Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Someone started a petition against resort fees

Someone started a petition against resort fees

Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Part of the problem is that resorts aren't the only hotels charging resort fees, and people might not know to look for them at properties that aren't resorts.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Maybe Im missing something, but I dont see on the website where Marriott discloses what the resort fee covers. Starwood always made the list readily available on their website, but I cant find it anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It does not necessarily "cover" anything. That has always been a fallacy. The sole question is whether it is mandatory.

While it is petty and annoying, I am not sure I really care whether a room costs $400 + $50 fee or it costs $450. Except for the fact that in most jurisdictions, the $50 is not subject to tax, so upping the room rate by $50 costs me the additional tax.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see on the website where Marriott discloses what the resort fee covers. Starwood always made the list readily available on their website, but I can’t find it anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
At least for the Hawaii properties - when you click "View Rates", you'll see the resort fee at the top of page and what it includes. The Marriott Courtyard even prominently states, No Resort Fee - although staying on Kuhio Ave is not my cup of tea.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
A friend of mine just stayed at a "boutique" hotel in NYC and got charged with resort fee. Not even part of Marriott but just to show you this ridiculous fee is popping up everywhere. A hotel in NYC is considered as a resort
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsc111
Like I said earlier...it would be easier if they were disclosed in the original search but they are disclosed. I'd love to see these fee's go away I just don't see a case for govt intervention.

Your airline example is not comparative because the fees are disclosed. If the airlines charged a $50 bag fee whether you had a bag or not and the fee was disclosed... again, I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't think govt intervention was warranted.

The real power is in a consumer moving business toward or away from policies, companies, etc you like or dislike. Dummy proofing the planet will create more dummies...not less. Too many people already rely on others (government, consumer protection bureau's, Flyertalk, Yelp, etc...) to perform common sense checks of whether or not to use or buy a certain product or service. This lack of personal ownership is what opens the door to more sophisticated scams and frauds.
No, the resort fees aren't disclosed in the first display of prices. This is the entire purpose of these fraudulent fees. Their main reason for existence is to trick and deceive consumers, otherwise hotels would just say "we're raising rates to give you all of these new amenities."

If airlines charged a mandatory bag fee even for people with no bags, and did not show this in the total airfare upon first display, you can 100% guarantee the government would be involved. As they should be.

In fact, the banishment of this fraud should benefit honest, ethical hotel owners. Ultimately it's them who are hurt just as much as the guest who gets stuck with the bogus fees. Had the fraudulent hotel displayed its true costs up front, the honest hotel might have gotten the booking. Even in the extreme hypercapitalist pro-corporate America, you'd think we'd want to defend the honest business owner against the unethical one, right? (OK, maybe don't answer that rhetorical question lest we end up in P/R...)
tfong007, KRSW and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Not long before there is a class action suit !
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Jaunts
Does anyone know if the Trump hotels charge resort fees?
The Las Vegas one does
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
Not long before there is a class action suit !
....And then that sweet postcard granting you $2.75 off a future hotel stay, subject to restrictions and availability.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Repooc17
A friend of mine just stayed at a "boutique" hotel in NYC and got charged with resort fee. Not even part of Marriott but just to show you this ridiculous fee is popping up everywhere. A hotel in NYC is considered as a resort
AFAIK, NY hotels call them destination fees.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl

AFAIK, NY hotels call them destination fees.
Yeah, I have seen those, but this particular hotel actually has the line item "resort fee"
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Why are you guys against renting our own homes?
It is beyond me as to why people poke their noses in other people's business.
Go Airbnb !!
It's not people renting out their homes. It's spec buyers who nab a house then push it on Airbnb permanently -- and some even rent by the room so it's not even a matter of a single family renting the house for a week but rather 2, 3, or more individuals, each with their rental vehicle, etc. I'm a fan of VRBO rentals, Airbnb not so much.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
It's not people renting out their homes. It's spec buyers who nab a house then push it on Airbnb permanently -- and some even rent by the room so it's not even a matter of a single family renting the house for a week but rather 2, 3, or more individuals, each with their rental vehicle, etc. I'm a fan of VRBO rentals, Airbnb not so much.
Yeah, I have to admit I have very mixed feelings about Airbnb. They're a bit like Uber to me. I don't like the company or its practices, but the short-term house-rental concept that they've driven into the mainstream is very important and isn't going away. It's a lot like ridesharing: cities that are trying to ban it outright and drive it underground are just deferring the problem.

VRBO, Booking.com, and Homeaway have been around for a while but seemed to attract a more niche set of owners and clientele. I'm pretty sure some of the rentals I've done through those platforms were permanent short-term rentals too, but they never had the scale to change the whole culture of a neighborhood or apartment building, let alone impact an entire real estate market.

My first experience with Airbnb was when they wanted to store my driver's license on their servers and access my social media accounts. (I eventually gave them access to a dummy Facebook account I use as a dumping ground for corporate promotions.) My second experience was from an owner who wanted to see a current photograph before renting to me. (I am white, but refused out of principle - and didn't get the apartment.) I eventually put a photo on the dummy Facebook account and have since done 2 Airbnb rentals over the course of the years.

It's clear to me that Airbnb is a hotel company at this point, and needs to be treated like one. That doesn't mean every home-rental law has to be exactly as that for hotels, but it does mean that there need to be some regulations to protect guests. Cities have a right to zone, limit, and tax hotels, and they should do the same with Airbnb.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Gary at VFTW had a nice article about these fees broadly today
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Gary at VFTW had a nice article about these fees broadly today
Link?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.