Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rebadc
The Ritz appears to be a nice property.
I would have the GM book you into a 2700 Sq Ft Villa, Cover your meals and activities and be done with it.

Do not cancel yourself
I disagree. It's clear this property is playing games. The original poster should not budge.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by pete.th
"Please note that for the below reservation numbers, no e-certificates have been issued, and the bookings are only provisional at this stage. They are not confirmed bookings as of yet"

<snip>

I've asked whether 1) compensation 2) move to RC Al Wadi with full board + activities and 3) wait and see in case some other guests at Al Maha cancel are possible.
Just out of interest, is there a fourth option to propose : "I will pay my points now, get the e-certificate and secure the booking" ?

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There is no overbooking.
Is this fact or opinion ? If there are only 42 rooms, and Marriott has allowed many of them, 9 months out, to be blocked with Points Advance bookings, some of which are speculative and will be cancelled at some point in the future, then doesn't the hotel have to overbook to compensate ?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I disagree. It's clear this property is playing games. The original poster should not budge.
I don’t agree. Having been there and having met mgmt, I firmly believe that this is a situation totally caused by Marriott’s craptacular IT. They were nothing but gracious when I was there. I was upgraded from a Bedouin Suite (700 sq ft) to a Royal Suite (1800 sq ft), and was even offered complimentary dune bashing ride (normally 270 AED/person) even though I was there for 5 nights on a mere 240K pts.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just out of interest, is there a fourth option to propose : "I will pay my points now, get the e-certificate and secure the booking" ?

Is this fact or opinion ? If there are only 42 rooms, and Marriott has allowed many of them, 9 months out, to be blocked with Points Advance bookings, some of which are speculative and will be cancelled at some point in the future, then doesn't the hotel have to overbook to compensate ?
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I don’t agree. Having been there and having met mgmt, I firmly believe that this is a situation totally caused by Marriott’s craptacular IT. They were nothing but gracious when I was there. I was upgraded from a Bedouin Suite (700 sq ft) to a Royal Suite (1800 sq ft), and was even offered complimentary dune bashing ride (normally 270 AED/person) even though I was there for 5 nights on a mere 240K pts.
The general manager wants the original poster to cancel and either book at a different property or re-book at the higher number of points per night. And I quote:

... since 5 March 2019, our property has moved up to category 8, meaning that members will now have to redeem 85,000 points per night in order to confirm any reservations at Al Maha Desert Resort.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

So as I mentioned in the original post I actually have already paid the points for one of the bookings, while the rest are still on points advance. So the GM missed that. In any case, I think I'll have the points by June to confirm at least one more.
Oxon Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I firmly believe that this is a situation totally caused by Marriott’s craptacular IT.
This may not even be just an IT issue. The combination of a low-capacity, high-desirability property with Points Advance may well have created a situation for which Marriott was not prepared.

Until and unless we know the actual booking numbers, then it's all speculation, but if Marriott has allowed its members to block out many of the 42 rooms over the New Year period with speculative Points Advance bookings (without imposing any capacity or quota control, or insisting that the points have to be paid upfront) then that is a real and genuine problem for the hotel.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The general manager wants the original poster to cancel and either book at a different property or re-book at the higher number of points per night. And I quote:
Being a legacy Starwood property, I suspect the GM is not familiar with how PA reservations work as opposed to “playing games”.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Being a legacy Starwood property, I suspect the GM is not familiar with how PA reservations work as opposed to “playing games”.
Maybe, but this same property was refusing to provide its all-inclusive meals to guests staying on points until Marriott forced them to comply. So, this is, at least, the second instance of egregious gamesmanship by the property. As they say, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

This may not even be just an IT issue. The combination of a low-capacity, high-desirability property with Points Advance may well have created a situation for which Marriott was not prepared.

Until and unless we know the actual booking numbers, then it's all speculation, but if Marriott has allowed its members to block out many of the 42 rooms over the New Year period with speculative Points Advance bookings (without imposing any capacity or quota control, or insisting that the points have to be paid upfront) then that is a real and genuine problem for the hotel.
It's the price of doing business with Marriott. No different than a guest who books a cash reservation months and months in advance only to later cancel.
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's a blast watching us on the sidelines quarterbacking this.
But if the OP's intent is to have a relaxing vacation over NYE then he should be open to working with Al Maha

Again,

I would ask the GM to handle all of the details and move to the RC property in the desert and have all meals and activities covered.
If there is a serious overbooking situation with NYE the GM should be able to and want to accomplish this.

Marriott knows there is an issue with a few of these legacy SPG properties and will address it at some point.

But again if it's me I'm taking a proactive approach and working my best deal ASAP so I'm not home watching the ball drop on TV
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by funkbandit
May I note that the St. Regis Aspen and the Al Maha are both former Starwood properties? I always thought that Starwood properties would never ever wrong a guest and that all bad customer service was exclusive to former Marriott properties. But I guess both properties in question would never acted this way would Starwood still run the show...
(Sorry for the rant)
So these 2 properties likely want out of the loyalty program altogether as they can thrive on paid nights.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rebadc
It's a blast watching us on the sidelines quarterbacking this.
But if the OP's intent is to have a relaxing vacation over NYE then he should be open to working with Al Maha

Again,

I would ask the GM to handle all of the details and move to the RC property in the desert and have all meals and activities covered.
If there is a serious overbooking situation with NYE the GM should be able to and want to accomplish this.

Marriott knows there is an issue with a few of these legacy SPG properties and will address it at some point.

But again if it's me I'm taking a proactive approach and working my best deal ASAP so I'm not home watching the ball drop on TV
No. This is about a property clearly playing games.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think we're already watching someone drop the ball ;-)

Anyhow...

Does the GM think the OP is stupid? Frankly, if I knew I was dealing with an American (or someone from certain European cultures) I would be inclined to respond with something to the effect of "How stupid do you think I am? First you ask to reaccommodate me and now you're asking me to reaccommodate myself. Your email just now is self-explanatory as to why I will not do that." I'm sure there's a more diplomatic way to phrase that, but the gist was the same.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Do not cancel yourself. You may be losing the opportunity to claim compensation. I would tell them, "No Thank You, I am keeping my reservations, cancel someone else." I would transfer some points in to cover the points advance if I could.
moondog and hockeyinsider like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by funkbandit
May I note that the St. Regis Aspen and the Al Maha are both former Starwood properties? I always thought that Starwood properties would never ever wrong a guest and that all bad customer service was exclusive to former Marriott properties. But I guess both properties in question would never acted this way would Starwood still run the show...
(Sorry for the rant)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think we're already watching someone drop the ball ;-)

Anyhow...

Does the GM think the OP is stupid? Frankly, if I knew I was dealing with an American (or someone from certain European cultures) I would be inclined to respond with something to the effect of "How stupid do you think I am? First you ask to reaccommodate me and now you're asking me to reaccommodate myself. Your email just now is self-explanatory as to why I will not do that." I'm sure there's a more diplomatic way to phrase that, but the gist was the same.
Of course, the GM can't do something at a property with a different ownership. All they can do is (1) change the dates, (2) offer a credit for a later date, or (3) help change to a different property under the same ownership

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.