Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Someone started a petition against resort fees

Someone started a petition against resort fees

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by pinniped
Las Vegas is about to ask you to hold its beer.

Resort fees already often exceed the base room rate there.
Exactly.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That's adorable.

It's going to take legislation to get anything done about this, and that ain't happening either, unless they aren't getting their full tax load on the resort fees that they do on the room charge
In Hawaii, the resort fee is NOT subject to the "Rooms Transient Tax". So, the State is not getting their full tax load. Still, resort fees are booming here. What'll it take for this crooked fee to go away? Fewer crooks, I think.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:52 pm

There are too many elites in the categories specified by the petition. Including all platinums, titaniums and ambassadors could represent half the people staying at the hotel at any given time. It's asking for too much.

It would be a long shot anyway, but the petition isn't asking for something that is realistic.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Resort fees are ludicrous. Ludicrous in that what they provide you isn't worth what you receive. Some of the benefits in Hawaii include discounts on a golf package. To get the discount, you must buy the package. And they charge me for that?! I don't even golf.
xexs likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaunts
There are too many elites in the categories specified by the petition. Including all platinums, titaniums and ambassadors could represent half the people staying at the hotel at any given time. It's asking for too much.

It would be a long shot anyway, but the petition isn't asking for something that is realistic.
I agree with the premise that these fees should not be legal for some guests and illegal for others. They should be illegal for anyone, period.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
In Hawaii, the resort fee is NOT subject to the "Rooms Transient Tax". So, the State is not getting their full tax load. Still, resort fees are booming here. What'll it take for this crooked fee to go away? Fewer crooks, I think.
Easy -- government bureaucrats. If enough gov't types realize the hotels are cheating THEM out of tax revenue, you better believe these fees will go away.

I'm fed up with the fees as well. Just looking at hotels for Friday and I found some nice deals. One of the hotels was $142/night, BUT had $55/day in fees. I don't [expletive] think so. I booked elsewhere...to a non-Marriott property which didn't charge said fees.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
A petition! That ALWAYS works! Said no one ever.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:45 pm

I agree it's unlikely anyone would legislate specifically on this issue.

However a broad based "drip pricing" regulation would deal with it.

In Australia, the competition and consumer regulator passed regulations covering what is referred to as "Drip Pricing". It essentially bans the practice of adding on all these unavoidable extras on top of the advertised price.

Importantly, it is not specific to any industry or type of transaction, so it covers various things like the sale of new cars (marketed price must include all non avoidable charges like dealer delivery, registration, stamp duty), concert tickets, airfares and yes, hotel rooms.

Consequently we don't have resort fees added to the advertised price of rooms.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
How about a petition to get rid of resort fees for everyone, not just some elites. Pretty much everyone agrees that they make no sense from a consumer point of view and are just a way of tricking customers into thinking the room cost is cheaper.
Jaunts likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
How about a petition to get rid of resort fees for everyone, not just some elites. Pretty much everyone agrees that they make no sense from a consumer point of view and are just a way of tricking customers into thinking the room cost is cheaper.
Does anyone know if the Trump hotels charge resort fees?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jaunts
Does anyone know if the Trump hotels charge resort fees?
I am sure, like the President himself, they would rise above such deceptive behaviour. *cough*
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:12 pm

Hey I would appreciate it if Marriott just picked up the resort fees on an award night because it's an earned award. But those days are gone.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That's adorable.

It's going to take legislation to get anything done about this, and that ain't happening either, unless they aren't getting their full tax load on the resort fees that they do on the room charge
Or just a real good lawsuit, especially from a consumer protection-oriented state attorney general. How many people have paid a resort or destination fee that included wireless internet access, which is supposed to be complimentary?

How does Marriott's website display pricing in countries that prohibit not including the resort fee in the price?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Offshore171
Consequently we don't have resort fees added to the advertised price of rooms.
Marriott's Australian website certainly hides the resort fees when searching for properties which have them.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by KRSW
Marriott's Australian website certainly hides the resort fees when searching for properties which have them.
Sounds like some Australians need to commence legal action if it's illegal in Australia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.