Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

A month on the road with Marriott Bonvoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A month on the road with Marriott Bonvoy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:10 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How did they justify offering you paid upgrades when you are entitled to them by status?
OP also didn't specify if these upgrades were offered in person at check in, or via the website/app before checkin
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't a manager take the big chart and duplicate the part that applies to his/her hotel in order to distribute the relevant information to his/her own front desk staff? It's not rocket science when you have the cheat sheet in front of you.
hockeyinsider is not kidding. The chart sent to properties is the size of a small child. I'll be at a property in the next few days that has one (I've seen it), so will post a pic if they allow me. The (fiill in the blank) property would have to just put into a word doc pertinent info for FRD to make it smaller.

But put me on the other side - I think it SHOULD list all brands/regions. It's too easy for an elite to say well I got this at a different property (not necessarily the same brand) so you should do the same thing too. A clueless FDC might then cave on something they're not supposed to because they didn't know any better. Note, I'm not saying they would know any better anyway, but if it was just their property/brand listed they wouldn't know what applied to other properties.

Heck, I was standing next to a Plat who checked in yesterday on a Priceline stay & said to the FDC, "oh, I need to put in my Plat #". The FDC (rightfully) said "PL stays don't accumulate points/night credit". He said "well other properties have put in my number on PL stays" & leaned heavily on the FDC. I gave the FDC credit for standing firm, saying "Marriott's policy is 3rd party bookings don't accumulate night/points credit, I appreciate you have gotten it at other properties but you've been lucky & at our property, we follow Marriott policy".

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 2, 2019 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Heck, I was standing next to a Plat who checked in yesterday on a Priceline stay & said to the FDC, "oh, I need to put in my Plat #". The FDC (rightfully) said "PL stays don't accumulate points/night credit". He said "well other properties have put in my number on PL stays" & leaned heavily on the FDC. I gave the FDC credit for standing firm, saying "Marriott's policy is 3rd party bookings don't accumulate night/points credit, I appreciate you have gotten it at other properties but you've been lucky & at our property, we follow Marriott policy".
Aren't there other reasons to have your number on the reservation though, such as lounge access, guaranteed late checkout, etc.? I don't use third party sites, but I thought you were still entitled some of the benefits, just not the points and nights credit.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by JBord
Aren't there other reasons to have your number on the reservation though, such as lounge access, guaranteed late checkout, etc.? I don't use third party sites, but I thought you were still entitled some of the benefits, just not the points and nights credit.
I think it was only the case in the old program, but is no longer the benefit of Bonvoy.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:43 pm

AFAIK SPG never extended "elite recognition benefits' (ERB) on 3rd party bookings. MAR's old program provided for ERB on 3rd party bookings, but not nights/points credit. Post 8/18, ERB went away for all properties on 3rd party bookings.

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
AFAIK SPG never extended "elite recognition benefits' (ERB) on 3rd party bookings. MAR's old program provided for ERB on 3rd party bookings, but not nights/points credit. Post 8/18, ERB went away for all properties on 3rd party bookings.
Does this include Virtuoso and American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Does this include Virtuoso and American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts?
Do those who book Virtuoso & American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts normally book them through Priceline or Expedia?

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dimon84
I think it was only the case in the old program, but is no longer the benefit of Bonvoy.

Cheers.
I did NOT realize they ended it! Good to know.
I mistakenly used Expedia to book a Hilton one time years ago and learned the hard way. Haven't used it for any with loyalty programs since then, but it seems a little heavy-handed to not recognize a hard-earned status at all just for booking through a 3rd party. What's the revenue loss - $20/night? I can get on board with no nights/points though.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Do those who book Virtuoso & American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts normally book them through Priceline or Expedia?

Cheers.
As I do not travel for business and my knowledge of the lingo is not as good as many here, to me 3rd party booking site would be any website or service which is not owned by the hotel company directly, Expedia, American Express, Concur, to name a few.

I know the wife is allowed to book herself if she likes, but she prefers to use her employer's travel agent as it is one less thing for her to worry about, however if she were not receive points nor other benefits that might change her mind.

With all that said at least to date she received points and Elite benefits on all travel agent booked reservations.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I mistakenly used Expedia to book a Hilton one time years ago and learned the hard way. Haven't used it for any with loyalty programs since then, but it seems a little heavy-handed to not recognize a hard-earned status at all just for booking through a 3rd party. What's the revenue loss - $20/night? I can get on board with no nights/points though.
I've ended up getting ERB with 3rd party bookings at Hiltons a fair few times (e.g. Expedia via Amex Travel UK), though it's obviously not something I'd ever rely on. Sometimes an Amex offer is enough to outweigh the loss of bennies. It was always sweet to get the Marriott offers where you didn't even have to worry about losing the ERB.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:18 am

Revenue loss can vary. If rack rate is high & someone gets the room dirt cheap through PL/Expedia & then you toss in bennies like exec lounge access where they're eating/drinking or free wifi, it can cost the property more than $20. While I've never booked PL/E, I put this in the it was good while it lasted & MAR didn't have to extend ERB given the other hotel chains weren't, but all good things come to an end category.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Revenue loss can vary. If rack rate is high & someone gets the room dirt cheap through PL/Expedia & then you toss in bennies like exec lounge access where they're eating/drinking or free wifi, it can cost the property more than $20. While I've never booked PL/E, I put this in the it was good while it lasted & MAR didn't have to extend ERB given the other hotel chains weren't, but all good things come to an end category.

Cheers.
Revenue loss can be very high IF Luxury Collection properties can be booked through PL or Expedia. Free breakfast for Plat and above at Gritti Palace in Venice is 53 euros per person. That's 106 euros per night for 2 people.

I appreciate MAR not extending ERB to third party bookings.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Excellent info!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by kmersh
As I do not travel for business and my knowledge of the lingo is not as good as many here, to me 3rd party booking site would be any website or service which is not owned by the hotel company directly, Expedia, American Express, Concur, to name a few.

I know the wife is allowed to book herself if she likes, but she prefers to use her employer's travel agent as it is one less thing for her to worry about, however if she were not receive points nor other benefits that might change her mind.

With all that said at least to date she received points and Elite benefits on all travel agent booked reservations.
Corporate travel agents typically (though not always) book rooms directly from hotel chains, that's why she received the benefits. Online travel agencies are the different story as they charge properties up to 30% for reservations, hence revenue loss.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by dimon84
Corporate travel agents typically (though not always) book rooms directly from hotel chains, that's why she received the benefits. Online travel agencies are the different story as they charge properties up to 30% for reservations, hence revenue loss.
And that doesn't even include the cheap rate the (elite) paid. As we were walking to the elevator about the same time I asked him about his PL booking out of curiosity. He paid substantially under rack rate. Granted, it was stupid of the property to allow it, but given they did I do get no night/stay credit & even no ERB. Again, I put this in the MAR allowed ERG bennies long after the other hotel chains didn't allow them, but all good things come to an end category.

FWIW - I don't have a lot of empathy/sympathy for those booking dirt cheap rates but still wanting the same bennies as those who are paying a lot higher. As someone else said in a dif thread, if you could book a room, check in via mobile app & not need to be there, there would be a lot of people booking dirt cheap rates to get to their Plat/Titanium status. Same for PL/E. If you knew you could get it dirt cheap & get the bennies the folk paying more got, why would you book higher rate?

Getting back on topic. Thanks to the OP for his month on the road. Although I'm curious as to which properties he visited & which were great/not great, etc.

Cheers.
dimon84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.