Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asia Miles
I'm surprised at the number of suite upgrades folks are reporting here. Bonvoy Plat here with 75 nights (average stay is 2.5 nights) and only a single upgrade scored.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by alepro
I'm surprised at the number of suite upgrades folks are reporting here. Bonvoy Plat here with 75 nights (average stay is 2.5 nights) and only a single upgrade scored.
Market plays a huge role here: if you typically travel to elite-heavy markets (e.g. D.C.), your upgrade chances diminish significantly.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Your Hilton upgrade record is pretty impressive - in 4 years as a Diamond member earned on dollars spent Ive only ever had one suite upgrade.
No kidding. Especially since 50% of the worlds population seems to be Hilton Diamond.

Originally Posted by alepro
It depends on location, hotel etc. I'm 7 for 7 at 2 hotels each in SF and 0-fer at others. I also don't ever ask for one as I really don't need the space, so maybe could get a higher % if I tried.

For trips where I want a suite for family or whatever, I use SNAs.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Your Hilton upgrade record is pretty impressive - in 4 years as a Diamond member earned on dollars spent I’ve only ever had one suite upgrade.
I'm surprised too, I made into Diamond last year with Hilton due to the whole merger mess with Star-Riott, I chose to completely avoid Marriott stays for the whole 3rd and 4th quarter, and tbh I only had 1 suite upgrade which is the Hilton in BKK to a junior suite for 1 night. Through all my stays even with WA and Conrad, suite upgrades are almost unheard of, even when I pressed for one in Conrad BKK, but I understand they were undergoing construction, so I rather have a quiet room.

As I made it to Titanium before the 3rd quarter, I had about 3-4 decent suite upgrades. They are mostly full service hotels, like Marriotts, Westin, Autograph Collections. Some are massive with plenty of inventories, some are small like Tribute Collections - I'm going to name it, the Zachary Hotel sitting beside the famous Wriggly Field treated us very nicely and amazed at how big their junior suites were that comes with an outdoor terrace facing the stadium, it really truly varies. I wouldn't bother when I'm at limited service brands like four points or courtyards. I tend to read TA by searching the word "upgrade" on the property before I choose my property. And chances are if you see the word "upgrade" appears 30-50x in reviews, your likelihood of dealing with a very generous property to Elites is going to be quite reliable. These days, GM all use TA as sort of like a benchmark for their service, and as a frequent traveler, you should too. Suite upgrades are tough, as there are so many prerequisite conditions, such as how many plat and above elites checking in the same day as you, how much suite properties they have open for comp upgrades etc. It's always a delicate game and there is no guarantee, and I honestly believe it works the same across all other loyalty programs. I have still yet to try Hyatt, but their footprint and cost usually don't work for my travel pattern.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
If I was hitting 100% suite upgrade rate with low level elite status at Hilton I would never consider trying another hotel chain. I wouldn't even bother getting a higher elite status either. There would be no reason to. I'm pretty sure I'd be disappointed anywhere else I went. Why waste time trying to get another chain to match what is surly an outlier experience. Just stick with what works for you and stay at Hilton. I'm an Ambassador Elite at Marriott with 366 night last year and 45K spend. This year, I've already stayed 80 something nights and counting. Yet I don't always get an suite upgrade even when they are available. When I do get suite upgrades they've been amazing two bedroom suites.. If I wanted a guaranteed suite I use the 10 SNA I earn every year when I travel with the family.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:55 pm

It is of course important to note that just because a suite is online doesnt mean its in the suite pool. It might be over-sell, or it might be pre-assigned to someone else. Marriott seems to suffer from aggressive customers who are inconsiderate towards front desk staff a lot more than SPG was - Ive seen a number of cases in the last few months. Please dont be proactive in this way.
Agree. But this is the fault of the company, isnt it? If they forced properties to honour the rules, it would be less common to see this kind of unseemly bickering at the front desk. All I ask for of a program is that the rules are clear, consistent and enforced. Im never going to stand in the lobby arguing the toss over upgrade or not ( and nor for that matter do I want to have to ask...its tacky.) Upgrades should be offered and assigned automatically, end of the story.
If I detect a hotel not playing by the spirit of the program, if not the precise rules, then I vote with my feet/wallet and move on . However, I will complain in writing for a egregious breach.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by paolo64

