Marriott Upgrades

Old Mar 25, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
What I find dishonest here is a person steering a company's hotel business to a program that treats him well on his leisure travel.
I assume that your comment is tongue in cheek? Why is it unreasonable to expect a program to treat you equally on an award stay or cheaper rate vs a more expensive stay on the company.
Old Apr 2, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
Marriott should be able to "force" the hotels to at least give 1 category upgrade to tits and above (if they book the lowest category room) and if there are better room/suite available at check in then member can be firther upgraded to that room/suite.
I'm not sure that 'tit' is the best word to use for describing Titaniums, and the absence of a good nickname is one more thing (apart from it being illogical) I have against that choice of metal for the top tier.
kaizen7 likes this.

Last edited by hhoope01; Apr 2, 19 at 4:07 pm Reason: Removed off-topic/unnecessary content.
Old Aug 10, 19, 3:30 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, SPG Platinum
Iíve just encountered a situation at a hotel where at least 2 suites were available at check in but I was only given the same room category with a "city view". I spoke to the duty manager and he tried to explain that there were x number of ambassadors, titaniums and plats that night. When I asked why he didnít upgrade ambassadors to suites then lowly plats like myself to a higher category he said that the suites had been assigned for up sell and were taken out of the upgrade pool.

It seems that the upgrade rules really have been watered down with reference to a hotelís discretion as they can decide to allocate many of the rooms for up selling and not allocate them to elite members.

I contacted the Marriott Bonvoy Champion email address and got the most unhelpful reply Iíve ever had (in the past they had always been helpful but they used the Marriott terms to defend the hotel... and the reply wasnít from the highly reputable William I might add). The email reply:

Thank you for your message regarding the X hotel. Your message is very important to us, as fulfilling the wishes and needs of our guests is the tradition of service upon which we are founded.

Complimentary room upgrades are a benefit we are happy to offer our Platinum Elite Members whenever possible. Room upgrades are based entirely on the hotel's discretion. Our hotels do their best to honor such requests, but special accommodations are based on availability and are not guaranteed.

As outlined in section 1.7.e. of our Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, "All Loyalty Program benefits, amenities, offers, awards and services are subject to availability and may be changed at any time without notice." You can view these terms here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience you experienced. Your observations are most useful in our pursuit of total guest satisfaction and comments from customers such as yourself allow us to make improvements.

Thank you for choosing Marriott Hotels and we look forward to meeting your future lodging needs.

Safe Travels,

The above (1.7e) I thought, was meant to protect Marriott and not the hotels! So if this is true, we can be denied every single benefit in the programme. I would have been happy if they looked into the situation and contacted the hotel for an explanation just to keep the hotel on their toes with a polite reminder to upgrade guests when rooms are available but the reply above really makes me feel like I was being fobbed off. Again, itís the worst ever reply Iíve had from Marriott.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
I spoke to the duty manager and he tried to explain that there were x number of ambassadors, titaniums and plats that night. When I asked why he didnít upgrade ambassadors to suites then lowly plats like myself to a higher category he said that the suites had been assigned for up sell and were taken out of the upgrade pool.
Sounds like these "we have multiple elites higher than you staying" is become normal excuses although it would be interesting if the guest is already an ambassador member. Interestingly, Marriott Bonvoy Champion somehow try to make excuses for the non compliant properties.

And also blocking off suites for "potential" sale instead of giving it as upgrade to checking in elites sounds like cheating of some sort as the suites is available but hotel too stingy to giving it away.

If the elites really become a burden, the property should just go independent. There will be no DYKWIA elites complains loudly for upgrades or other benefits
And Bonvoy should just remove the upgrade benefit from the program and the number of elites who dissatisfied with their non upgrade rooms will drop to zero .

Btw, can @yorkboy24 name and shame the property?
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:10 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, SPG Platinum
It was AC Bella Sky Copenhagen. Iím Plat. I also had to fight for breakfast which I booked as included. Had to go down to reception and show/forward emails to prove it.

Apparently they are allowed to allocate rooms to up sell and not give to elite members. The problem is that this could be endless in terms of how many.
kaizen7 and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen View Post
The Official Marriott reply:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy in regards to the Platinum Elite benefits and upgrading you.

I hope that you are enjoying your stays with us and the upgrades that are available to you when checking into the hotel.

The benefit of a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability does not include Suites. When you have 50 Nights a year, you will be offered an Option to select 5 Suite Night Award request forms to upgrade to a Suite if one is available to you.

Some hotels will upgrade you to a Suite if one is available, however that is a courtesy offered by the hotel at the time of checking into the hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott Bonvoy and look forward to hosting your next stay with us. If you need assistance booking your next stay, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-625-4988.

My Point in this:

Marriott Reply: "The benefit of a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability does not include Suites."

Marriott Terms: "Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites,"
I have talked to many front desk staff about these very questions, been a very interesting education. So depending on the property depends on the number of suites they have, not all suites are released into the upgrade bucket. Also, you need to take into account the number of elites staying at the hotel. So if there are 5 higher elites staying and the hotel has 6 suites not everyone is going to get a suite. Also the day you check-in and time affect your upgrade changes.

