Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best 25k (Category 4) and 35k (Category 5) Hotels (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 25k (Category 4) and 35k (Category 5) Hotels (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Hotel Saskatchewan (Autograph Collection) is an absolutely gorgeous hotel in Canada. If you had a reason to be in the Regina, Saskatchewan area, it's an absolute steal as a Category 3 hotel. If you look up the photos of the hotel, the lobby is stunning and the entire hotel exudes elegance and formality. If the exact same hotel was in a larger city like downtown Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, it could easily be a Category 6 property.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:35 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jtpc
Hotel Saskatchewan (Autograph Collection) is an absolutely gorgeous hotel in Canada. If you had a reason to be in the Regina, Saskatchewan area, it's an absolute steal as a Category 3 hotel. If you look up the photos of the hotel, the lobby is stunning and the entire hotel exudes elegance and formality. If the exact same hotel was in a larger city like downtown Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, it could easily be a Category 6 property.
Yes, this is a true statement. With the yearly category changes, Marriott will make sure this won't happen. We can only find best values in the remote areas or countries.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:11 am

I'm not familiar with Philly hotels, needed to be there for a specific weekend and figured might as well use the cert instead of letting it go to waste.
Originally Posted by christianj
Wasn’t this a Courtyard that was known for having some very small rooms that’s now rebranded? I thought I read it was a lipstick on pig renovation/rebranding.
I'll let you keep your buzz of assuming you know how other ppl decide to use their cert.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Don't ruin the OP's buzz over getting a $399 room for free. (even though the rest of the year it might cost $100) For some people the supposed savings or cents per point is more important than whether the hotel is actually decent...
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just used a 25K certificate at the Moxy Downtown Chicago over Labor Day weekend...rate was ~$300/night. Fun, funky little hotel that was perfect for my wife and I for a one night get away in the city.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I just used an expiring 35K cert at the Residence Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront over Labor Day Weekend which saved me about $350. Everything about the stay was fabulous and my wife and I truly enjoyed ourselves.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
used cat 4 cert for Zürich Autograph Collection, worth 380CHF, upgraded to biggest suite
margarita girl and unclepants like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by spek
used cat 4 cert for Zürich Autograph Collection, worth 380CHF
Was it really worth that, or is that what they were charging? I have found that hotel rooms are rarely worth what they charge.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Was it really worth that, or is that what they were charging? I have found that hotel rooms are rarely worth what they charge.
It really depends on what else you want to do with your money, isn't it? If you don't like spending money on hotel rooms, spend it on bottle service and miniature train sets instead!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If you don't like spending money on hotel rooms, spend it on bottle service and miniature train sets instead!
No, I just don't like overpaying. Whenever someone says a hotel room is worth $500, I question it, because I'd say that no hotel room is actually worth that much.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
SWISS prices are swiss prices, just can't compare them. But won't be happy to pay out in cash
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, I just don't like overpaying. Whenever someone says a hotel room is worth $500, I question it, because I'd say that no hotel room is actually worth that much.
There's a whole forum on Flyertalk full of folks who disagree called Luxury Hotels and Travel. They seem to be into "spas" and something called "service", which I have not yet gotten my head around. I am with you as to the price I want to pay for a hotel room, but there is apparently a whole other world out there.

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 8, 2019 at 2:27 pm Reason: Removed masked/veiled vulgar text (per FT Rule 16).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

We just used a category 4 cert at the Sheraton Gateway LAX. We had already extended the cert one time and were happy to find a place we needed to stay and could use the cert. The room was just $120 plus tax that night but we were happy to save the cash out of pocket. My husband is platinum thru yearend and we were upgraded to a lovely suite.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:43 pm

Recommendation for Cat 5 hotels for 3 night romantic outing

Any Recommendation for Cat 5 hotels for 3 night redemption this fall before Thanksgiving - this is celebrate a couple's event!
Drive or Fly from SFO, SAN or LAX

Hilton Grand Vacations has been emailing me - 4-day/3-night vacation package to Las Vegas for just $199, PLUS receive 25,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points! - otherwise I was going take one of theirs.

Any other tips?

Last edited by sciconf; Sep 8, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by sciconf
Any Recommendation for Cat 5 hotels for 3 night redemption this fall before Thanksgiving - this is celebrate a couple's event!
Drive or Fly from SFO, SAN or LAX
If you are wanting to stay in the US and not travel too far then I would look at the Cat. 5 in Palm Springs or Scottsdale. Outside of the US...Mexico? There are some very nice Cat. 5 Luxury Collection options if you don't want Cancun, Cabo or PV.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
If you are wanting to stay in the US and not travel too far then I would look at the Cat. 5 in Palm Springs or Scottsdale. Outside of the US...Mexico? There are some very nice Cat. 5 Luxury Collection options if you don't want Cancun, Cabo or PV.
Could you tell me what are those Marriott Cat. 5 Luxury Collection options - preferably to something that I can drive instead of flight?
Is driving safe in Mexico - I never been there before - I don't know how long it will take to cross the border?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.