Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked from Hotel mid-stay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by fadippides
Hockeyinsider, I appreciate the skepticism, and being that this is the Internet, there really is no other way to prove it without posting the reservations which I am unwilling to do. I have named the hotel, but that still really doesn't prove anything. As noted, I tend to lurk and not post as I am sure do a large percentage of people. Most issues are handled without needing to post here, things such as lack of water, bugs in the room, etc. I really only post if I need additional insight into policy or if I my expectations are too high.
This is several weeks after the issue, so it wouldn't help now.
Originally, you said your stay was "recent." Now it was "several weeks" ago. A quick look at the TripAdvisor page for reviews of this now-closed property indicates that in early March there was a posting that this was converting to Holiday Inn. Moreover, it would seem that pretty much every review for two years has indicated this is a really, really bad hotel. Is this the same Fairfield property you complained about on Flyer Talk back in 2011?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm curious about exactly when a hotel receives payment for an award stay. If the hotel is paid when the guest checks in, then I would assume that you had a prepaid stay for the entire length of your reservation. OTOH, if the hotel only receives payment at the conclusion of your stay, IANAL but this could make a difference; it could also be the case that Starriott will not or does not pay for award stays for nights after a hotel leaves the program.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sorry about your situation. I think most of the reports here are that hotels that reflag have recognized award reservations even after reflagging but don't provide elite benefits. Among other things, its just good common sense. If they don't want to do it, however, I'm not sure there is anything Marriott can do. I'm surprised they would hire all new staff. Its amazing a GM could be so short sighted.

Any idea who the management company is that operates the property now? I suspect they might be willing to do something. Is there a tripadvisor for the new property?
I've always thought these sorts of things were negotiated between Marriott, the owner and management during negotiations when winding down a hotel's operation as a Marriott property. I could be wrong. Obviously, we don't know the circumstances at this given property that caused an apparent mid-stay conversion. Yet with that said, there is zero indication from either Google or TripAdvisor that a hotel is operating at this address right now.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 31, 2019 at 10:53 am Reason: typos
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sorry about your situation. I think most of the reports here are that hotels that reflag have recognized award reservations even after reflagging but don't provide elite benefits. Among other things, its just good common sense. If they don't want to do it, however, I'm not sure there is anything Marriott can do. I'm surprised they would hire all new staff. Its amazing a GM could be so short sighted.

Any idea who the management company is that operates the property now? I suspect they might be willing to do something. Is there a tripadvisor for the new property?
I'm not sure what the management company is as the hotel hasn't fully shown up on the internet (Google lists it as a closed Fairfield). I'm not sure at this point what they can do though. I am kind of disappointed in the Marriott response, at the very least, I would have expected something like "Sorry this happened, we are conducting root cause analysis to make sure this doesn't happen again, CSR should have found you a room, etc." Basically any response instead of just ignoring the issue.

On the bright side, both the Courtyard and Homewood Suites I have stayed at since then are much nicer hotels.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Originally, you said your stay was "recent." Now it was "several weeks" ago. A quick look at the TripAdvisor page for this now-closed review indicates that in early March there was a posting that this was converting to Holiday Inn. Moreover, it would seem that pretty much every review for two years has indicated this is a really, really bad hotel. Is this the same Fairfield property you complained about on Flyer Talk back in 2011?
The Fairfield Inn from 2011 was in WV (it was actually newly built if I recall correctly). That issue was more of a policy issue which ended up getting resolved.

I do consider 'recent' to be within the past several weeks. The reservation was March 3rd to March 15th (Made on Feb 26th). Google lists the hotel as closed but it is listed as the Hopewell Fort Lee Inn and it does show up on the Holiday Inn website when performing a search. It is operating as I have driven by it.
Seabilly and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Originally, you said your stay was "recent." Now it was "several weeks" ago.
You must have a different definition of ‘recent’ then most other human beings
SK and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I do consider 'recent' to be within the past several weeks. The reservation was March 3rd to March 15th (Made on Feb 26th). Google lists the hotel as closed but it is listed as the Hopewell Fort Lee Inn and it does show up on the Holiday Inn website when performing a search. It is operating as I have driven by it.
I would consider March 3rd-March 15th to be recent as well, compared to a few months ago or several years ago. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone being walked mid-stay, even when a property changed hands. Some good advice in the thread re: possible options, if someone is ever unfortunate to be in a similar situation.

Cheers.
CO-PLAT, wrp96, Seabilly and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm not sure what the management company is as the hotel hasn't fully shown up on the internet (Google lists it as a closed Fairfield). I'm not sure at this point what they can do though. I am kind of disappointed in the Marriott response, at the very least, I would have expected something like "Sorry this happened, we are conducting root cause analysis to make sure this doesn't happen again, CSR should have found you a room, etc." Basically any response instead of just ignoring the issue.

