FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1962150-marriott-elite-upgrades-discussion-thread.html)

Arghmeinaugen Mar 23, 2019 12:41 am

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

just hoping to get some clarity. I travel for business, easily clock up 70 nights a year. Before I converted to SPG, I held Hilton Gold and Intercon Gold or whatever the lower level elite was. Every time I got suite upgrades when I was on business, but more importantly I was certain that I could book the lowest priced room and be guaranteed a suite when I was travelling with my wife and kids.

Since moving to Marriott as a Platinum Elite (converted from SPG), I have not had a single suite upgrade. When you look on the Marriott website it says that multiple suites are available, but there is always an excuse (the website is incorrect, these are for locals). Now, when I'm on my own, it doesn't bother me, but what is the point of earning this status if I can't get a decent upgrade when travelling with my family.

EricH Mar 23, 2019 5:24 am

Your's is vastly different from my long-term SPG Plat experience. I don't think I got suite upgrades at US SPG properties even 50% of the time. I was more often upgraded to suites at non-US SPG properties, but well less than 100% even there. My Plat (now Tit) suite upgrade experience at Marriott properties has been lower, considerably. If suite upgrades from base-level reservations are important to you, this isn't the program for you.

Nuhusky Mar 23, 2019 6:29 am

This is where you the traveler have to be proactive. Not every hotel plays by the rules, sometimes it’s just staff not doing their job rather than malisoucious behavior on the part of the hotel

if you want an upgrade, ask at check in. If you see suites online, call the hotel out. If it matters, I mean really matters escalate and ask for the duty manager

we shouldn’t have to play these games but tis the world we live in. Be proactive

Arghmeinaugen Mar 23, 2019 8:38 am

I am definitely proactive, but what do you do if they outright refuse, you show them the available rooms and you show them their terms and conditions and it's still refused.

Next time it happens when checking in, I will just leave and probably spend a decade trying to get Marriott to refund me. What is the point of giving them all my business if there is no perks, might as well just stay wherever is most convenient.

EuropeanPete Mar 23, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 30920058)
if you want an upgrade, ask at check in. If you see suites online, call the hotel out. If it matters, I mean really matters escalate and ask for the duty manager

we shouldn’t have to play these games but tis the world we live in. Be proactive

It is of course important to note that just because a suite is online doesn’t mean it’s in the suite pool. It might be over-sell, or it might be pre-assigned to someone else. Marriott seems to suffer from aggressive customers who are inconsiderate towards front desk staff a lot more than SPG was - I’ve seen a number of cases in the last few months. Please don’t be proactive in this way.

EricH Mar 23, 2019 9:07 am

What would they refund you? You got what you paid for, including the perks associated with your status. You just didn't get a suite, but you should also be aware that not all suites are available for status upgrades.

3Cforme Mar 23, 2019 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen (Post 30920336)
I am definitely proactive, but what do you do if they outright refuse, you show them the available rooms and you show them their terms and conditions and it's still refused.

You understand that not every suite is part of the upgrade inventory, and wasn't in the 16 years before Marriott bought Starwood, either. Starwood was never transparent in its eligible suite inventory nor in its standard award night room inventory.

hotelboy Mar 23, 2019 9:18 am

Want a suite...book a suite. Simple as that.

Also, remember the longer you stay the harder it is for the hotel to upgrade you. Just because there is a suite on night one does not mean there is one on night two.

cfischer Mar 23, 2019 9:49 am

With Platinum ... you have 2 levels above you with higher priority for a suite. That's certainly now a bigger problem than before. Checking my reservation for tomorrow in Vienna ... it is already showing they have upgraded me to a huge suite .... so it does happen!
If you want to make sure you get a suite (or at least be reasonably certain), use SNAs!

Arghmeinaugen Mar 23, 2019 9:57 am

I think that I was massively over treated by the few Hilton hotels I frequented as Hilton Gold and it's warped my expectations. I will see the year out as Marriott Platinum/Titanium, take the SNAs and use my points for some family vacations and move on (Hyatt sounds like the best option and has coverage in my main destinations).

