FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Given no consistency in service/status recognition between brands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963678-given-no-consistency-service-status-recognition-between-brands.html)

transportbiz Apr 2, 2019 1:36 pm

Given no consistency in service/status recognition between brands

I know the website barely functions as it is, but would it really be impossible to show, what the specific benefits based on MY status I can expect at any given property BEFORE I book it, let alone before I arrive there? Some hotels there is breakfast, some there is not, some there is welcome gift, (which is pathetic coming from SPG, just like the green choice bonus, it stayed the same, IE took a 67% haircut) some there is not, some the high speed internet is included, some you have to argue about it, then there is the resort fee...resort? The Sheraton Time Square is a resort? In what world is a downtown hotel a resort?

obunewbie17 Apr 2, 2019 4:00 pm

Any commonalities with where you're experiencing the frustrations (certain brand, certain market, etc)? Or is it just random and bad luck? I can't ever imagine the website having the granularity you're craving.

Take away the resort fee and it'll be replaced with a different name, or the dollar amount tacked onto the room rate and/or parking fee.

Regarding the internet -- when/where have you had to argue? Some hotels don't have an upgraded option (moderately depressing, but can't fight it), but even in the instances where I've been erroneously charged, I called the property back and they reversed the charge and issued a new folio for me.

transportbiz Apr 2, 2019 10:54 pm

Yeah, knowing if internet is included or not included, if breakfast is included for Plat or not, it seems AC hotels it is not, didn't learn that till I checked in, then find out it's not their "policy" and likewise Courtyard. Is Marriott an amalgamation of a bunch of unrelated brands all doing their own thing, or does Marriott wish to have some consistency? With SPG a new concept was showing up at the end, but prior to booking you were always informed "Design Hotels don't provide the same SPG benefits as other Starwood properties, please see details on the hotel website", they were very transparent about deviations of benefits.

Dr. HFH Apr 3, 2019 4:37 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 30957448)
I know the website barely functions as it is, but would it really be impossible to show, what the specific benefits based on MY status I can expect at any given property BEFORE I book it, let alone before I arrive there?

Actually, I do think that it would be difficult. Some properties don't adhere to Marriott corporate policy; but they might not want Marriott to know.

adunker Apr 3, 2019 5:10 am

I know the website barely functions as it is, but would it really be impossible to show, what the specific benefits based on MY status I can expect at any given property BEFORE I book it, let alone before I arrive there? Some hotels there is breakfast, some there is not, some there is welcome gift, (which is pathetic coming from SPG, just like the green choice bonus, it stayed the same, IE took a 67% haircut) some there is not, some the high speed internet is included, some you have to argue about it, then there is the resort fee...resort? The Sheraton Time Square is a resort? In what world is a downtown hotel a resort?

Honestly, this sounds great. This would be a highly welcomed feature!

JBord Apr 3, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 30959083)
Is Marriott an amalgamation of a bunch of unrelated brands all doing their own thing, or does Marriott wish to have some consistency? With SPG a new concept was showing up at the end, but prior to booking you were always informed "Design Hotels don't provide the same SPG benefits as other Starwood properties, please see details on the hotel website", they were very transparent about deviations of benefits.

To your question, yes Marriott is an amalgamation of brands. I'd say they're related though, not unrelated. I don't believe they want consistency between brands, but I do believe they want it within a brand. So, you should expect that breakfast is never included in a CY for example. It's always been this way on the Marriott side. I'm sure some people will disagree, but my opinion is if there aren't differences between brands, why have different brands and pricing structures at all?

Honestly, the brand consistency is one reason I've been loyal to Marriott. As a business traveler, I typically stay in CY's, FS Marriott, and Rens. I know exactly what to expect in each one of those.

While I'd love for the website to have the features you describe, I can imagine it would be difficult to program among all the different statuses -- especially when people are booking several months in advance and status may change after booking. I can imagine the once-Titanium, now-Silver showing the front desk their print out from the website saying they got breakfast and lounge access...

But if they can find a way to make it work, I completely agree with you. I can never remember what benefits are included or not in the brands I rarely book, such as AC, Delta, etc.

SkiAdcock Apr 4, 2019 1:41 am

I know the website barely functions as it is, but would it really be impossible to show, what the specific benefits based on MY status I can expect at any given property BEFORE I book it, let alone before I arrive there? Some hotels there is breakfast, some there is not, some there is welcome gift, (which is pathetic coming from SPG, just like the green choice bonus, it stayed the same, IE took a 67% haircut) some there is not, some the high speed internet is included, some you have to argue about it, then there is the resort fee...resort?

You do realize that's available on the Marriott website, right? It's a chart, but it has a listing by status.

Cheers.

transportbiz Apr 8, 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30963226)
You do realize that's available on the Marriott website, right? It's a chart, but it has a listing by status.

Cheers.

Great, and where is it buried?

dayone Apr 8, 2019 5:03 pm

Your Complete Guide to Marriott Elite Breakfast Benefits

SkiAdcock Apr 8, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30979723)

In fairness to the OP, I think he was referring to the chart which talks about all bennies by brand & not just breakfast. There's another thread that has the link w/ what he's looking for. I thought it was this one. But it's not, & I'm too busy trying to keep the exec lounge sticky thread updated to find the other thread so OP can find it on his own.

Cheers.

Magic Pickles Apr 8, 2019 6:12 pm

lol! It’s from a biased non-Marriott source that contains errors. They don’t even mention the Sheraton brand regarding club lounge access.

SkiAdcock Apr 8, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles (Post 30979913)

lol! It’s from a biased non-Marriott source that contains errors. They don’t even mention the Sheraton brand regarding club lounge access.

Oh for crickey's sake. He posted a link that probably came up on google, but was trying to be helpful. If someone wants to know the breakfast bennies, there are PLENTY of links in multiple threads directly from the MAR site that provides the info. Just like there's a link in another thread that actually provides the info the OP wants.

Cheers.

margarita girl Apr 8, 2019 6:32 pm

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

SkiAdcock Apr 8, 2019 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30979974)

Well, that's another part as that's only pertaining to PAG (but thank you for posting!).

I'm thinking either I need to figure out the other thread where the link for EVERYTHING was posted or hockeyinsider or I are going to have to post the big charts we saw in hotels that were provided to the staff.

Cheers.

transportbiz Apr 9, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks I'm looking for something on the official site, Marriott, my primary point here is how oblique Marriott is with this. The the points guy even has to "investigate" at all to let inform members if evidence of this lack of transparency. Also, his research is lacking as AC Hotels also do not offer breakfast, and nor to Courtyards.