Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Possible New Bonvoy Government Rate Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible New Bonvoy Government Rate Requirements

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 4:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
I will just sum it up. The hotels do want this business right now. There is a labor shortage. They can not run at full capacity correctly so they want the highest paying customers only
The arguments about such a policy are pre-pandemic (as Hilton been doing it for years). It is not really an individual hotel decision but done on a global level by Marriott as evidence on the global rule changes. I suspect they always intended it to be like that as they do have Government leisure rates in many places but as per usual just were sloppy before.

That said, from a competitive aspect it is a poor choice as now the chain will not be even an option to look at on leisure travel and on official travel as there are plenty of choices around not a choice either. If they don’t want Government travel just don’t offer the rate (as many individual hotels do over the weekends). If one has to pay full price there many other much better choices around.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
My guess is that the hotel wanted the OP's business when occupancy was way down, but is pulling out a previously overlooked requirement now, since business is coming back.

The OP mentioned staying in FL, where hotels have rebounded nicely from the COVID crisis.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Has anyone had any issues with government rate and having to show government orders to use the gov rate?
Old May 5, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It's never an issue if you bring a copy of your travel authorization (TA) on each trip, speaking from over 20 years of experience.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mag_nate
This sucks... I have a couple of stays coming up on the fed rate and while I am sure I could argue that they can't just unilaterally change the terms of the rate like that, I really just don't have the energy to deal with Marriott. Guess I'm cancelling and looking elsewhere.
I am a gov employee and have stayed at well over 100 different Marriott's in the past 5 years and can count on 1 hand how many times I have been asked for my ID.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:38 pm

You business is not wanted right now. There is a labor shortage and huge increase in labor costs. Most hotel and resorts only want high paying customers.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 19)
It's never an issue if you bring a copy of your travel authorization (TA) on each trip, speaking from over 20 years of experience.
Originally Posted by estedman (Post # 20)
I am a gov employee and have stayed at well over 100 different Marriott's in the past 5 years and can count on 1 hand how many times I have been asked for my ID.
I agree, I was only asked in less than 10% of my stays. But I always had a copy of my TA, just in case.

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post # 21)
You business is not wanted right now. There is a labor shortage and huge increase in labor costs. Most hotel and resorts only want high paying customers.
If cost considerations encourage certain hotels to "follow the rules" and demand proof of eligibility, that is all the more reason to be prepared. Bring a copy of your TA!

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 5, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Old May 6, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by yuel
Has anyone had any issues with government rate and having to show government orders to use the gov rate?
Read the rules of what is required. Most of the times TA are just one way of showing eligibility (although always wise to bring a printed copy along). It is almost never requested, but good to have at hand.

There are other rates that available only for federal government employees that are either designed for leisure travel, or do not require official travel (and can be cheaper than the per diem rate as well).
SPN Lifer and WrightHI like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Centurion
If that were true hotels would simply not offer the government rate(s) on nights when they only want "high paying guests". Discounted rates have always served the purpose of selling those rooms which cannot be sold at the higher rates. If, due to labor shortages, a hotel cannot handle 100% occupancy, then they hotel can always reduce capacity to a manageable level and eliminate the lower rates. There is simply no business reason to offer a rate that you don't really want to offer.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:48 am

Yes and no. There is a CY that I stay frequently. When using the state/local government rate, I must present ID and provide an explanation of what government business I have since my state/local government is in a different state than the CY.

Other properties sporadically check state/local government ID (business cards are not acceptable). Also, I only book the government rate for legit government business. I've had one property check up on me (longer term stay at a very low rate). If it had not been legit, my agency would have provided a warning once and then more severe action if it happened again (ethics and stuff).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post # 21)
Originally Posted by clarkef (Post # 24)
If that were true hotels would simply not offer the government rate(s) on nights when they only want "high paying guests". Discounted rates have always served the purpose of selling those rooms which cannot be sold at the higher rates. If, due to labor shortages, a hotel cannot handle 100% occupancy, then they hotel can always reduce capacity to a manageable level and eliminate the lower rates. There is simply no business reason to offer a rate that you don't really want to offer.
Actually, there is a very strong business reason to offer the government rate at all times -- a contract.

The General Services Administration (GSA) administers the FedRooms program for federal employees. With the feds, if you want their business, it's all or nothing.

https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book...dging/fedrooms

So if a hotel is over- (or even fully-) booked, the hotel has a strong incentive to strictly adhere to employee identification and travel authorization requirements on those days.
lamphs likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Actually, there is a very strong business reason to offer the government rate at all times -- a contract.

The General Services Administration (GSA) administers the FedRooms program for federal employees. With the feds, if you want their business, it's all or nothing.

https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book...dging/fedrooms

So if a hotel is over- (or even fully-) booked, the hotel has a strong incentive to strictly adhere to employee identification and travel authorization requirements on those days.
The interesting part about FedRooms that its rate rules actually do not require official travel and the rates can be significantly lower than the per-diem rates (depending on the location of course).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Read the rules of what is required. Most of the times TA are just one way of showing eligibility (although always wise to bring a printed copy along). It is almost never requested, but good to have at hand.

There are other rates that available only for federal government employees that are either designed for leisure travel, or do not require official travel (and can be cheaper than the per diem rate as well).
where on marriot is there more than one gov rate? Usually it’s display state, fed, or military, but not too often, it’s only one gov rate. Been staying on gov rate for 20 yrs, never once ask for orders, less than 3 stays have ask for gov id, Hilton has multiple gov rates and specify order or leisure

Last edited by yuel; May 7, 2022 at 10:05 am
Old May 7, 2022, 12:01 pm

where on marriot is there more than one gov rate? Usually it’s display state, fed, or military, but not too often, it’s only one gov rate. Been staying on gov rate for 20 yrs, never once ask for orders, less than 3 stays have ask for gov id, Hilton has multiple gov rates and specify order or leisure
That would depends on the market of course but if you chose Government rate on the site it would pull all available Government rates - which may include Federal, State, and Leisure rates. For the FedRooms rate you'll need to search specifically using the rate code.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by stuartpig
I have been using the government rate with Marriott for 10 years, never been asked for id (apart from Glasgow Marriott where the staff are trained by the Stasi). Since the merger with Starwood the wording changed. Now shows as Federal government rate. Used to say British government rate. I assumed it is good old Marriott IT not being able to cope with different wording for different countries, but I don’t want to get tripped up on one stay where the saving is huge. Anyone else used the government rate recently??
Bumping this question for non US hotels, eg Australia

Last edited by FormalHall; Jan 9, 2024 at 1:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.