Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Are there any comparable properties of any sort in Dubai or UAE broadly? Could OP negotiate for, say...[googles furiously]...Qasr al Sarab?
Marriott's ultimate reservation guarantee doesn't limit rebooking to a Marriott property. So, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a comparable property.

If there isn't a comparable property in Dubai or the United Arab Emirates and the original poster was open to staying elsewhere I would offer Luxury Collection properties elsewhere and require daily breakfast and dinner as part of any negotiated compromise.

Regardless, I still believe the original poster should hold her or his ground.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Curious whether the other poster had reservation for the same dates...

Not surprising they would be sold out on these dates so explanation could be legit.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Marriott's ultimate reservation guarantee doesn't limit rebooking to a Marriott property. So, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a comparable property.

If there isn't a comparable property in Dubai or the United Arab Emirates and the original poster was open to staying elsewhere I would offer Luxury Collection properties elsewhere and require daily breakfast and dinner as part of any negotiated compromise.

Regardless, I still believe the original poster should hold her or his ground.
I believe it has been determined that the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" only applies to actual walking, not advanced cancellations. This was debated at length on another thread where someone's reservation was cancelled a day or two before arrival and not granted the ultimate reservation guarantee. Not sure how "rebooking at a comparable property" ties to this.

Originally Posted by Marriott T&Cs
The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is not offered at the following brands: Design Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties. Pursuant to section 4.1.c. if an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the property upon arrival, the Participating Property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:38 am

PS - perhaps we can tie this back to the St. Regis Aspen cancellation fee thread... perhaps OP should send an email to Al Maha saying OP's cancellation fee is $2000/night with 290 day advance notice and ask them to write a check...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious whether the other poster had reservation for the same dates...

Not surprising they would be sold out on these dates so explanation could be legit.
If this property hadn't previously played games and cheated then I'd agree with you, but as they say, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal
I believe it has been determined that the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" only applies to actual walking, not advanced cancellations. This was debated at length on another thread where someone's reservation was cancelled a day or two before arrival and not granted the ultimate reservation guarantee. Not sure how "rebooking at a comparable property" ties to this.
Sure, which is why I said I wouldn't agree to cancel it now without a significant negotiated settlement or compromise. Presumably, the original poster has incurred airfare, too.
ethernal likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If this property hadn't previously played games and cheated then I'd agree with you, but as they say, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
I am sure they are overbooked. That said, I am also highly confident that the overbooking was by choice - someone very rich decided to book a significant number of rooms at a very high rate.
UAuhoh, innerspace and ExpAAt05 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
have you already bought your flight tickets????

if yes then you should tell them to put you up in another property in dubai & also refund you the points as no other property in the uae is comparable to the al maha....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This appears some mistakes from the miscommunications between the hotel and Marriott booking system. It is not a large properties and there were to many bookings. It is going to messy to sort this out.
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
have you already bought your flight tickets????

if yes then you should tell them to put you up in another property in dubai & also refund you the points as no other property in the uae is comparable to the al maha....
A good negotiator might offer to stay at another Luxury Collection property, if the Al Maha paid the fees associated with changing the airline ticket and meals were included at the new hotel.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
RC al Wadi is quite similar although there are no full board option.
And smaller area

I wonder if Al Maha plan to move OP there ... (obviously need to pay for lunch and dinner and activities to make it "comparable")
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RedSun
This appears some mistakes from the miscommunications between the hotel and Marriott booking system. It is not a large properties and there were to many bookings. It is going to messy to sort this out.
Exactly! I’d blame Marriott’s caca IT before I’d blame the property. Why should the properties be spared when members aren’t?
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the RC has a lounge, access would make it more comparable to the all inclusive, although of course not totally solve the problem.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'd guess the property had a problem since we have two reports. Sales booked 10 rooms but forgot to block it in reservations or something similar.

Looks like this property used to be managed by Emirates. Is that still the case? Do they have any other properties in Dubai? Might be easier to sell them on moving you to another property managed by them.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
If I wanted the stay I would pay for the points advance reservations now then contact the hotel letting them know that I wanted to keep my paid and confirmed reservations and they should look to cancel someone else.

It sounds to me like the hotel is playing games with you. They do not specifically say they will cancel your reservations, unless you by virtue of their trickery ask them to cancel. They say that they will be happy to help you book you somewhere else or cancel and if you do not reply they will cancel but the unspoken part seems to imply that you have another option -- telling them you want to keep your confirmed reservations. They do not specifically state that your reservation will be cancelled no matter what. It is clear they want you cancel by your choice, but they do not make clear what happens if you explicitly choose to confirm your reservation. I believe they are omitting the option to confirm your existing reservations for a reason. If they bully you into accepting a different hotel or cancelling by your choice that would be the best outcome for them, but what if your choice is the option they do not mention but do not explicitly deny - keeping the reservation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.