Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Special requests: are they usually honored? charged?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

I usually don't special request much, but as I'm switching a couple of things up this year I'm thinking about starting to try to rely on hotels to provide a couple things.

Specifically, I'm thinking of asking hotels for double edge safety razor blades (because I can't carry them on while traveling) and shampoo w/ zinc pyrithione (i.e. anti-dandruff shampoo).

Does anyone have experience requesting such things from each hotels they visit, and is it usually done properly and reliably? Do these items ever get billed to you?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:40 pm

You can get both at pretty much any Walgreens/CVS/corner pharmacy.

I would expect that if a hotel would agree to run out and get these for you that they would charge not only for the items but also tack on a significant delivery fee.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:41 pm

As for "properly and reliably" I would assume this will vary pretty wildly from property to property
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most hotels will provide a plastic disposable razor from housekeeping free of charge, although brands like aloft and TPS seem to charge for forgotten toiletry items, as does HP. In some countries and some brands, the razor might already be in the bathroom of all rooms and/or suites, while other countries are trying to avoid the environmental waste of having such packaged items available for all.

If some hotel staff member needs to go to a store and purchase something for you, IMO you should expect to be charged for the item and possibly also charged for staff time if it can't be purchased within the hotel in a gift shop or something similar. Of course, in most places you should also tip when stuff like this is delivered to your room.

IMO if you need special shampoo, you should bring your own as small amounts of liquids are allowed in carry on bags. Most countries also allow the double edge disposable razors, although loose blades would probably be more of a problem for airport security.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I have never been charged a delivery fees but always tip. The staff is already getting paid and a Porter or concierge would do this as it is a part of their job.

A Westin recently ran out of paraben free products so they went out and bought stuff that was paraben free.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way to provide a general answer.

The bottom line is that if you expect a property to run errands, you should expect to pay for both the special product and the service aspect too.

I take special requests to mean things such as room location, type of pillow, extra towels and the like. Additionally, things such as asking that nut products and the like be removed from the room.

As others note, razor blades in the US can be obtained at pretty much every chain drug store, convenience store, supermarket and many news vendors. Unless you are at a resort in the desert, it is not going to be hard to find what you want.

One idea is to purchase from Amazon and have them sent to the hotel. While some hotels will levy an inside delivery fee, you can be assured that you have the product you want and can track that it was delivered.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:26 pm

I think it would be easier, and cheaper, to order it from Amazon for delivery to the hotel on the day you arrive. Problem solved!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jaunts
I think it would be easier, and cheaper, to order it from Amazon for delivery to the hotel on the day you arrive. Problem solved!
And choose a property that doesn't charge storage per package.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.