Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hotturnip
This is the most exciting thread in quite a while.

Seems pretty clear to me that (as someone mentioned) there was rate management screwup and there were not supposed to be ANY award rooms over these dates. They're not actually sold out--they're just not wanting to give award nights.

Definitely respond with exactly what you want.

"As the Al Maha is the party who made the error, it is your responsibility to take care of the guest. It is not my responsibility to correct your error for you. Please book comparable reservation(s) at the Ritz-Carlton that you mentioned, ensuring that all expenses will be taken care of by the Al Maha, in order for it to be equivalent to the all-inclusive resort accommodations. Also, as per Marriott policy, please provide me with XXX points and XXX cash compensation [add link to policy]. I'll look forward to your written confirmation of this resolution of the problem."

I doubt you're going to get this. I actually doubt you're going to get anything from this hotel, except canceled reservations and disappointment. But you may subsequently be able to get something from Marriott, if their customer service will ever answer the phone and not hang up on you (which seems unlikely).
Unfortunately, it seems the original poster is kind of a pushover because, by now, this should have been resolved or escalated to corporate Marriott.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I happened to read a glowing blog piece about Ren at St. Pancras station London. In the comment section there is a poster had a similar cancellation and the compensation received, AFTER turning down the initial pathetic offer, then he rec'd 3 comped nights at a compatible property plus 90K bonus points.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...club/#comments

Below is the comment. (Note the post is a year ago)

Gail (the poster in the comment section)
The Chambers Suites and Chambers Club are awesome. I stayed there last year and booked another stay this past June. Unfortunately a couple days before my June stay I received an email stating a group had extended their stay so I would be moved to the Barlow Wing however I would retain Club access and 15,000 points compensation. I was livid as I had booked the room with points 8 months earlier. I told them I had no interest in the Barlow wing, I was entitled to Club access anyway because of my status and 15,000 points was nothing as I paid 180,000 points plus a fee for the Chambers suite. Bottom line I escalated my case to the Hotel manager and was given a suite in The Grosenvor at no charge for 3 nights plus 90,000 bonus points. I was pleased with the way the manager handled my complaint and I look forward to a stay in the Chambers Suites again next year with the promise of a upgrade.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps if you had read the thread you'd have the answer to your question & how OP is dealing w/ all this Aka, if you - (actually a generic you) are going to take the time to post to a thread, then geesh, read the thread.

Cheers.
Woah Woah Woah my friend. What a helpful post and by this hit and run attack I shudder to think how many of your 65k posts are of similar tone. I asked a question and you choose to be anything but helpful. I'm not a newbie that needs to be directed to any sticky threads for T&C's.

Here's to hoping your day improves.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by schley
Woah Woah Woah my friend. What a helpful post and by this hit and run attack I shudder to think how many of your 65k posts are of similar tone. I asked a question and you choose to be anything but helpful. I'm not a newbie that needs to be directed to any sticky threads for T&C's.

Here's to hoping your day improves.
It was a measured post from her. I considered posting something similar before she did. Its not a 1000 post thread. If youre interested in the thread, take 10-20 minutes to skim it and find the answer for yourself. No taskrabbits here...
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I disagree. There's never a reason, let alone an excuse, for being impolite. You can convey all four of these things firmly but politely.
Not saying doing it as step 1, but obviously the OP is getting jerk around. The time for staying polite is over. These people are used to bullying civil and polite people into submission, or drag it out so long hoping that you would give up and just cancel yourself and plan your get-a-way. In any case, while it should be the last option, it should be an option, and in this case it's time for this option.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I would not advise this kind of language. While probably not meeting any legal definition of blackmail, it is likely to be treated by a property manager as such. They will seize up, go running to legal, and you wont hear another word from them.
Good, make it legal, official, and public. That's the point. Bullying properties like this need to realized the "little people" are not as powerless as they think.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Good, make it legal, official, and public. That's the point. Bullying properties like this need to realized the "little people" are not as powerless as they think.
"Going legal" against the Dubai Royal Family in Dubai is about as counter-productive as it gets. When it comes to service recovery and/ or looking for a way forward to a problem, going legal is almost never the answer as you will be cut off from anyone working for the company involved who could actually offer you any of those. One would hope it would be pretty obvious as to why this is even more of a bad idea in the UAE.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

It was a measured post from her. I considered posting something similar before she did. Its not a 1000 post thread. If youre interested in the thread, take 10-20 minutes to skim it and find the answer for yourself. No taskrabbits here...
We can disagree, however I'll continue to be helpful and courteous to keep the spirit alive.^
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
While this is very annoying it does make you wonder is it genuinely overbooked by the system or a hotel trying to clear out cheap points reservations to be able to take cash reservations. If you have 3 nights booked maybe suggest you would be happy to have 1 night moved but still experience 2 nights at the property.

I dont know how much you travel to Dubai but you could also ask if they will move the dates or if you wish to be their for NYE ask about the following year and see what they say!
easy way to check is to try to book with $$
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I disagree. There's never a reason, let alone an excuse, for being impolite. You can convey all four of these things firmly but politely.
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Not saying doing it as step 1, but obviously the OP is getting jerk around. The time for staying polite is over. These people are used to bullying civil and polite people into submission, or drag it out so long hoping that you would give up and just cancel yourself and plan your get-a-way. In any case, while it should be the last option, it should be an option, and in this case it's time for this option.
I guess that we'll agree to disagree. The time for being polite is never over. If someone else is being rude, I'm not going to lower myself to his/her level. As I said, you can convey everything that needs to be said firmly, but politely.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree with all of those who have advocated politeness, regardless of how obnoxious the GMs emails have been.

Current thoughts:
1. Should the OP focus his energy on Marriott, the property, or both?
2. I've never been to Al Maha or the Ritz, but both look pretty nice
3. If the Ritz can offer free meals to the OP, it might not be a bad option
4. I agree with Gadot that a trial cash booking would be useful for research purposes
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There are no rooms available for cash during that window.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by moondog
1. Should the OP focus his energy on Marriott, the property, or both?
I would say both. The property has to fix it, but Marriott can apply some pressure; although we don't really know how much.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
There are no rooms available for cash during that window.
Wont be surprised as I checked before (planning to stay around end of Dec)

I guess its real they manage to overbook the property, and then the first attempt to remedy will be cancelling the point bookings.

Would be interesting to see how they try remedy this issue if the remaining stays are those pay in advance rates
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I would say both. The property has to fix it, but Marriott can apply some pressure; although we don't really know how much.
There shouldn't be that big a gulf between the two, as Marriott manages the property directly...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.