Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There shouldn't be that big a gulf between the two, as Marriott manages the property directly...
Marriott’s fiduciary obligations as a hotel management services provider are to the hotel’s owners not to the members of its loyalty program.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I've got my fingers crossed that the OP can get the property to put them up at a similar property & pick up F&B to make it match (somewhat) the all-inclusive. Wishing him (and the other poster who is in the same boat) good luck!

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Marriott’s fiduciary obligations as a hotel management services provider are to the hotel’s owners not to the members of its loyalty program.
I partially disagree.
1. Marriott invests a lot of money into its loyalty program
2. Rogue owners --who disregard the rules-- undermine their efforts
3. A lot of us are bitter about Marriott's management of former SPG properties, but I suggest we cut them a bit of (but, not too much) slack; these are growing pains
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Alaska
The property is making a sound decision. It is more unlikely that cash-paying guest will cancel a reservations. Many of those point advance reservations will be cancelled in the end. If you manage this property and have a capacity issue, you will contact those with point advance reservations first, too.

Point advance reservations are not paid yet. It can be automatically cancelled if you don’t have enough points. What compensation for a reservation not paid yet? 90k points and money is ridiculous.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
The property is making a sound decision. It is more unlikely that cash-paying guest will cancel a reservations. Many of those point advance reservations will be cancelled in the end. If you manage this property and have a capacity issue, you will contact those with point advance reservations first, too.

Point advance reservations are not paid yet. It can be automatically cancelled if you don’t have enough points. What compensation for a reservation not paid yet? 90k points and money is ridiculous.
While I get the fact that they only have 42 rooms, and the OP is booking during one of their busiest time periods, they permitted him to book, and are now backtracking. This is not cool. Basically, if they don't want to be civil, they should ditch Marriott, and go it on their own.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well I've got my fingers crossed that the OP can get the property to put them up at a similar property & pick up F&B to make it match (somewhat) the all-inclusive. Wishing him (and the other poster who is in the same boat) good luck!

Cheers.
the propety could do it only after OP has paid with points. I think OP is clear that those reservations to be cancelled are point advance, not paid yet.

Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
While I get the fact that they only have 42 rooms, and the OP is booking during one of their busiest time periods, they permitted him to book, and are now backtracking. This is not cool. Basically, if they don't want to be civil, they should ditch Marriott, and go it on their own.
I don’t think this case is same as StR Aspen.

The proepty should go to Marriott and ask Marriott to firm those point advance reservations or cancell them.

With point advance, it is hard for properties to manage reservations, especially property such as this. It almost certainly can’t resell it in time and has to refuse many genuine customer because point advance takes too many reservations.

i don’t foresee point advance last another year, not at this property.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I partially disagree.
1. Marriott invests a lot of money into its loyalty program
2. Rogue owners --who disregard the rules-- undermine their efforts
3. A lot of us are bitter about Marriott's management of former SPG properties, but I suggest we cut them a bit of (but, not too much) slack; these are growing pains
You'll note most of these issues are from former SPG properties.

As Gary ... who's no fan of Marriott noted ... "Starwood’s system allowed hotels a greater ability to game their inventory and reimbursements."

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ith-inventory/

Similarly, there are lots of reports with legacy SPG properties in Asia gaming availability by designating a single room as a standard room and using that to block awards. I suspect these issues are more apparent under Marriott's system because there is greater award availability.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There shouldn't be that big a gulf between the two, as Marriott manages the property directly...
Yes but its pretty obvious that owners can establish policies, such as what we're seeing here or at the StR Aspen. Hotel owners can still direct the management company they hire.

All that being said .... it does look like the hotel was really overbooked and they did give the OP more than nine months advance notice. My recollection is that they also promptly notified him of the problem.

OP might be well advised to seek a couple of days at the Al Maha and then a couple of days at the Marriott property also owned by Emirates and leverage this issue for customer service gestures of upgrades/property credits/etc.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

OP might be well advised to seek a couple of days at the Al Maha and then a couple of days at the Marriott property also owned by Emirates and leverage this issue for customer service gestures of upgrades/property credits/etc.
1. The OP should NOT cancel his reservation until he receives a satisfactory resolution
2. The Ritz option probably won't be "all inclusive", but I'm thinking $100 per person per day in F&B is within reach
3. @pete.th: I suggest you be kind/reasonable during your communications with the property; while the request for you to cancel on your own was completely obnoxious, they will go to greater lengths if you are nice to them
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by freed0m

However, for reservations paid with money, the prepaid ones are the cheaper room rates. By this logic, would you cancel the "refundable" reservations (at the highest rates) first?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
1. The OP should NOT cancel his reservation until he receives a satisfactory resolution
2. The Ritz option probably won't be "all inclusive", but I'm thinking $100 per person per day in F&B is within reach
3. @pete.th: I suggest you be kind/reasonable during your communications with the property; while the request for you to cancel on your own was completely obnoxious, they will go to greater lengths if you are nice to them
I agree OP shouldn't cancel and with your comments about being kind/reasonable.

But, I'm skeptical of the property doing anything with the Ritz since it is under different ownership which means they have to write a check to cover F&B. That's why they asked OP to cancel and rebook.

In contrast, google suggests there is at least one other property in Dubai with the same ownership. Its far more realistic that the GM can do something with that property because of the common ownership.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

But, I'm skeptical of the property doing anything with the Ritz since it is under different ownership which means they have to write a check to cover F&B. That's why they asked OP to cancel and rebook.

In contrast, google suggests there is at least one other property in Dubai with the same ownership. Its far more realistic that the GM can do something with that property because of the common ownership.
What's that other property with the same ownership and is it comparable? In fact, is it already overbooked too for the period including NYE?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, for reservations paid with money, the prepaid ones are the cheaper room rates. By this logic, would you cancel the "refundable" reservations (at the highest rates) first?
refundable reservation is guaranteed and the hotel can charge the card filed for no-show or cancellation fee.

point advance is different. Marriott can cancel the reservation as it never booked if there is not enough points. Can Marriott cancel a refundable reservation like this?

What’s the penalty for not having enough points but blocked a room anyway? What’s the compensation for hotels to cater for such reservations?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's that other property with the same ownership and is it comparable? In fact, is it already overbooked too for the period including NYE?
I'm not positive but my quick google search suggests the Grand Habtoor is also owned by Emirates. Comparable ... a different property and different style ... but it has suites available from my quick search.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:09 pm

I don’t think the property will pay for OP as OP’s reservations to be cancelled are point advance. Before OP withdraws points to confirm reservation, no point for the property to do anything. The property can bet that OP will not confirm all point advance reservations and OP really does not intend to!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.