Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Someone said you can *buy* Marriott Plat on Taobao, is it true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

Ok, it was a comment on a closed trend (separate topic), is this true and if yes shouldn't Marriott do something about it?

No wonder most of the time I've stayed at any Marriott properties the lounge is FULL and like a zoo.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Assume yes.

Marriott can't do a thing because they don't know the exact detail. And it is more difficult than it seems to investigate this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Marriott told me there were issues in China and they are trying to crackdown (with some success). I believe they said rogue check in staff and tour groups cause a lot of issues (ie giving status to one account rather than actual person checking in).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
How exactly would that work? People make up fake accounts, fraudulently award status, and sell it *and* change all the info on it to match?

And why is it *always* (old) gold/(new) plats that are the most DYKWIM/badly behaving and entitled everywhere you go?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by msp3
How exactly would that work? People make up fake accounts, fraudulently award status, and sell it *and* change all the info on it to match?
Supposedly you give them your account info and they'll fraudulently reserve and check in using your info from the beginning. Changing everything on the account would be very easy to spot.
msp3 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Would this not be equal to fraud ? Also will the hotels not require and ID during check in ? There is wrong at so many levels here.

Is it possible for the OP/anybody here to share how this scam is done ?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Anyone can buy Marriott status, book any hotel in the system for 50 nights, check in and pay.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by pauq
Supposedly you give them your account info and they'll fraudulently reserve and check in using your info from the beginning. Changing everything on the account would be very easy to spot.
I guess if they did change name of a "premade" account, that will need involvement of Marriott corporate (whichever office) handling the name change.

But then if one have to create own account then give the seller the information, I can only guess that the status come 50 days later? as no more multiple room credit applies post 18/8/18.

Again it will be quite easy to track multiple of people in china stays continuously for 50 days only at certain hotels
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I met a Chinese woman this past December who told me what they do is some people "know" someone in the hotel and they will book you a night at a hotel you don't really stay at and it is 100RMB a night, so they can buy plat for about 5000RMB.

I would think Marriott would be able to tell if that were happening though and put a stop to it as when they dish out points it looks at room in US dollars. 100RMB is way too cheap for someone to get 50 nights at that price.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
There’s a misunderstanding. You can buy an actual platinum member on Taobao, not status.
Newman, joejones, KRSW and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Handcake
I met a Chinese woman this past December who told me what they do is some people "know" someone in the hotel and they will book you a night at a hotel you don't really stay at and it is 100RMB a night, so they can buy plat for about 5000RMB.

I would think Marriott would be able to tell if that were happening though and put a stop to it as when they dish out points it looks at room in US dollars. 100RMB is way too cheap for someone to get 50 nights at that price.
If this true then I can only guess they credited someone (non member) stays to the bought account.
So the 100 RMB only cover the bill name change ... not the room itself.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Chewie
There’s a misunderstanding. You can buy an actual platinum member on Taobao, not status.
Some singles might be interested if thats true
ackpfft likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't they just mix your legitimate Marriott account details in with a tour group booking, even though somebody else from the actual travel group would actually be using the room? Nobody at a hotel checks passport details of every single member of a group. 50 nights later and you are Platinum...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:50 am

But did group tour rate is eligible ?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Not just Taobao, you can find it on eBay too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marriott-Bo...1/153103714026

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.