Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Someone said you can *buy* Marriott Plat on Taobao, is it true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Someone said you can *buy* Marriott Plat on Taobao, is it true?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Why would one want to buy Plat, or any status, for a hotel if they aren't actually going to stay at hotels enough to get value from it? Plat is NOT hard to achieve anymore, you can get 15 nights from a CC - if you travel enough to make the status worthwhile you probably can hit the 50 nights. That said, if you're stupid enough to send your name, address, passport, account number and whatever else they are asking for to someone in China so you can get late checkout, lounge access and a shot at an upgrade when you only occasionally stay at hotels....you absolutely without question deserve everything that is likely to come along with that dumb decision for which you will receive exactly -0- sympathy here or anywhere else where thinking people reside. If you feel that hotel status is something you need to compensate for other shortcomings, choose Hilton where you can pay $400-ish for a CC, get most of that refunded as credits for stays and get Diamond.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:06 am

This makes no sense. For $1500 one can actually book better rooms that one would otherwise and get all platinum benefits and more.
writetorich, Boraxo, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by baroqen
It works if the management is "in on it" and doing a regular check in/check out post rather than a no show.
But it's China. There are lots of people with entrepreneurial spirits who are willing to game the system to make a few extra bucks. Some of these methods are highly complex and can even involve a large number of people across different parts of the country.
Yeah...it would not shock me if there are a few hotels out there that manage to fake some inventory (or who might otherwise play games involving which rooms are occupied). A corrupt GM (or even potentially a few desk employees) could easily check people in and out and run the appropriate credit cards without much trouble.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Out of curiosity I checked what 50 nights would cost at one of the cheapest properties off the top of my head (the Aloft Zhengzhou Shangjie) for May 1st to June 20th and it came out to 10,899.77 CNY or 1,623.90 USD.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
Out of curiosity I checked what 50 nights would cost at one of the cheapest properties off the top of my head (the Aloft Zhengzhou Shangjie) for May 1st to June 20th and it came out to 10,899.77 CNY or 1,623.90 USD.
Aloft Zhengzhou Shangjie is already under heavy audit, empty room without actually staying will be reported by room service and check you out. Also with advance facial recognition, if a member let someone else to stay in the room instead, the account could face termination.

However, being so much cheaper than any other Marriott hotel in China, there are still quite a lot of people actual went there to pay for their status (or maybe partial status), especially when Marriott running promotions based on nights.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pauq
This makes no sense. For $1500 one can actually book better rooms that one would otherwise and get all platinum benefits and more.
However, you would probably end up with more points if you buy the status than if you buy the benefits outright. The additional points would partically offset the cost of buying status.

If someone were to "buy" the status, wouldn't their account show the stays and points earned? That would be an easy way for Starriott to catch them, just do a few of these offers to buy status and then check what had been done to the account. Starriott would know that the accounts holder had never stayed in these cheap properties in China, although it would be harder to identify which employees participated in the scam. Still, Bonvoy could take the attitude that the hotel had permitted fraud and penalize the property and its management, although Starriott brobably doesn't want to deflag these new properties in areas where they're so eager to expand.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I would guess the account history will show which properties participate in this "scheme"

Since the seller request copy of the passport, I can only assume it was to "prove" that the person supposedly check in personally.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ryan182
Why would one want to buy Plat, or any status, for a hotel if they aren't actually going to stay at hotels enough to get value from it? Plat is NOT hard to achieve anymore, you can get 15 nights from a CC - if you travel enough to make the status worthwhile you probably can hit the 50 nights. That said, if you're stupid enough to send your name, address, passport, account number and whatever else they are asking for to someone in China so you can get late checkout, lounge access and a shot at an upgrade when you only occasionally stay at hotels....you absolutely without question deserve everything that is likely to come along with that dumb decision for which you will receive exactly -0- sympathy here or anywhere else where thinking people reside. If you feel that hotel status is something you need to compensate for other shortcomings, choose Hilton where you can pay $400-ish for a CC, get most of that refunded as credits for stays and get Diamond.
You forget that these credit card benefits only exist in the US. The rest of the world don't get them.

That does not make your point wrong, why would someone pay for the status if they don't travel much? If you have three four stays at some of the nicer JWs or St Regis in Asia, it might be worth a fair bit. For me, not this much, but I guess we all have different priorities. It might just be cheaper to book rooms with lounge access and breakfast than paying for the status.

