Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:42 pm

I wonder if regular points reservation with certificate attached are getting these notices as well or just points advance only. (And I get that both are confirmed reservations)
PremEx likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by myperks
I wonder if regular points reservation with certificate attached are getting these notices as well or just points advance only. (And I get that both are confirmed reservations)
Sounds like maybe a few Flyer Talk member should do dummy bookings.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The people who run the property are/ were Starwood through and through - I am pretty sure the conspiracy theories here are wrong. The games over all inclusive happened once the new Marriott programme basically destroyed the propertys business model (almost all rooms became available at the best value in the entire system) and seeing as the property is managed directly by Marriott i am sure their gambit was proposed by Marriott brass centrally.

In this case I suspect one of two things, which seem about equally likely:
- The new system wasnt correctly configured, leading to an overbooking
- The owners (I.e. the Dubai Royal Family) have need of some rooms over the Christmas period
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
All seems very fishy wonder how many more points bookings are being told they over booked.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
deleted

Last edited by nk15; Mar 25, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Would it be plausible to negotiate for a F&B credit at the substitute property? Transfer, plus a F&B credit to make up for the substitute property not being all-inclusive, plus something to make for a net profit?

Basically, I would be looking an aggressive position on this to turn some sort of a "profit" on the switch if you're willing to take it. Otherwise, I would say (in a very polite way) that you are declining and in essence that they had better be prepared to pay to walk you when you get there.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your reservation is cancelled in advance, walked compensation doesn't apply.

One could also ask whether it's wise to try to stay there during a period when the owners (royal family) want rooms for their own use. It could lead to situations with facilities being closed for private parties, excessive noise or other problems that staff refuse to try to correct, etc.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
In this case I suspect one of two things, which seem about equally likely:
- The new system wasnt correctly configured, leading to an overbooking
- The owners (I.e. the Dubai Royal Family) have need of some rooms over the Christmas period
Those make sense but it is quite possible someone booked direct with sales to have several rooms and they had not yet updated the system. I haven't checked but sounds like aren't selling rooms which makes this seem credible.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Would it be plausible to negotiate for a F&B credit at the substitute property? Transfer, plus a F&B credit to make up for the substitute property not being all-inclusive, plus something to make for a net profit?

Basically, I would be looking an aggressive position on this to turn some sort of a "profit" on the switch if you're willing to take it. Otherwise, I would say (in a very polite way) that you are declining and in essence that they had better be prepared to pay to walk you when you get there.
tbh, I think this is a bit unrealistic.

Unless it is owned/operated by the same people, they are going to have to pay the other property for a F&B credit and that seems to me very unlikely. They've given nine months advance notice of the issue in time for the OP to make other plans, as unfortunate as this situation is. And its not as if there is some Dubai consumer protection laws at issue here or if this is anywhere as egregious as the StR penalty.

IMHO, it seems like options are

1. Ask them to find another high end property in Dubai on the same dates but wait list OP in case there is a change
2. Seek to move to another property run by the same group (i think Emirate) and ask for a F&B or other credit there
3. Change dates for the Al Maha property but ask for a F&B credit (is that a think there???) on another date
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
4. Change dates and ask the hotel to pay any airline penalties for tickets already purchased, but this still doesn't solve the problem of wanting to be there for NYE and now needing to find a substitute place for NYE, maybe in a totally different area of the world.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I've had an International property try to cancel an award stay ahead of my dates in the past. At that time, I got the Elite service desk to contact the property and all of a sudden they kept the booking. I would not allow the booking to be cancelled until you secure alternative arrangements done by the property.
innerspace likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:47 pm

Looks like they've completely turned off point redemption on all dates now?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, whatever happens, you better call and speak to them before March 31, because they're going to cancel it one way or another on April 1. They'd LOVE that excuse to just be done with it.

It sounds as though they do want to chat back and forth with you about this. I actually think the switch to another hotel plus F/B credit is reasonable. Until you talk to them, you're not going to know what their real attitude is yet ("we're terribly sorry and will do whatever is necessary to make this up to you," or "we can't accommodate you, like it or lump it").
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Firebird2k6
Looks like they've completely turned off point redemption on all dates now?
There is still availability. I have a booking for the beginning of December and there are only a handful of available points days available between US thanksgiving and NYE. Earlier in November, and into Oct, Sept there is still a decent amount of space.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:37 pm
ski

There are past Starwood threads (recall in D.C. someone renting out a hotel and special events like Superbowl) where hotels cancelled reservations. At minimum per older threads, would expect the 3 nights points and acceptable to you accommodations, plus the all inclusive meals, activities that would have been covered with your reservation. (EIite, corporate, twitter...

Last edited by ski; Mar 25, 2019 at 9:39 pm Reason: pasr

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.