Now, my upgrades haven't been all that good in the US, I care more about the free breakfast and lounge access, however, overseas, whether it's Europe or Asia have always been upgraded to a very nice suite.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond

And also blocking off suites for "potential" sale instead of giving it as upgrade to checking in elites sounds like cheating of some sort as the suites is available but hotel too stingy to giving it away.
Airlines do this with FC seats these companies are in the business to make money.
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Airlines do this with FC seats these companies are in the business to make money.
They do need to make money for sure.
However it didn't follow the t&c of the program that they agreed to participate.

The suite or better room is available during member's check in but hotel make it unavailable artificially (as the said suite is not sold yet)
These benefit is clearly advertised by Bonvoy as one of their elite benefits.
Imagine if a silver member demand suite upgrade because he will become platinum in the future

The hotel have enjoy the benefit of participating in Bonvoy by having access to Marriott booking channel and Bonvoy elites
The price for this benefit is to provide elite benefit accordingly. (and pay fee to Marriott for sure)
As I mentioned before, if a hotel unwilling to provide these benefit, they should go independent or become a Four Seasons hotel .
No elites hassling their FD demand upgrade, priority check in, breakfast etc.
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
This is nothing new at all, at least not at Marriott properties. The T&C provision is:
Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.
This means that properties can identify which rooms are (and are not) in the upgrade pool. And I don't think many of us would question a property's right to exclude speciality suites from the upgrade pool. Now, if they're excluding standard suites, that's something I would out them for, and probably cross them off my list for future stays. Because that's ultimately the recourse we have under Bonvoy - reward the properties that treat us well, shun the ones that don't.
Old Aug 12, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Maybe I can talk like a "voice outside of the chorus", but since I hit Plat/Titan I almost always had very nice upgrades, mostly to suites/junior suites, both at city hotels and leisure destinations.
All my stays are in Europe.
As per my personal experience, this is so much better than when I was Hilton Diamond.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
I had a property outright lie to me last week. This is a legacy Marriott property in Europe and the standard rooms are on the small side. I had used SNAs hoping to upgrade but they didn't clear. At check-in I politely asked the FD agent if I might be upgraded to their Royal Suite which was still showing as available since my SNAs hadn't cleared and I was traveling with a friend who had never been to that city before and I wanted to make a good impression. I know that this isn't a standard suite, but keep in mind that this suite is a mere 56 sq m, which is smaller than the 2 junior suites I've been upgraded to in the past 2 weeks at other properties. Plus I was only there for 2 nights. The agent told me that the suite was already booked and the website was incorrect. OK fine. A few hours later I sent a message via Chat to ask if it might be possible to upgrade to the Royal Suite. I was told that it was available and I could have it for an extra 270 Euros over my current room rate. Looking at the pictures on the hotel website, it's a sad looking suite, and I wouldn't have paid more than an extra 20 euros for it.

For those who are going to tell me I wasn't entitled to the Royal Suite, save your breath. I know that and I didn't demand it. I was polite the entire time and just asked if it was available on a whim. I didn't call out the property for lying to me even when the same FDA served me the following day. It would have been far better if they had just told me that they are not allowed to upgrade Ambassador Elites to that room/suite.
360guy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:18 pm

It would be easier and better for the elites if the hotel just honestly tells the situation.
Say Royal Suite is not platinum upgrade pool but you can have it for xxx

Although I can guess that some crazy DYKWIA elites might making a lot of noise to force FD to upgrade them to that suite if they know it was empty regardless if the said suite was included in the upgrade pool or not.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
...Also the day you check-in and time affect your upgrade changes...
I'm still not clear about this, and I think I've read different opinions. Does checking in on the app 2 days out when you get the notice improve your chances of getting an upgraded room/suite or is it better to wait to check in at the hotel? Or at some time in between? Do hotels treat those who have checked in on the app any differently than those that haven't checked in yet when they assign upgraded rooms?
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Sounds like these "we have multiple elites higher than you staying" is become normal excuses although it would be interesting if the guest is already an ambassador member.
Maybe those other elites are Cobalt?
ryw and kaizen7 like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I'm still not clear about this, and I think I've read different opinions. Does checking in on the app 2 days out when you get the notice improve your chances of getting an upgraded room/suite or is it better to wait to check in at the hotel? Or at some time in between? Do hotels treat those who have checked in on the app any differently than those that haven't checked in yet when they assign upgraded rooms?
I think its depends on the hotel itself.
Some hotel pre upgrade elites, so check in time or even OLCI shouldn't matter

Some upgrade the elites after they done OLCI, either check the availability at the time of OLCI or wait until member arrive or in between.
If this happen, it will be quite complicated.

Some upgrade on the spot when member physically check in.
If the hotel does this however, time of the member check in will affect the chances.

Search this Thread