A former colleague of mine used to have her Platinum status (as it was back then) curtesy extended through friends at Marriott in China. Which is of course different than buying it from scratch up.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I have talked to a management I know in China, and he has asked me to keep his name and property name out, but he told me it's "common" for establishments, at down times, to have low fare rooms booked out in masses for 30-50 nights, and asking no questions. He told me he knew a few properties that would be under "Premium" category, that would post rates of 300-400 RMB per night, and rent them out for 30-50 nights. He said owners hate empty rooms sitting there, and are motivated to ask management to get them rented "whatever it takes". Even if audited, they would threaten to switch brand, and corporate usually back off; in the rare cases that corporate wouldn't back off, then they would simply switch brand, and knowing full-well Chinese government is on their side and the corporate can't do anything about it.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I have talked to a management I know in China, and he has asked me to keep his name and property name out, but he told me it's "common" for establishments, at down times, to have low fare rooms booked out in masses for 30-50 nights, and asking no questions. He told me he knew a few properties that would be under "Premium" category, that would post rates of 300-400 RMB per night, and rent them out for 30-50 nights. He said owners hate empty rooms sitting there, and are motivated to ask management to get them rented "whatever it takes". Even if audited, they would threaten to switch brand, and corporate usually back off; in the rare cases that corporate wouldn't back off, then they would simply switch brand, and knowing full-well Chinese government is on their side and the corporate can't do anything about it.
Make sense.
And while what they did was a breach on bonvoy t&c, technically they didnt break any laws. (not that I know of)
Someone want to "rent" those room cheaply for whatever reason (mattress run) ... and the hotel supply them.
And since the hotel know for sure the person wont be staying, they can easily resell the room when actual guest coming.

Similar to normal matress run done by members but in more "organised" way
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
i don’t get why selling the rooms for half the price knowing no one will stay there is a contract violation (unless contract explicitly states no selling rooms below certain threshold for certain brand levels). Marriott gets a cut either way and the properties are actually paying individually for the night credits and points. Unless the number of room nights sold for an individual night is a lot greater than the number of rooms at the hotel, then I can see it catching the eye of the Marriott auditors. I’m seen crew rates at these premium hotels go for as low as 350rmb when they cater to at least 30-50 crew members a night.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The problem is that the hotel then reports the fake stay as nights credits for someone who never showed up. That's fraudulent, but the hotel selling a room at a cheap nonrefundable rate and taking the money from someone who no shows would seen to be OK if the hotel isn't selling the same room multiple times (before the no show occurs) and if the contract doesn't specify a minimum room rate for the applicable category of guest (not crew, not friends and family, etc.).

Now if the hotel is aware that this is happening and continues to give special rates to the same entity, it could also be a conspiracy to commit fraud, but IANAL.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: MR rewards
There is an easy way for Marriott to block theese accounts
There is no way new account starting with 50 nights or 40 nights and 10nights meeting.
Marriott should check for new accounts with platinum for 1-2 month period and block them !!
or Marriott should sell platinum for less like IHG Ambassador (hate the idea) but it's a way to stop this game

by the way they pay more than what they got in my opinion its not worth more than $500
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by weld3z
There is an easy way for Marriott to block theese accounts
There is no way new account starting with 50 nights or 40 nights and 10nights meeting.
Marriott should check for new accounts with platinum for 1-2 month period and block them !!
or Marriott should sell platinum for less like IHG Ambassador (hate the idea) but it's a way to stop this game

by the way they pay more than what they got in my opinion its not worth more than $500
Actually, there are legitimate reasons to stay 40 or 50 nights at one property when opening a new account. Off the top of my head, insurance companies put people up in hotels when their home is damaged in a storm. Or if an employee is being relocated, companies could put them up in a hotel until they can buy a new home. Maybe the person is a consultant on assignment for a couple of months.

It happens.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Jaunts
Actually, there are legitimate reasons to stay 40 or 50 nights at one property when opening a new account. Off the top of my head, insurance companies put people up in hotels when their home is damaged in a storm. Or if an employee is being relocated, companies could put them up in a hotel until they can buy a new home. Maybe the person is a consultant on assignment for a couple of months.

It happens.
Yes, but in that case the person actually shows up at the hotel and stays there for the entire period of the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.