Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best 25k (Category 4) and 35k (Category 5) Hotels (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 25k (Category 4) and 35k (Category 5) Hotels (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
One of my favorite category 4 Hotels is the Springhill Suites Laguardia -- I am usually traveling to NYC to visit family and the hotel is usually $150-$250 a night (unless there is a nearby concert, in which case teh rates go through the roof). Parking is $20/day; the rooms are generally larger then anything you can find in Manhattan and driving into the city on the weekend is no big deal and street parking isn't as hard to find as you'd imagine. It's a great base to visit family in the city and out in Long Island and there are some fantastic restaurants in Queens too.

I'll hang onto my old marriott card as long as this hotel stays a Category 4 because I'm usually doubling the value of my annual fee. Also, one silver lining for me with the category changes is that Fairfield Inn and Suites Laguardia is shifting DOWN from Category 5 to Category 4, so I now have even MORE options to use it in the area.

That hotel is also reasonable. Rooms are smaller compared to Springhill Suites, but in line with what I've seen in other NYC hotels. Also, parking is free there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by unclepants
We spent five days and wished we had spent more. The breakfast is superb and the location hard to beat.

If you add in day trips - any of Bruges, Liege, Ypres/Flanders, Antwerp, Brussels (which also has some good Cat5s) to name a few - you could spend a magnificent seven days.
Sounds good! Any more C5 Euro suggestions for a week, by any chance?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by damon88
We were able to use two of our 35K certificates at the Paseo in Palm Springs. Will report back after our stay next week.
Looking forward to your report. We saw the property when we were in the area in October but I felt like it had an odd location right across the street from the El Paseo shopping center parking garage and it seemed more business oriented than touristy....building looked like it could have been planned as a FI but just with a different logo on the building.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Had caught my eye! Just seemed a little bit isolated for my liking. Have you stayed?
Yes I stayed in 2019, overall I didn't think it was too isolated, Corfu Town is easy driving distance.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Just used a 1-4 TP for a week at the Four Points, Central Park in Sydney, Australia in January. There's only 2 options for a Cat. 1-4 in Sydney, and this location turned out to be great.
  • 3 stops from the airport on the train.
  • Near University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), so dozens of affordable food options, but also a quick walk to higher end shops and restaurants.
  • 30 minute walk to the Harbour and Quay, or 10 minutes on train from nearby station.
  • Public transport to Bondi or Coogee for the walk between the two was easy as well.
Not going up in category, so great place to use lower-end certs.

Note that the restaurant serves breakfast, but dinner is really limited to the bar. Happy hour with $1AUD oysters and cheap cocktails was a good choice before eating somewhere nearby.
Is there a thread for that hotel? I couldn't find one so I went to Sheraton on the Park instead. Is the food in the lounge any good?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yes I stayed in 2019, overall I didn't think it was too isolated, Corfu Town is easy driving distance.
Good to hear, not much available on the review front! Suggestion seems to be to hire a car
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is there a thread for that hotel? I couldn't find one so I went to Sheraton on the Park instead. Is the food in the lounge any good?
We lost our real elite status with Marriott, so we had no lounge access. I can say the rooms are modern and the staff was really excellent. Small fitness center and no pool, though.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lsquare
Here you go.

Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Central Park - Australia [Master Thread]
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Hey everyone, we have 2 cat 1-4 one-week partial packages left that we need to use (could use both together for 4 adults). We will be vaccinated by the time we use these, but given covid restrictions currently, we are having a hard time trying to find a good place to go for a solid week. I don't trust Marriott to extend these past 8/1/21, so just need to get something booked. We're based in DFW so always enjoy getting away to mountains, beach, or water. We've been to most major/large cities in the US and don't need to go back for a whole week. Always prefer international travel but seems iffy at best except a few nearby spots, which is really disappointing because that was our plan to get good value out of these packages. If US travel, prefer West coast to East coast.

Any suggestions from previous TP bookings you all have done? Reading through this whole thread, many of the places listed are off-limits for now.

Some ideas so far:
  • Colorado Springs - Mountains & Breweries. Colorado Springs Marriott looks like best property.
  • Mendoza - No idea if Argentina will open up, but Sheraton Mendoza would be great for wining & dining for a week.
  • Bali - Many great cat 3 & 4 properties, but seems very unlikely that Indonesia borders will be open.
  • Florida - Many places, don't know where to begin. Surely there a decent beach location.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Does anyone have any opinions on using certs at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani in Honolulu? I'm a Platinum, so not sure what kind of upgrade I could expect since the property doesn't have suites but appears to have several room types.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:17 am

Interested in hearing any European Cat 5 recommendations? Have several C5 Travel Pkg’s that I’ll need to find a use for.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I enjoy the Hotel Straf in Milan. I believe they are a category 5. The breakfast isn't bad, and the location in my opinion cannot be beat. You are close to the Duomo, the contemporary art museum, la scala is walking distance, and also, if you or your travel companion love shopping, La Rinascente cannot be beat. Just typing this makes me want to go back to Milano....
SPN Lifer and pazza2000 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I enjoy the Hotel Straf in Milan. I believe they are a category 5. The breakfast isn't bad, and the location in my opinion cannot be beat. You are close to the Duomo, the contemporary art museum, la scala is walking distance, and also, if you or your travel companion love shopping, La Rinascente cannot be beat. Just typing this makes me want to go back to Milano....
Sounds good. That nice breakfast won’t be complimentary as a Design Hotel of course

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.