Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Some candid thoughts from a director of rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some candid thoughts from a director of rooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The key aim of the Marriott franchise agreement change was to reduce the cost to the hotels, so if this increase is accurate it will have been more than compensated by decreases elsewhere.
C17PSGR and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Some of this information may be correct for a particular hotel, but it is certainly not true group-wide. I’ve seen recent management agreements that bear no resemblance to the OP.
C17PSGR and writerguyfl like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
He said the changeover has not been easy. Marriott brought in all new software and it’s taken ages to get people trained up on it. Their fees have gone up too. He said Sheraton would charge $7,800 a month for a hotel to be part of their system... Marriott charge $14,000! No wonder so many are leaving.
I just don't believe this because, as I understand it, Marriott gets a percentage of revenue. Maybe there is an additional monthly charge for affiliating but a flat fee of $14,000 doesn't sound like much given the Marriott brand is basically the hotel's entire identity, unless they're part of Autograph Collection, Luxury Collection, Tribute Portfolio or Design.

He said during the changeover their system was down for an entire day and they had to use a manual carbon paper credit card receipt machine!
And what does this have to do with Marriott? Systems go down all the time. It's just a reality of the world we live in these days. I'm actually surprised one of Marriott's genius (and overpaid) marketing and branding consultants hasn't told them that millennials prefer old-fashioned carbon receipts generated by credit card imprinter machines.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Some of this information may be correct for a particular hotel, but it is certainly not true group-wide. I’ve seen recent management agreements that bear no resemblance to the OP.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The key aim of the Marriott franchise agreement change was to reduce the cost to the hotels, so if this increase is accurate it will have been more than compensated by decreases elsewhere.
Many -- perhaps most -- properties are owned or managed by publicly traded entities, and many of these publicly traded entities own or operate hotels under several different brands. I don't know where this property is located but any material increase in fees would be reported in their public filings. I don't recall seeing anything like the Rooms Director is reporting. To the contrary, Marriott has promised fees (at least for the Bonvoy program) will decrease, largely due to the payments by credit card companies offering branded cards.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Many -- perhaps most -- properties are owned or managed by publicly traded entities, and many of these publicly traded entities own or operate hotels under several different brands. I don't know where this property is located but any material increase in fees would be reported in their public filings. I don't recall seeing anything like the Rooms Director is reporting. To the contrary, Marriott has promised fees (at least for the Bonvoy program) will decrease, largely due to the payments by credit card companies offering branded cards.
More properly, Marriott changed the fee structure: there’s an increased flat fee and and lowered revenue-dependant fees.
svo242 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Ahh ... got it. Sounds like the guest history info in Lightspeed may not have transitioned over to Marsha.
It was all lost. I've been told that by managers at two properties. At SGS they've been trying to recreate it.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I had a very interesting conversation recently with the Director of Rooms of a Starwood hotel who happened to be driving a shuttle bus. It was a long journey and so I had some time to probe for information...

He said they only reimburse the first 50% of point redeemed rooms... not ALL like Starwood.

So what does that mean? It means for big events when occupancy is high or room rates are high a director of rooms he will only stick on 50% of the rooms to be redeemed and the rest have to be cash rates!

It is not in his interest for any more than 50% of rooms to be on points as they are not getting properly recompensed.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps there was a reason he was driving the shuttle bus

MAR reimburses rack rate when occupancy gets to 90%, and the 50% comment is wrong as well.

Cheers.
I'm glad that the 50% comment is inaccurate, but the fact that the guy who controls inventory thinks it's true is just as bad, at least as far as that one hotel goes. We all know that there have been issues retraining front desk staff following the merger ; it's disappointing to know that the training failures reach up to hotel management as well.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by swag
I'm glad that the 50% comment is inaccurate, but the fact that the guy who controls inventory thinks it's true is just as bad, at least as far as that one hotel goes. We all know that there have been issues retraining front desk staff following the merger ; it's disappointing to know that the training failures reach up to hotel management as well.
Well, the hotel shouldn't hire the airport shuttle driver to manage its room inventory.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps there was a reason he was driving the shuttle bus

MAR reimburses rack rate when occupancy gets to 90%, and the 50% comment is wrong as well.

Cheers.
You can be sure that Marriott does not pay, in any event or circumstance, rack rate. Only suckers pay rack rate.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
It was all lost. I've been told that by managers at two properties. At SGS they've been trying to recreate it.
Well that explains why Suiran was acting like I'd never been there before back in February. I was really confused.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Well, the hotel shouldn't hire the airport shuttle driver to manage its room inventory.
Maybe this was one of the smaller locations where the franchisee/owner sometimes fills in and helps with other roles when the property is short staffed?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Minor Note: In a typical hotel, the Director of Rooms does not control inventory. The Director of Rooms controls the daily operations of a hotel.

The Director of Sales oversees inventory via the Reservations Department. Depending upon size, a hotel might have a Revenue Manager and a Reservations Manager or that position might be combined. But, the Reservations Department falls under the sales umbrella, not the operations side.

As someone who used to work in hotels (Front Desk, Accounting, Revenue Management), I agree with the other folks here who are questioning the veracity of what you were told. Unless she or he has worked in sales or accounting (or has access to the books or franchise agreement), that person might not actually know enough to make the conclusions made.

It's pretty poor form, too. If I had shared any of the information here (true or not) with a guest, I would have been fired.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Apr 7, 2019 at 6:39 pm Reason: Added qualifier.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by daniellam
Maybe this was one of the smaller locations where the franchisee/owner sometimes fills in and helps with other roles when the property is short staffed?
I'm not aware of many properties where a general manager allows the owner to work in any capacity. To my knowledge, Marriott doesn't allow a property to be operated by the owner or a third-party company unless they have demonstrated and bona fida hotel management experience. I'm not sure an owner who is also the part-time hotel shuttle bus driver would meet these qualifications.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not aware of many properties where a general manager allows the owner to work in any capacity. To my knowledge, Marriott doesn't allow a property to be operated by the owner or a third-party company unless they have demonstrated and bona fida hotel management experience. I'm not sure an owner who is also the part-time hotel shuttle bus driver would meet these qualifications.
In some locales, certain family businesses own a variety of smaller highway/airport properties under different flags/brands, as such they can demonstrate bona fide hotel management experience and insist that their own family members/relatives get hired as the general manager.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
You can be sure that Marriott does not pay, in any event or circumstance, rack rate. Only suckers pay rack rate.
They meant Average Daily Rate or ADR.
svo242 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.