Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Seems like Bonvoy is a HORRIBLE deal for RC elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seems like Bonvoy is a HORRIBLE deal for RC elites

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I’ve stayed at a lot of St Regis’s and maybe 10 RC’s and I have to say the worst St Regis is pretty close to the best RC for me, but obviously it’s a matter of taste.

I don’t actually think there is that much of an overlap in cities where they are located, but New York and Bali immediately come to mind.
Osaka and soon Hong Kong also spring to mind as an overlap.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I live in NYC and DESPISE Bali (but stay in Amans when there anyway). Any other StR to check out?
Seeing as you like RC’s surely it would make a lot more sense to try a St Regis in a city without one anyways?

I’d say the St Regis Florence for me is the absolute pinnacle of the brand, with San Francisco being a well regarded US city hotel. Lots of other options, particularly in China where the St Regis is positioned for new money the same way the RC is positioned in the US for slightly older money.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only way to get anything approaching worthwhile benefits from Bonvoy is to be Plat or higher. There's no spend component or multiplier, so 50 nights is 50 nights. This means, the guy staying 50 nights @$110/night will earn Plat, while a RC frequent guest that stays 10 night at $700/night is SOL.
There are Ritz-Carlton properties in Asia that are under $200 a night. Likewise, there are Courtyard, Residence Inn and Fairfield properties in the United States that are regularly above $200 a night.

I don't even think the $20,000 spending threshold for ambassador status is the best measure since Marriott International is betting big on international expansion, particularly in Asia but also Africa. Outside of maybe Hong Kong or Singapore, you could stay well over 100 nights at a hotel in one of Marriott's upscale brands and not spend $20,000.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by msp3
Loyalty programs are for the petty bourgeoisie who want to pretend they're living the high life but can't actually spend like the truly wealthy do.
Let them eat cake
emma dog, Marno, msp3 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Osaka and soon Hong Kong also spring to mind as an overlap.
I'll keep it in mind if I find myself in Osaka again anytime soon. Trying the RC HKG for the first time in a few months. I usually stay at The Pottinger because of the location, or if I want luxury, The Peninsula. Thx
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only for Glob and lifetime Glob (which is Hyatt's only lifetime status, based entirely on spend). Lower tiers are based on nights only.
That is inaccurate. Yes- you can earn Globalist with $20000 spend. And you can earn lifetime Diamond status by earning a million base points, which equates to $200,000 of spend with Hyatt.

But you can also achieve the lower tiers with spend.

Discoverist status is earned after 10 nights or 25,000 base points ($5,000 in spending).

Explorist status is earned after 30 nights or 50,000 base points ($10,000 in spending).

And with the new credit card you can attain status just with credit card spend.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ripley62
actually that would have been a nearly completely different company. The Marriott owned, for 20 years, Ritz-Carlton is only distantly related to the old Ritz hotels that The Ritz in Paris and London made the famous. In fact the Saint Rigis in Rome was originally built by that Ritz chain. The Ritz-Carlton in Chicago was part of that group and for years was not affiliated with the Marriott own RC company. It now is of courses .
As I recall the current RC grew out of a Ritz franchise in Boston that was more famous for building and managing residences with almost a side business of first class Hotels.

the description of a Ritz customer fits customers of the Ritz in Paris and Ritz in London, which aren’t affiliated with each other now or the Marriott owned Ritz-Carlton. It’s really a description to a class of hotels above Ritz-Carlton's like custerms of the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Penninsuls or Fairmont.

The RC for the last few decades have been a high end consumer chain with resorts focused on wealthy family vacations, doctor level wealth not private jet company owner level wealth. The hotels are focused of top end executives travel and smaller delux conferences with s sideline in weddings. Thiese realky are not the markets that true luxury hotels cater to.

This is is why a stay at the Oriental in Bangkok or the Carlyle in NY or George V it Ritz in Paris is a completely different experience than staying at a StR or RC. The StR in Rome and maybe Florence might be near that class of hotel.

the Ritz-Carlton is really the hotel version of Ralph Lauren Polo collection clothing sometimes working there way to the Polo Purple Lable stuff having the components of true Luxury goods but being off the rack at its and marketed to a wider audience. They’re in the Capital Grill chain restraint space not the Michelin star restaurant class. They really aren’t even close to the cost no object luxury market.
If the four seasons had a club lounge i would consider staying there, but the CL makes the Ritz. It is a hotel within the hotel
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Gadot
If the four seasons had a club lounge i would consider staying there, but the CL makes the Ritz. It is a hotel within the hotel
I absolutely agree, the staff at the CL in my experience brings an RC up to a a real luxury hotel or st least a Four Seasons level. This is especially the case when check in, is in the CL. I also think the house keeping staff of the CL floor is a bit better.

when its leisure stay, I really really don’t care much about getting a suite upgrade if we're on the CL floor.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ripley62

I absolutely agree, the staff at the CL in my experience brings an RC up to a a real luxury hotel or st least a Four Seasons level. This is especially the case when check in, is in the CL. I also think the house keeping staff of the CL floor is a bit better.

when its leisure stay, I really really don’t care much about getting a suite upgrade if we're on the CL floor.
However, many RCs don't really have club lounge floors--they just sell/assign whatever rooms to have lounge access.
Ripley62 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, many RCs don't really have club lounge floors--they just sell/assign whatever rooms to have lounge access.
It makes a big difference if it’s a CL floor, it truly becomes a hotel within a hotel. .

Also when the CL has open access to all rooms on a floor the hotel has to include it to use the room. I got upgraded to a CL floor room because of that. it was even on a 5th night free redemption stay. It was that stay that got me to get the RC card and we've been back a couple time.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Ritz Carlton, in my limited experience staying at properties in Maui, Shanghai and Hong Kong, is an overpriced brand that underdelivers. Perhaps other locations offer a “wow” factor but for me I see no difference between a JW or W. St Regis is better IMHO.
The Ritz Carlton in Geneva to me is probably one of the best in regards to recognition,location, and in pristine condition.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Brandinho1

The Ritz Carlton in Geneva to me is probably one of the best in regards to recognition,location, and in pristine condition.
May I ask what recognition? Do they give breakfast? I have a stay booked at Hotel Wilson but would consider.switching to RC if benefits good. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SHLTP
May I ask what recognition? Do they give breakfast? I have a stay booked at Hotel Wilson but would consider.switching to RC if benefits good. Thanks.
Well status recognition of Ambassdor status, a lovely welcome amenity in the room, and upgraded to lake view room. This was an overnight on a mileage run so me and my wife had to leave before breakfast but check out my video of the room below to get an idea

Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
I recently stayed at the RC in Geneva and did not receive any recognition as a Plat. Just a thank you (no breakfast or upgrade). Yes, location is good and it's a nice historic building that's been well renovated, but I was hardly blown away for the price. YMMV.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Brandinho1

Well status recognition of Ambassdor status, a lovely welcome amenity in the room, and upgraded to lake view room. This was an overnight on a mileage run so me and my wife had to leave before breakfast but check out my video of the room below to get an idea

https://youtu.be/FHwEPDUyhWs
edit: due to us leaving early I didn’t bother to ask about breakfast 🥞

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.