Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott.com currency rip off on pre-paid rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Bonvoy Titanium member and I booked a pre-paid rate at a Meridien in Jaipur India. I happened to look at my credit card statement, and saw that while the rate was in INR but I was charged in USD with a 5% markup. I double checked the rate - it's definitely in INR with no mention of a 'home currency'. The charge was about $20 more than it should be.

I called the elite line and they opened a case. I called back two weeks later -- they were working on it. Called back again three weeks later -- the case had been closed inexplicably, and then the Marriott rep disconnected the line. Called back again, and was randomly transferred to the hotel in India without any explanation. Called back again - was told the hotel refused the refund as it was a pre-paid rate from marriott.com, and that Marriott had no control over it either. Was told to call the corporate office of Marriott if I didn't like the answer. Sigh.

Is this the future? I'm disappointed with this type of service over a small issue. Obviously I'll just open a credit card dispute, but thought I should try resolving it nicely.

Any lawyers out there? I bet you could make a fortune recovering thousands of these authorized dynamic currency conversion fees from Marriott.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
dispute it with your credit card company. it's simple. Dispute the $20 and initiate a charge back.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Yep, done. They immediately credited it. But really, is that necessary?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wrightbrother
Yep, done. They immediately credited it. But really, is that necessary?
They always immediately credit - that doesn't mean you won. The hotel still has time to present its case and can simply say they charge USD.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Yes
Reading this makes me wary to stay with Marriott when traveling internationally.
Mustang Sally likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

The other side of this coin: pay in the local currency by card and the rate is correct because the exchange rate is not determined by the hotel; but then you might notice that an entirely different rate is applied for the purposes of crediting points ( presumably this latter rate, disadvantageous to the guest, IS determined by the hotel). Consequence: lower earning of points and lower ( than actual) expenditure in USD for those tracking spend for Ambassador status.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They always immediately credit - that doesn't mean you won. The hotel still has time to present its case and can simply say they charge USD.
If the OP has a receipt in INR but was charged in USD, he should easily win a dispute for the amount of the difference--both MC and Visa prohibit DCC without the cardholder's explicit permission (and Amex prohibits it altogether). For an online booking it's pretty simple--if the receipt was in INR, the charge should've been in INR.
Isochronous, Torode and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Looks like I have (yet another) thing to check when I book then. Us “internationals” are really getting a hard time of it.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Reading this makes me wary to stay with Marriott when traveling internationally.
all brands do this, it more property specific that’s want to make money on DCC.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
all brands do this, it more property specific that’s want to make money on DCC.
It's certainly not limited to Marriott properties.

I seem to recall that this is a particular problem in India.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
If the OP has a receipt in INR but was charged in USD, he should easily win a dispute for the amount of the difference--both MC and Visa prohibit DCC without the cardholder's explicit permission (and Amex prohibits it altogether). For an online booking it's pretty simple--if the receipt was in INR, the charge should've been in INR.
This. OP went the correct route with the credit card dispute. You're going to get nowhere with marriott 'customer service' as you've already seen... zero or less than zero help. They could care less and don't even know where/who to route it to for resolution. They're just closing cases to keep the number and turnaround time lower.
Isochronous, KRSW and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's certainly not limited to Marriott properties.

I seem to recall that this is a particular problem in India.
and China is where I’m having most of the DCC prepaid issues.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:05 pm

Charged all China and India hotels to Amex specifically because of these issues
Isochronous and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I am not sure where you are booking, but IME if you read the terms they clearly say what currency you will be charged in...specifically in the section that has a link down by the cancellation information right before you pay
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
When booking a reservation on the Marriott website for a European hotel reservation recently I was given the option of paying for the stay in USD or EUR. I had never seen that before and it stopped my in my tracks. I now suspect that I had I chosen USD I would have been secretly charged a DCC fee. If I remember correctly the default was USD and I changed it EUR to specifically to avoid any DCC scams. I wonder if this is what snagged the OP. Has anyone else seen this currency choice when making an online reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.