stays and Hertz rentals.

One of the great benefits at the time was being able to check in and check bags for United flights when returning a Hertz car right at the airport Hertz facility.

Westin also had a program. I remembering signing up for it at the Westin William Penn (now an Omni) in Pittsburg and immediately getting free afternoon high tea for my wife and myself.

I supposed if someone had such a Westin account, and a kept it alive through all subsequent changes in the ownership of Westin — and never, ever let it expire over a period of more than 30 years — it's possible that the nights would now be counted as lifetime nights in a Marriott Bonvoy account. Or maybe not.

However, I would not expect Marriott to recognize — or even be able to research — Westin nights from an expired account from the 1980s.

My Hilton Honors nights, points, and account number expired after just a few years of non-use in recent years. When I rejoined Hilton Honors last year, the phone agent was very nice, but reclaiming my old Hilton Honors membership — nights, points, and account number — was not possible.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Well ... maybe not

I think I have one of those locks somewhere .....

But I do remember traveling with a colleague who is likely retired who pulled out his Black Card, told the FD to put us both on the concierge floor, and to give me an application for the program so I could start earning points.
That's like right out of "Up in the Air" with George Clooney.

I love hearing about these stories. Every now and again when the club lounge (or whatever that particular calls it) isn't overcrowded you will hear some old-time road warrior share stories over a drink.

I imagine that a good number of us started off with an airline or hotel's loyalty program because of an influential colleague or boss.

I started off with IHG's Priority Club back in the early 2000s and had ambassador status with Intercontinental at one point, but switched to Marriott around 2012 under the influence of a now-retired colleague.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 7, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
Allegis was not the name of a loyalty program...........The airline loyalty program at the time of Allegis Corp. was MileagePlus, which is still the name of United Airlines' loyalty program today. Airline awards at the time included Westin stays and Hertz rentals......
So I gathered that OP's husband was, or still is, a member of Mileage Plus when stayed at Westin under Allegis. She wants those Westin stays, under Mileage Plus, to count for elite nights for Bonvoy?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

So I gathered that OP's husband was, or still is, a member of Mileage Plus when stayed at Westin under Allegis. She wants those Westin stays, under Mileage Plus, to count for elite nights for Bonvoy?
As I noted, Westin had its own program. Although Allegis Corp. tried to build synergy between its travel companies, there was never a loyalty program that counted all of them in an integrated program, if I remember correctly.

If someone had a Westin account in the 1980s and allowed that account to lapse (rather than keeping it alive through sufficiently frequent use over the past 30 years), I would expect that account now to be lost forever.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 7, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Horace
The airline loyalty program at the time of Allegis Corp. was MileagePlus ... One of the great benefits at the time was being able to check in and check bags for United flights when returning a Hertz car right at the airport Hertz facility.
One of the things you realize when searching on Google for benefits of defunct loyalty programs is just how much things ebb and flow.

It would be great to see a sky cap-type service return to Hertz.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
I am a bit confused. In this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884021-post1189.html the OP says hubby should be lifetime Gold and they they were Marriott Plat last year only because of being UA Gold.
”My husband and I are both Gold and Million Milers on UA. For a while this year we had Marriott Platinum but now see we are both downgraded to Gold. The way my husband, now retired, traveled on business and was year after year a Black card member, then Gold, he should be at least Lifetime Gold, and he is not. Doesn't buy much but at least after Marriott down grades or drops UA, he will still have Gold.”

So if they knew they were only Gold and only should be lifetime Gold, why now the demand for lifetime Plat? I get mourning the loss of Plat benefits but it seems she is angling for something he isn’t entitled to by trying to bring decades old programs into the picture because they lost the UA perk. Or am I just confused by the whole thing?
Lifetime legacy MR Gold is now lifetime Bonvoy/Starriott Plat. They're both the 50 nights per year status level.

However, way back when Marriott or whatever gave out lifetime status to its original members, was the highest level Gold or Plat? Or could it just have been elite or otherwise then? I'm asking because so many airline programs added higher tiers more recently and Starwood essentially did that when they formalized Amb and introduced the various levels of Plat. So it's not hard to suspect that MR introduced their Plat level at some later time.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Lifetime legacy MR Gold is now lifetime Bonvoy/Starriott Plat. They're both the 50 nights per year status level.

However, way back when Marriott or whatever gave out lifetime status to its original members, was the highest level Gold or Plat? Or could it just have been elite or otherwise then? I'm asking because so many airline programs added higher tiers more recently and Starwood essentially did that when they formalized Amb and introduced the various levels of Plat. So it's not hard to suspect that MR introduced their Plat level at some later time.
I've been Plat for 20+ years. When I became lifetime plat, the requirements were far higher than they are now. Can't remember when Marriott started lifetime status though.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, way back when Marriott or whatever gave out lifetime status to its original members, was the highest level Gold or Plat? Or could it just have been elite or otherwise then?

Back in 2004/2005, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite was already a thing.

Here's a FlyerTalk thread from 2005 that discuses it, including the lifetime status given to members who joined Marriott Honored Guest (the original name of what became Marriott Rewards and is now Marriott Bonvoy) in 1983: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite Credentials Arrived

I joined a year too late — 1984 — so I wasn't gifted the lifetime status for charter members. But it took me only a few years after 2004 to earn Lifetime Gold and then Lifetime Platinum status through whatever the published requirements were at the time.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 7, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been Plat for 20+ years. When I became lifetime plat, the requirements were far higher than they are now. Can't remember when Marriott started lifetime status though.
Yeah, I remember the requirements for legacy MR lifetime Plat being dropped twice in roughly the last dozen years. Not only were the points required decreased but they also totally dropped the requirement of IIRC twelve years in the program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.