On the bright side, both the Courtyard and Homewood Suites I have stayed at since then are much nicer hotels.
I get your frustration. Part of it, however -- perhaps even the biggest part -- should be directed at the management company operating the property. It's routine for hotels to change flags -- but its not routine to kick out a guest mid-stay on an award. If its managed by one of the midsize or larger management companies, they normally operate properties under a variety of brands. I would consider writing the CEO of that company to complain about the way they handled it. You might get a comped night at one of their properties or at least alert them to this issue so that it doesn't happen to someone else.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the ownership change at the time of the reflagging? Also, do you know for sure that the place didn't close at all during the transition? I suspect that it didn't close as IIRC they offered the OP the option to stay and pay for the room with money, so it might just have been a grab for cash with them hoping that the OP would agree to pay a higher rate than Bonvoy was paying for an award stay rather than immediately moving out of the room with no advanced notice.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

The ownership did change when they reflagged and they did not close as they were still taking reservations and people were still staying/checking in the day of.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The ownership did change when they reflagged and they did not close as they were still taking reservations and people were still staying/checking in the day of.
Reflagging doesn't necessarily mean an ownership change.

There are a lot of first generation Fairfield Inns out there with contracts expiring. They can't renew the contract without upgrading to current standards so they reflag to a different brand with lower standards. It's particularly common in older Fairfield Inns. Sometimes the same owner opens a new Fairfield Inn down the street and keeps the older one as a lower end brand.

But stop at the hotel and ask for the name of the management company. Also keep in mind that GM's at properties like this have bonuses that may include tripadvisor scores. Leaving an accurate review on your experiences on the Fairfield Inn won't do anything but would if you leave it with the current name.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I can't imagine calling the police in a situation like this - personally, I have far better things to do with my time, especially for a Fairfield Inn. Besides - even if I prevail - why stay at a hotel with a clearly confrontational relationship and risk getting charged full RACK rates and other potential issues - maybe they withhold room cleaning, etc. Life is short.

I'd be annoyed - pack - go to the other hotel - write my poor review on TA - duke it out with Marriott and my credit card company.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pointless to call the police. Even if it is a violation of some local law or ordinance in Hopewell, VA, it is going to be a civil matter involving perhaps a penalty of some kind.

In a small town, I would also be wary of involving law enforcement in a situation where the local police department is more than likely to side with the local business owner and deal with this as a trespass issue.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by thebackcourse
Agents cannot just call and force you upon another property. It doesn't matter that it's a Marriott property. I've been privy to hotels of the same brand in the same city unable or unwilling to take another's guests for any number of reasons none of which were availability. You feel you're owed a room at the same price as you booked(and you are) however the owner of that Marriott property down the street, they're able to get 2 or 300 more for the same room, they don't owe you anything. You didn't book with them. They have no obligation to take you at that rate. .
Wrong (mostly). It's true that the "owner down the street" does not have to take you at the rate you booked with the original one, but CS agents have to, by Marriott (and every other hotel) policy, find you alternate accommodations at whatever rate (and not charge the guest). The operator of the hotel with the original booking will be charged (assuming it's their fault) all costs incurred by re-accommodation, compensation, etc.. (plus a chunky administrative fee).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:11 am

Not me

[QUOTE=Dr. HFH;30948440]I might have been inclined to stay. Let them call the police. You had checkin documents reflecting your entire stay and the terms of your stay, too. That they changed ownership is not your problem.

In most places the police are only allowed to address a criminal complaint from the hotel. Staying without an invitation often is trespassing which they can deal with. But a reservation is an invitation to be there turning the issue into a civil dispute which, in most cases, the police not only will not get involved with, they could actually be committing a crime themselves by intervening.

I understand that sometimes hotels overbook and I am not fundamentally opposed to being walked. But I damned sure will be compensated. And I will not be the easy one they walk. The manager is going to remember me.

I used to have a vacation rental and that got me familiar with "innskeeper laws." They vary dramatically. In some states the lodging laws are very guest friendly and a midstay boot could get the hotel and manager in serious trouble (possibly felonies). In other states, the manager can pretty much do whatever they please at any time. T&Cs of multinations cannot possibly capture all the idiosyncrasies which often vary by township.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by thebackcourse
Isn't it illegal in most states to force someone from a room they've paid for.
Yes, I agree, in most jurisdictions. But the T&C cannot circumvent local law on lodging so in some cases the T&Cs matter little. It's not unusual, for example, for forced removal to require 48 hours notice for example. I note the the OP mentioned being in Virginia which I believe has VERY innkeeper friendly laws. I do know that where my rental was, I could not get rid of a guest without cause, i. e. the police witness them actually committing a crime, not just trespassing. If they refused to leave and I tried to physically remove them I would be guilty of assault or kidnapping. If I asked the police to remove them, me and the cop I talked to would be committing conspiracy to kidnap in interference of a contract. So basically, laws vary.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by KonaGuy
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I might have been inclined to stay. Let them call the police. You had checkin documents reflecting your entire stay and the terms of your stay, too. That they changed ownership is not your problem.
In most places the police are only allowed to address a criminal complaint from the hotel. Staying without an invitation often is trespassing which they can deal with. But a reservation is an invitation to be there turning the issue into a civil dispute which, in most cases, the police not only will not get involved with, they could actually be committing a crime themselves by intervening.
Exactly my point. If the hotel tells you that you have to leave early, just don't. There is really nothing that they can do. Should they remove your possessions when you're out of the room, it seems to me that the police might be on YOUR side. The hotel forcibly removed you from a room for which you have a contract detailing your right to occupy. What's more, unless they photographed and logged each item that they removed from your room, they could be subject to a theft claim from you.
Twickenham likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.