Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked from Hotel mid-stay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
But does he have a contract? He had one with the old owners, but does he have one with the new owners?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:14 am

*Snark alert - sorry, early Monday AM*

1) I love y’all saying that OP should call the police, invoke some contract or state statute, etc. You ever been to Hopewell, VA? We already know the answer to that if you’re recommending that an out-of-towner try to get local law enforcement on their side, lol. Hopewell cops would have probably thrown OP out on the street and then given him a speeding ticket for good measure.

2) Who the heck uses points for a business stay?! That’s the real outrage here!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
2) OP could be a sole proprietor or own the business.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
2) OP could be a sole proprietor or own the business.
Yes, all joking aside I would presume that to be the case. Specifically in a sector where they are not in a position to pass lodging costs directly through to clients, as would be logical in most industries.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by arlflyer
1) I love y’all saying that OP should call the police, invoke some contract or state statute, etc. You ever been to Hopewell, VA? We already know the answer to that if you’re recommending that an out-of-towner try to get local law enforcement on their side, lol. Hopewell cops would have probably thrown OP out on the street and then given him a speeding ticket for good measure.

And yes, I have been to Hopewell, VA. I wasn't one of the ones suggesting calling the cops .....
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by arlflyer

2) Who the heck uses points for a business stay?! That’s the real outrage here!
Ones that want to pocket the per diem cash for a business trip expense report and use their own points to pay for their stay instead.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Contractually OP did not have any agreement with IHG
But I think OP definitely did with Marriott
Marriott accepted the reservation and full payment knowing in advance that the hotel property brand and ownership was changing mid stay, they apparently also guaranteed the guest his stay was secure.
100 % Marriott problem , Marriott broke the client contract .
Marriott should have never accepted a reservation beyond its ownership.
Take them to the cleaners I say
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Originally, you said your stay was "recent." Now it was "several weeks" ago. ...
That’s not recent? My dad will often start a story with “Recently...” and proceed to talk about something that happened 20 years ago.

But seriously, why the automatic skepticism from so many on here? What would be anyone’s motivation for coming on Flyertalk with a completely made up story?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ewok22
Contractually OP did not have any agreement with IHG
But I think OP definitely did with Marriott
Marriott accepted the reservation and full payment knowing in advance that the hotel property brand and ownership was changing mid stay, they apparently also guaranteed the guest his stay was secure.
100 % Marriott problem , Marriott broke the client contract .
Marriott should have never accepted a reservation beyond its ownership.
Take them to the cleaners I say
marriott may not have known about the sale when the booking was made. By your metric, they should only allow day of bookings for one night. Similarly, if the bank that owns your mortgage gets bought, they can now triple your rates? No - the contract transfers unless renegotiated.

several properties reflag in and out every year. In every reported case where a Bonvoy property leaves, the guest has their reservations honored, albeit no elite benefits after the switchover.

Marriott messed up by not fixing the customer service aspect and fixing the problem quickly. The cause of the problem was the hotel.
C17PSGR and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by strickerj
But seriously, why the automatic skepticism from so many on here? What would be anyone’s motivation for coming on Flyertalk with a completely made up story?
Maybe because today is 1 April 2019?

--woodstock
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by strickerj

That’s not recent? My dad will often start a story with “Recently...” and proceed to talk about something that happened 20 years ago.

To me, 2 weeks ago is recent. I didn't understand the automatic snarkiness & doing a search for someone's prior posts either. I do appreciate the OP mentioning the situation & asking for input because it brought forth a number of options to consider if one of us is ever unlucky enough to be in a similar situation. It would never have occurred to me that a property would walk someone mid-stay, even w/ changing brands.

Cheers.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ride red
Wow.

I've had a hotel reflagged and they honoured a rewards booking even though it was a few months after the change.

Honestly in your case OP, it sounds like Marriott did what they could, and the issue was 100% caused by the hotel. Marriott already made up the points for you and found you new diggs, since they didn't cause the problem I don't think they owe you any more than that.
Yes, but that was not done without a lot of push back from OP. Marriot first told him no to finding him another hotel.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Other nomenclature fuzziness: The OP says he was "walked," but he wasn't. He was kicked out unless he paid double.

"Walking" a guest involves the idea that the hotel is oversold, and finds alternate accommodations for that guest at a nearby hotel at the originating hotel's expense. In the old days, the nearby hotel was within walking distance; hence the term "walking" a guest.

And yes, it's possible in rare cases for a guest to be walked mid-stay - it happened to me in Aruba of all places at a Marriott in 1999.

But the OP wasn't walked here. He was kicked out unless he paid double.

Had I been with the OP at that time, I would had advised the "new front desk staff" to go pound sand and then gone to my room. Innkeeper laws do indeed make it very hard/costly for a hotel to throw a guest out.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
Maybe because today is 1 April 2019?

--woodstock
Yeah but it’s always like this around here.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Not easy to find - but it appears in Virginia, a hotel can evict you immediately unless you stay 90 days or more.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...l+CHAP0279+pdf

B. No guest who is an occupant in a hotel, motel, extended stay facility, vacation residential facility, boardinghouse, or similar lodging shall be construed to be a tenant living in a dwelling unit as defined in this section if such person does not reside in such lodging as his primary residence. Such guest shall be exempt from this chapter and the innkeeper or property owner, or agent thereof, shall have the right to use self-help eviction under Virginia law, without the necessity of the filing of an unlawful detainer action in a court of competent jurisdiction and the execution of a writ of possession issued pursuant thereto, which would otherwise be required under this chapter. For purposes of this chapter, a hotel, motel, extended stay facility, vacation residential facility, boardinghouse, or similar transient lodging shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter if overnight sleeping accommodations are furnished to a person for consideration if such person does not reside in such lodging as his primary residence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.