FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963316-marriott-zurich-switzerland-master-thread.html)

Condition One Mar 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Marriott Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Apologies if a thread already exists, but I couldn't find one for the Marriott Zurich.

This is a good hotel located within a pleasant 8 minute walk from the central train station. It’s a short walk to a tram station that will get you to Old Town (or back to the HBf) in a few stops. Was upgraded from a base room to a corner junior suite overlooking the river. Toilet is located separately from the shower stall. Rooms at this hotel start from the 24th floor, which is interesting as that floor is actually the 5th.

The Club Lounge is actually located on the ground floor, and is open 7 days a week. In the mornings, a spread is put out with a good selection of cold and hot foods. In the evenings, there are three selections of hot snacks, along with a variety of cold snacks. Soda is available from the fridge all day, along with donuts and cake.

WiFi is 20Mbps. The gym is spacious with several cardio machines. Would return here again if I come back to Zurich.

SkiAdcock Mar 31, 2019 11:25 am

There isn't a dedicated thread (according to quick search), just mentions in the Zurich family thread. So perhaps this thread should have Master Thread added to the title, so individual trip reports on the property can go in this thread.

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Hotel website. Cat 6.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...arriott-hotel/

Cheers.

kpfleming Mar 31, 2019 2:24 pm

I've stayed here as well and agree with the OP's report. Also the eCHo restaurant is pretty good, and prices are reasonable (for Zurich, that is). Corner rooms on the upper floors are very quiet and can have nice views.

cmatthews11 Apr 5, 2019 11:55 am

Booking a 2 night stay here, would anyone recommend the North Wing or Main Building for greater odds of a better view?

weld3z Apr 5, 2019 12:10 pm

Stayed twice in this property one of the nicest, the service is awesome.
booked a 3 night stay with the family next August can't wait.

ntamayo Apr 5, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmatthews11 (Post 30968791)
Booking a 2 night stay here, would anyone recommend the North Wing or Main Building for greater odds of a better view?

Definitely request the Main tower, higher floor, facing the river.

cmatthews11 Apr 5, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo (Post 30969062)
Definitely request the Main tower, higher floor, facing the river.

Thank you!

dc2005b Jul 8, 2019 1:23 pm

I used points for a 2 night stay here in May. Despite SNA attempt no upgrade was available and the property was sold old during first night of my stay. My room, a Superior room in Main Building occupied a corner and had lots of windows with nice views from over city and I was allowed to check in a little early which was appreciated.

The location is a nice walk along the river from the main train station and that was the main selling point for me. The M club on lobby level, while crowded had a nice spread in the evening including self pour wine and beer tap, rotating hot items and a nice cheese display. Breakfast was fairly decent as well.

The hotel did participate in Make a Green Choice however this is the first time I've been directed to personally bring the card to the front desk (before 11pm) instead of hanging on the door. While slightly annoying, the points actually had posted before I woke up the next day so better than having to email in for missing points which is often the case.

Overall, this is a fine hotel and good value of points given sky high rates during my stay, location was good and I’d be happy to return again should I be in Zurich..

Kilian Zoll Nov 4, 2019 5:53 pm

I have an upcoming booking at this property for 3 adults (specified in the reservation upon booking), but when I emailed the hotel regarding a separate request today - the day before check-in - the hotel informed me that there will be an additional CHF 55 charge per night for the rollaway bed. From memory any fees involved for a 3rd person in the room are typically shown at the time of booking, but apparently not in this case. Is there any point fighting this, or should I bite the bullet and just pay the CHF 55 per night?

I'm not disputing the fact that they charge CHF 55 for rollaways, it just doesn't seem right that there is a surprise charge upon check-in if I've already specified that it is a 3 person booking from the beginning?

Kacee Nov 4, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 31701630)
I have an upcoming booking at this property for 3 adults (specified in the reservation upon booking), but when I emailed the hotel regarding a separate request today - the day before check-in - the hotel informed me that there will be an additional CHF 55 charge per night for the rollaway bed. From memory any fees involved for a 3rd person in the room are typically shown at the time of booking, but apparently not in this case. Is there any point fighting this, or should I bite the bullet and just pay the CHF 55 per night?

I'm not disputing the fact that they charge CHF 55 for rollaways, it just doesn't seem right that there is a surprise charge upon check-in if I've already specified that it is a 3 person booking from the beginning?

What does your confirm say? If it shows 3 guests, but no fee, I might make an effort to challenge the fee, but wouldn't have high hopes of success. This being Switzerland and all.

btw, I just tried a dummy booking for 3, and the website showed an "Extra Person Fee" of 65 CHF per night on the booking page.

Kilian Zoll Nov 4, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31701886)
What does your confirm say? If it shows 3 guests, but no fee, I might make an effort to challenge the fee, but wouldn't have high hopes of success. This being Switzerland and all.

btw, I just tried a dummy booking for 3, and the website showed an "Extra Person Fee" of 65 CHF per night on the booking page.

The booking confirmation email says 3 adults and doesn't have an "Extra Person Fee" included. However when I log in to manage my booking, I just noticed that they have added on the Extra Person Fee retro-actively without notifying me. Is this even something they can do?

I'm not sure if they've added it just now after my email conversation, or if it was done 'secretly' prior to that. Either way it's not great business practices imo...

EDIT: In addition to the above, I just noticed that the "Extra Person Fee" is not the same as the fee I was quoted for the rollaway in the email conversation. The plot thickens...!

Kacee Nov 5, 2019 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 31702285)
EDIT: In addition to the above, I just noticed that the "Extra Person Fee" is not the same as the fee I was quoted for the rollaway in the email conversation. The plot thickens...!

I was wondering about that. You could have three people in the room without a rollaway. Do they charge two fees if you have three people and a rollaway?

TerryK Nov 5, 2019 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 31702285)
........EDIT: In addition to the above, I just noticed that the "Extra Person Fee" is not the same as the fee I was quoted for the rollaway in the email conversation. The plot thickens...!

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31702701)
I was wondering about that. You could have three people in the room without a rollaway. Do they charge two fees if you have three people and a rollaway?

It is possible that they are two separate fees. You need to contact property to confirm. I have seen third person stays free, using existing bedding, but extra charge for rollaway.

cager Nov 5, 2019 10:11 am

I had a great time staying at the Marriott Zurich - had a river view junior suite.
Make sure you pick up a free bottle of Evian near the lobby

Spineynorman Dec 9, 2019 2:23 am

Booked here in a couple of weeks using points. Will I still get my gold elite benefits if using points? I’ve a 5pm flight so a 2pm checkout would be really useful.