Side question, if I book an award stay (5th night free), can I use my SNAs to upgrade to a Suite, or does this just make it twice as likely that they will reject my SNAs?

etsmyers Mar 23, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen (Post 30920575)
I think that I was massively over treated by the few Hilton hotels I frequented as Hilton Gold and it's warped my expectations. I will see the year out as Marriott Platinum/Titanium, take the SNAs and use my points for some family vacations and move on (Hyatt sounds like the best option and has coverage in my main destinations).

Side question, if I book an award stay (5th night free), can I use my SNAs to upgrade to a Suite, or does this just make it twice as likely that they will reject my SNAs?

A few things to discuss

1. You get SNA, use them.
2. If you dont want to use a SNA, be sure to choose a property with a LOT of suites. On a recent trip I originally booked a property with 12 suites, 600 rooms. I changed to a 700 room/80 suite property. I gave up the club lounge, but wanted the suite more and I got it.
3. Lastly, call. Call the property, ask for a room manager or FD manager.

You have to remember now that platinum is unfortunately a MID tier now after ambassador and titanium

orca15 Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am

I find that Marriott without extra effort yields zero upgrades. A little effort - ask at check in - once in a blue moon. Marriott with significant effort (phone calls a week out, SNAs, that sort of thing) typically yields pretty good results. This is OK with me, since when I need it (family trip) I put in the effort.

Hilton Diamond gets me more "no/little effort" upgrades (of course even one per year is better than Marriott's none). Again, though with extra effort I get fair results, but maybe not as good as Marriott. Some of this is because I tend to do Embassy Suites or HGI, which has little/no real upgrade option, when wife is along.

Arghmeinaugen Mar 23, 2019 11:23 am

Originally Posted by etsmyers (Post 30920639)
A few things to discuss

1. You get SNA, use them.
2. If you dont want to use a SNA, be sure to choose a property with a LOT of suites. On a recent trip I originally booked a property with 12 suites, 600 rooms. I changed to a 700 room/80 suite property. I gave up the club lounge, but wanted the suite more and I got it.
3. Lastly, call. Call the property, ask for a room manager or FD manager.

You have to remember now that platinum is unfortunately a MID tier now after ambassador and titanium

Thanks, that is extremely helpful. Yes, 50 nights to get a mid tier status is unfortunate, though those staying 100-150 nights probably feel it unfair that most other hotel programmes put them in the same category as the 50-60 nighters.

Arghmeinaugen Mar 23, 2019 11:26 am

Originally Posted by orca15 (Post 30920705)
I find that Marriott without extra effort yields zero upgrades. A little effort - ask at check in - once in a blue moon. Marriott with significant effort (phone calls a week out, SNAs, that sort of thing) typically yields pretty good results. This is OK with me, since when I need it (family trip) I put in the effort.

Hilton Diamond gets me more "no/little effort" upgrades (of course even one per year is better than Marriott's none). Again, though with extra effort I get fair results, but maybe not as good as Marriott. Some of this is because I tend to do Embassy Suites or HGI, which has little/no real upgrade option, when wife is along.

I think I was spoilt by Hilton, no effort upgrades to the best room every time. I will continue with Marriott for this year, doesn't make sense to change programme now I've got 40 nights this year. Will phone in advance during family trips.

MSPeconomist Mar 23, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen (Post 30919479)
just hoping to get some clarity. I travel for business, easily clock up 70 nights a year. Before I converted to SPG, I held Hilton Gold and Intercon Gold or whatever the lower level elite was. Every time I got suite upgrades when I was on business, but more importantly I was certain that I could book the lowest priced room and be guaranteed a suite when I was travelling with my wife and kids.

Since moving to Marriott as a Platinum Elite (converted from SPG), I have not had a single suite upgrade. When you look on the Marriott website it says that multiple suites are available, but there is always an excuse (the website is incorrect, these are for locals). Now, when I'm on my own, it doesn't bother me, but what is the point of earning this status if I can't get a decent upgrade when travelling with my family.

Sorry, but no program GUARANTEES suite upgrades, especially at the roughly 75 night level. Folks in special unpublished levels (Starwood owners? Friends of Bill Marriott?) might have this privilege and there's a chance that it's part of certain (very few) corporate contracts, but to guarantee a suite, you need to reserve one or use a program like FHR/Virtuoso that in some circumstances at some properties might be able to confirm a suite upgrade at the time of booking (as Hyatt does for their top tier elites for four stays per year, based on inventory availability in the right category).