should I get my points back?

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Similar situation for me, I booked a hotel in YEG for 5 nights on a Thursday for stay starting Friday. Then I Friday, I decided using points would be a better option. So I called and asked them They said fine no cancellation fees as you are rebooking on points. So we will see what happens.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I fear that the OP could get the points returned but be charged rack rate for the room. I suspect that the front desk agent checked in the OP rather than cancelling the reservation (would the employee even be authorized to do this, although that's not the customer's problem?). An unethical employee working alone might have sold the room for cash and pocketed the money during such a high demand period.
Waiving the cancellation penalty is always at the propertys discretion as the charge is made locally and never by Marriott and credited directly to the entity operating the hotel. I have had cancellation penalties waived before by contacting the properties directly before cancelling.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ksucats
The manager who I left a voicemail for on Monday called me back today. Was very apologetic for not calling me back sooner. He said he had been on hold with corporate trying to get my points returned and got disconnected. He said he would try again, but it may have to wait until Monday when corporate is fully staffed.
LOL. So even hotel managers are having the same problems with Bonvoy CS that everyone else is!
ksucats, Twickenham and jerry305 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Waiving the cancellation penalty is always at the propertys discretion as the charge is made locally and never by Marriott and credited directly to the entity operating the hotel. I have had cancellation penalties waived before by contacting the properties directly before cancelling.
I agree, I had a 2 night stay at the Marriott at Circular Quay in Sydney and had already checked-in. My flight to SYD went MX and my departure was delayed 24 hours. I initiated a chat through the APP explaining the delay. Not only did they shorten my stay to 1 night without issue or fees I received a 7:30 am early check-in and an upgrade to a Junior Suite upon arrival. I had breakfast in the lounge on the day I checked-in too.

James in Capetown.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Points are back in my account now. Big plus for this property in KC and will go out of my way to stay with them when possible going forward.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:20 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I agree, I had a 2 night stay at the Marriott at Circular Quay in Sydney and had already checked-in. My flight to SYD went MX and my departure was delayed 24 hours. I initiated a chat through the APP explaining the delay. Not only did they shorten my stay to 1 night without issue or fees I received a 7:30 am early check-in and an upgrade to a Junior Suite upon arrival. I had breakfast in the lounge on the day I checked-in too.

James in Capetown.
Just had similar issue at Osaka Marriott. We had a MX issue (toilet... ugghhh) that delayed us 7 hours causing us to miss our Tokyo to Osaka flight. Messaged hotel and they changed my reservation including the refund of points for one night.

Did not give us a early check in though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.