Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No show: credit, points and strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I have a booking that I am not going to be able to use (due to a flight change situation). I will be getting into town but have to proceed onwards to keep my other plans intact, and don't need to check into the property. This is a cash booking.

Being too late (<24 hrs), I forfeit funds anyway upon cancellation. So, if I just don't show & they charge me, will I get stay credit and points, or is that dependent on actually stying?

If I won't get any credit, I may still be in a position to check in (even physically) as the property is on the way to where I am going eventually. Can I check in and out immediately and get credit thence? My point is that I'm paying them anyway (& they'll probably even resell it, I don't know) - so why shouldn't I get what I would have otherwise?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

It is possible that if you speak directly to the hotel, they will cancel with no penalty.

Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Being too late (<24 hrs), I forfeit funds anyway upon cancellation. So, if I just don't show & they charge me, will I get stay credit and points, or is that dependent on actually stying?
You have to actually stay.

If I won't get any credit, I may still be in a position to check in (even physically) as the property is on the way to where I am going eventually. Can I check in and out immediately and get credit thence? My point is that I'm paying them anyway (& they'll probably even resell it, I don't know) - so why shouldn't I get what I would have otherwise?
If the hotel will not allow you to cancel with no penalty, I would do this. Check in and leave. Don't bother to check out. Many of us don't. You will be auto checked out the following morning.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless you check-in, you won't get anything. It doesn't matter what you think you are entitled to - the rules are the rules.

If you can pass by the hotel, however briefly, and check-in... that is your best bet. Don't check out unless you want to screw everything up. It will happen automatically the next morning.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. I assume just checking in on the app won't cut it? I did speak with both Marriott and the property (separately) but no dice.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the answers. I assume just checking in on the app won't cut it?.
No it won’t. Otherwise everyone would be achieving Plat status by booking $40/night rooms in Malaysia and Indonesia.
RobOnLI, craigthemif and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It is possible that if you speak directly to the hotel, they will cancel with no penalty.

You have to actually stay.

If the hotel will not allow you to cancel with no penalty, I would do this. Check in and leave. Don't bother to check out. Many of us don't. You will be auto checked out the following morning.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unless you check-in, you won't get anything. It doesn't matter what you think you are entitled to - the rules are the rules.

If you can pass by the hotel, however briefly, and check-in... that is your best bet. Don't check out unless you want to screw everything up. It will happen automatically the next morning.
Agree.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl

No it won’t. Otherwise everyone would be achieving Plat status by booking $40/night rooms in Malaysia and Indonesia.
True. I didn't think of that.
margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I agree with everyone else who says to check in and NOT check out. It happens automatically the next day.

Do us all a favor and ask for the crappiest room upon check-in. Save the 'nicer' rooms for others who are checking in after you and will actually be staying the night.

You're gonna have to pay for the night either way and the only way to get credit for it is to check-in in person. So you might as well do it if it's not too far out of the way.

-RM
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
You might consider checking out using the app if you happen to think about it the next morning.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
P.S. Don't be too blatant and it may not always be possible, but ask for a copy of the bill when you check in.

Why? Because you might get Bonvoyed and Marriott's IT won't post your stay automatically. And in Bonvoy's infinitely awful wisdom, you can't request retro-credit without sending in a photo of your hotel bill. It can be a royal pain to request it from the hotel later.

It's one reason why I am loathe to fully mattress run Marriott hotels any more.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: None - previously UA
You might try calling property and asking for a cancellation, good possibility they will still grant it.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:32 am
Community Director Emerita

I did speak with both Marriott and the property (separately) but no dice.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You might try calling property and asking for a cancellation, good possibility they will still grant it.
The OP did so with no success.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Check in. Mess the duvet up a bit. Take the free amenities and leave. Never check out as not staying the night means no credit.

You will be auto checked out out the next morning
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Check in. Mess the duvet up a bit. Take the free amenities and leave. Never check out as not staying the night means no credit.

You will be auto checked out out the next morning
Absolutely not necessary! Why create unnecessary laundry? Be green and leave the room intact. All that matters is that you checked in. What you do with the room is your business. There is no requirement for the bed to be messed up.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Absolutely not necessary! Why create unnecessary laundry? Be green and leave the room intact. All that matters is that you checked in. What you do with the room is your business. There is no requirement for the bed to be messed up.
I would hope they would do the laundry after someone is checked out, whether the bed is messed up or not. Maybe the person staying is anal and makes the bed before they leave??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.