Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lisbon Marriott, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold

Has anyone stayed at the Lisbon Marriott?
How was your experience?
I hear the location is not good, how is the transportation options? Is getting into the city center a hazzle?
Raven_FL likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by gordon0808
How was your experience?
I hear the location is not good, how is the transportation options? Is getting into the city center a hazzle?
The hotel is just your standard Marriott, nothing special. It is about a 20 minute walk to the nearest metro station, which then is a straight shot into the city center. Definitely not a convenient location for tourists, but if you can handle the walk to the metro (which is what I did every day), it is doable.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
How was your experience?
The hotel was OK the lounge was also "ok". location is good for the airport, but to get into the city a taxi is the best option.

John
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:23 pm

I stayed there last summer and the hotel was OK.

It did have a nice pool and the lounge was nice with a large balcony not much of a selection of food.

The location is not very good, unless you want to visit the zoo which is a 5 minute walk.

The service was very poor, right from the telephone operator to the front office staff.

I would not return.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Thank you for the advices.
I find it very annoying that so many Marriott hotels in Europe are located in remote areas.
There are many hotels with a much more central location which are also cheaper, so I don't see any reasons to book with Marriott... apart from a few MR points that I don't really need.
I chose the Lisbon Sofitel, which is no.2 on TA's popularity index (Marriott is #23) and I also got a cheaper rate with beakfast included.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:25 am

Thank you for the advices.
I find it very annoying that so many Marriott hotels in Europe are located in remote areas.
There are many hotels with a much more central location which are also cheaper, so I don't see any reasons to book with Marriott... apart from a few MR points that I don't really need.
I chose the Lisbon Sofitel, which is no.2 on TA's popularity index (Marriott is #23) and I also got a cheaper rate with beakfast included.
You might want to check out The Sheraton in Lisbon. They recently completed a renovation of all rooms.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:56 am

It all just depends on where you're going. For every bad location [for tourists, remember many are located for business travellers] (LIS, ATH, FRA, MUC, etc.) there is another city with a great, centrally located Marriott property (LON, AMS, CDG, HAM, VIE, etc.).
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:24 am

Stayed at the Lisbon Marriott a few years ago and found it to be a standard Marriott property. I used the Metro for my trips into the city center and did not have a problem - the walk from the hotel to the station was around 10 minutes.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at this Marriott several times. I did a search on this property to check out feedback on the Lounge, since this will be my first trip as Gold.

The service by the front desk staff is okay, not great not bad. Room service is very good. Restaurant has plenty of space. Use of the pool can be a little awkward, as it's right next to a freeway, separated only by some trees.

The assessment of the location by others is kinda/sorta accurate. The location is NOT ideal, but it's not in a bad area. A taxi ride into the middle of town is about seven or eight Euros, including tip. Taking a taxi anywhere in Lisbon is cheap, but the prices are about 20% higher late nights and weekends.

Location to airport is very good, a 15-minute ride max, usually costs 10 Euros (including the 1.60 per bag surcharge).

As mentioned earlier, Sheraton is in a better location (it's actually the tallest building in Lisbon), but I haven't been there since the remodel. The Sheraton is one block from a Metro stop and there's much more within walking distance of the Sheraton.

Side note -- anyone else been to the Lounge at Lisbon Marriott? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
anyone else been to the Lounge at Lisbon Marriott? Any thoughts?
The lounge is nice. It has a outdoor patio which is great for breakfast and in the evenings. Large screen TV with plenty of seating.

The food selection is is really good and breakfast was your typical cold cuts, cereal, fruit and yoghurt. The bread is fresh and warm and so are the pastries

In the evenings, there is complimentary wine, beer and port with small sandwiches, chips and tapas. The custard desserts are addictive.

The attendant was very friendly and spoke good English, he was transfered from London.

8/10 ^

On another note, the fitness centre.. ummmm I mean closet is a JOKE! No AC and the machines are either ancient or broken

Lots of roaming street cats in the pool area trying are a bit of a pain.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by imverge
The lounge is nice. It has a outdoor patio which is great for breakfast and in the evenings. Large screen TV with plenty of seating.

The food selection is is really good and breakfast was your typical cold cuts, cereal, fruit and yoghurt. The bread is fresh and warm and so are the pastries

In the evenings, there is complimentary wine, beer and port with small sandwiches, chips and tapas. The custard desserts are addictive.

The attendant was very friendly and spoke good English, he was transfered from London.

8/10 ^

On another note, the fitness centre.. ummmm I mean closet is a JOKE! No AC and the machines are either ancient or broken

Lots of roaming street cats in the pool area trying are a bit of a pain.
I agree wholeheartedly. During my 6 week stay I got to be very friendly with Rui (breakfast Concierge) and Luis (Evening Concierge) as well as Mr Anil Sampat who is the GM. Anything I requested within reason was granted and I would not hesitate to go back again.

--DD73
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I was there this past Christmas.. Nice hotel, decent rooms, lounge is better than average.. Staff are very very friendly, concierge service is excellent.. Taxis are cheap in Lisbon, so getting around is quite simple.. I prefer this location to being right downtown.. Halfway between airport and downtown is ideal for me. Easy in, easy out..
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Was there last summer, paid for an executive room (the rate was cheap). Haven't been to many lounges so can't compare.

Having complimentary wine is nice of course, although it isn't quite high quality, saw the exactly same bottles for $1-3 in a department store later.

Hot appetizer was nice on the first evening but not so great on the second (meat was so hard it was almost impossible to cut it).

Staff are courteous indeed (except for a the Russian lady who almost pulled desserts out of my hand because it was 9:30PM or whenever they stop serving them).
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Can someone confirm Club Lounge opens weekends

Appreciate an update on this property in Lisbon. The latest update was a thread dated Mar 2008. The following thread (only read first few posts) says the CL is open on weekend.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...arriott+lisbon

Is there any recent update? Understand it is somewhat remotely located (no a problem for me) and the gym sucks.

What about the room, bathroom and air-con etc...(perhaps more details than just say they are ok)? Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
What about the room, bathroom and air-con etc...(perhaps more details than just say they are ok)? Thanks.
Size of the rooms are a touch smaller than what you would see at a North American Marriott, but a little larger than European standards. Chair at the table in the room is not terribly comfortable, it's a standard chair...not a business chair.

Internet access does have option to log into roaming partners.

Bathrooms have two unique properties: A narrow tub and shower area (they do not have the curved shower rods), and the sinks are a little lower than other properties. Floor usually partially floods after showers.

Air conditioning is very sensitive. You can go from "meat locker" to "hatching baby chicks" quickly and easily. Dial-controlled thermostat, three fan speed options.

Disagree about CL not having plentiful food -- I find it to be good. Complimentary wine in the evening, too. Open on weekends.

Anything else you want to know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.