Agree. But this is the fault of the company, isnt it? If they forced properties to honour the rules, it would be less common to see this kind of unseemly bickering at the front desk. All I ask for of a program is that the rules are clear, consistent and enforced. Im never going to stand in the lobby arguing the toss over upgrade or not ( and nor for that matter do I want to have to ask...its tacky.) Upgrades should be offered and assigned automatically, end of the story.
If I detect a hotel not playing by the spirit of the program, if not the precise rules, then I vote with my feet/wallet and move on . However, I will complain in writing for a egregious breach.
In this case its a bit of both. Ive seen people demanding free breakfast at Design properties, asking for extra amenities or points if the hotel is near capacity so they wont be upgraded, just demanding suites, etc. For whatever reason, this pushiness seems to be more common from the Marriott side, but its entirely possible that its people who behaved like that who historically got the most out of the programme.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:42 am
Original Poster

My question in all of this then, should Marriott change the wording of their terms and conditions?

Just after the merger there were a lot of complaints about the wording for elite member upgrades and they specifically changed the wording to what it is now. Seems like the old bait and switch to me, people complain so they change the wording to explicitly state that Elite members will be upgraded to a suite, yet in reality this is never ever their intention.

Yes, I get it that it is not realistic and that relatively low level elites are quite far down the food chain, but Marriott terms and conditions should reflect this.

If I sign up for something, I read the terms of the contract and expect to receive what I've signed for. If your work contract states that you WILL receive a bonus at the end of the year and you've brought in a lot of business, then the company turns round and says, sorry you can't have it, you're gonna be pissed, cause it's in your agreement. Also, yes I get that this is FirstWorldProblems, I was just looking for some clarity on Marriott terms and Hotel reality, when I'm on my own I have no requirement for a suite, but when I'm with my family I expect one, otherwise there is literally no point being part of a loyalty programme.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

In this case its a bit of both. Ive seen people demanding free breakfast at Design properties, asking for extra amenities or points if the hotel is near capacity so they wont be upgraded, just demanding suites, etc. For whatever reason, this pushiness seems to be more common from the Marriott side, but its entirely possible that its people who behaved like that who historically got the most out of the programme.
Well .... there's a difference between asking for benefits that are available under the program and asking for things that aren't program benefits. And, of course, at least some legacy SPG properties had gamed the system with designating a couple of rooms as "standard suites."

I also don't think there is much of a disconnect between suites available for sale on the website vs suites actually vacant and available to be given to a guest. In all my years of FT, I can only remember one poster complaining that he had booked a suite and didn't get it (I think it was a name of the room issue). If there was such a disconnect, we'd have dozens of posts from FTers who booked a suite and found it wasn't available at check in.

So, if a suite is available on the website, I'll ask and show them the website. It's amazing how often they say no, then when I ask again, there is furious clicking and stepping into the back, and come back with the answer that a manager has cleared the room.

That being said, I don't think a platinum can expect suite upgrades much over the year. One hopes that the property will upgrade those who spend 100+ nights a year first, before Titanium or Platinum. That's certainly how it worked pre 8/18 at legacy Marriott properties, although the SPG program really only had one higher tier that was super easy to achieve.

And, I'm fine with Hilton properties but I've never had a suite upgrade as a long term Gold or for the period where I was a Diamond.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
What I find dishonest here is a person steering a company's hotel business to a program that treats him well on his leisure travel.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen
My question in all of this then, should Marriott change the wording of their terms and conditions?
You seem to be reading the T&Cs very selectively. Emphasis mine.

Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.

Those don't say that every suite at every property is part of the available upgrade inventory.

And here's SPG's language from 2002, direct from the T&Cs. Emphasis again mine.

Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites (such as, but not limited to, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom) are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.
Some good comments here. Also a few other thoughts; Upgrades are easier on repeat stays ,+ at a business hotel best arrival day for a weekend upgrade is Friday, + for any upgrade arrive between 1-4pm, seldom an upgrade for late pm arrival on any day. Oh, at Resorts it can vary on holidays & peak season, but the arrival at the 1-4 pm slot is still true. ( comments based on about 2200 Mrt stays)

Last edited by Jiatong; Mar 24, 2019 at 6:16 am Reason: splng
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You seem to be reading the T&Cs very selectively. Emphasis mine.

Those don't say that every suite at every property is part of the available upgrade inventory.

And here's SPG's language from 2002, direct from the T&Cs. Emphasis again mine.

Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites (such as, but not limited to, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom) are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property.
I don't think that this is selective reading. For me Marriott are trying to redefine the word "available".
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
View from the Wing picked this up:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...wers-part-716/
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Marriott should be able to "force" the hotels to at least give 1 category upgrade to tits and above (if they book the lowest category room) and if there are better room/suite available at check in then member can be firther upgraded to that room/suite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.