Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but no program GUARANTEES suite upgrades, especially at the roughly 75 night level. Folks in special unpublished levels (Starwood owners? Friends of Bill Marriott?) might have this privilege and there's a chance that it's part of certain (very few) corporate contracts, but to guarantee a suite, you need to reserve one or use a program like FHR/Virtuoso that in some circumstances at some properties might be able to confirm a suite upgrade at the time of booking (as Hyatt does for their top tier elites for four stays per year, based on inventory availability in the right category).
Yes, I see that now. I was taking the Marriott policy literally:

"Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors"

Suite was the best room available, suite was available, available for the whole length of my stay (and still is after 2 nights), and it was that way at the time of check in. Seems to be a disagreement over this. For me, that term explicitly states, if there is a suite available when I check in and it is available for my entire length of stay, I should get it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The rooms for sale online don't necessarily correlate to the actual rooms available in the hotel and there is certainly no guarantee that they haven't been pre-assigned to someone else.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The rooms for sale online don't necessarily correlate to the actual rooms available in the hotel and there is certainly no guarantee that they haven't been pre-assigned to someone else.
I feel as if they should change the wording a bit in the terms. The terms that are given are extremely misleading.

For sure, I appreciate that if a member on 100 nights is due to check in later and that room is reserved for them, except in the case of a prior cash booking, they should definitely get that upgrade, but that makes the "at time of check in" part wrong.

"Best available room" - If this is only from a pool of rooms that are available for elite member upgrade, then the wording should reflect this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

The Official Marriott reply:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy in regards to the Platinum Elite benefits and upgrading you.

I hope that you are enjoying your stays with us and the upgrades that are available to you when checking into the hotel.

The benefit of a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability does not include Suites. When you have 50 Nights a year, you will be offered an Option to select 5 Suite Night Award request forms to upgrade to a Suite if one is available to you.

Some hotels will upgrade you to a Suite if one is available, however that is a courtesy offered by the hotel at the time of checking into the hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott Bonvoy and look forward to hosting your next stay with us. If you need assistance booking your next stay, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-625-4988.

My Point in this:

Marriott Reply: "The benefit of a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability does not include Suites."

Marriott Terms: "Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites,"
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're assuming that Bonvoy customer service agents know their own rules. Wrong!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're assuming that Bonvoy customer service agents know their own rules. Wrong!
They do not, the follow up I have received:

"I do apologize for my last response. The hotel will upgrade to some select suites, you are correct if available to you upon check in. ":

My follow up question to them, is why do I keep getting denied suite upgrades as per their terms and conditions
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by orca15
I find that Marriott without extra effort yields zero upgrades. A little effort - ask at check in - once in a blue moon. Marriott with significant effort (phone calls a week out, SNAs, that sort of thing) typically yields pretty good results. This is OK with me, since when I need it (family trip) I put in the effort.

Hilton Diamond gets me more "no/little effort" upgrades (of course even one per year is better than Marriott's none). Again, though with extra effort I get fair results, but maybe not as good as Marriott. Some of this is because I tend to do Embassy Suites or HGI, which has little/no real upgrade option, when wife is along.
This kind of blows my mind -- I've never even thought about calling or asking at check in. Is this something that most people do? How do you normally approach the phone call -- do you call the property directly and ask for an upgrade a week out??
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Think that I've reached the end of the line with Marriott:

My Email:

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for your reply.

If what you say below is correct, then your terms and conditions are incorrect.

ii. Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors.

Each time I have stayed, the front desk has confirmed that there is a suite available and the suite is available for the entire lenfth of my stay, however the have refused to issue it to me. I check online and there are multiple suites available every day of my stay.

It is appreciated if you are able to clarify this, as your terms state "best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites".

Why, if the best available room in a hotel is a suite, and it is available for my entire stay, am I not upgraded to it?

It is greatly appreciated if you can can clarify this, we have moved all of our business to Marriott and so far have received a hugely inferior service, and a service that appears in contradiction to your own terms and conditions.

Their response:

I am sorry that you do not understand that the hotel will offer the you an enhanced upgrade to the best room available upon checking into the hotel. The hotel will determine this at the time of arrival.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s been widely reported on here that Marriott customer service does not appear to have access to the Marriott T&C’s, so unfortunately you’re not going to get anything intelligent out of them. I’ve been waiting for clarification for 2 weeks now from corporate to my Ambassador that “best available” is not the same as “we will upgrade by one category”.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s been widely reported on here that Marriott customer service does not appear to have access to the Marriott T&C’s, so unfortunately you’re not going to get anything intelligent out of them. I’ve been waiting for clarification for 2 weeks now from corporate to my Ambassador that “best available” is not the same as “we will upgrade by one category”.
Yes, my below reply seems to have ended the conversation....

Dear Maureen,

I do not understand it, you are correct.

I need clarity on Marriott's interpretation of the word "available", a word that is used extensively in your terms and conditions.

If you are meaning that the word "available" means "available for purchase, but at the hotel's discretion as to whether it is available for upgrade to elite members", then I feel that it is right that your terms and conditions reflect this.

Your terms and conditions currently state: "best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites"

Please can you confirm how Marriott defines the word "available" and "availability" in your terms and conditions".

I look forward to your reply.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen
Think that I've reached the end of the line with Marriott:

My Email:

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for your reply.

If what you say below is correct, then your terms and conditions are incorrect.

ii. Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors.

Each time I have stayed, the front desk has confirmed that there is a suite available and the suite is available for the entire lenfth of my stay, however the have refused to issue it to me. I check online and there are multiple suites available every day of my stay.

It is appreciated if you are able to clarify this, as your terms state "best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites".

Why, if the best available room in a hotel is a suite, and it is available for my entire stay, am I not upgraded to it?

It is greatly appreciated if you can can clarify this, we have moved all of our business to Marriott and so far have received a hugely inferior service, and a service that appears in contradiction to your own terms and conditions.

Their response:

I am sorry that you do not understand that the hotel will offer the you an enhanced upgrade to the best room available upon checking into the hotel. The hotel will determine this at the time of arrival.
I love my upgrades but leaving marriot because the hotels don’t upgrade you all the time seems a tad extreme boarder line tantrum. Smacks of “don’t you know who I am” and as bad as this sounds you are only platinum which doesn’t carry much weight anymore. You are pretty vanilla I’m afraid to the Marriott family
ExArkie likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

I love my upgrades but leaving marriot because the hotels don’t upgrade you all the time seems a tad extreme boarder line tantrum. Smacks of “don’t you know who I am” and as bad as this sounds you are only platinum which doesn’t carry much weight anymore. You are pretty vanilla I’m afraid to the Marriott family
For sure, Marriott don't give a .... about me, they turn over a billions and I send them like 20-30k a year. No tantrum, I just had a good thing going with Hilton and SPG, Marriott signed me up based on their policies, and then even adjusted their upgrade policy wording a few months into absorbing SPG. All I'm asking is for them to adhere to their terms and conditions, which to me are explicit.

You live you learn, I've had a year with Marriott, it hasn't worked, I'll move on. No biggy, I've had a bit of time on my hand, so thought I'd see how far I could get with Marriott. How far I got was basically, yes, f*** you, it might say that in our terms, but that's not what we really mean.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
You must be staying in some expensive hotels to hit those spend rates and only be a 50 nighter

im on the opposite side of the spectrum with Marriott. I like the new program

more hotels and as a titanium generally well treated. My upgrade rates are pretty high unless the hotel is at capacity but then I consider an upgrade to a higher category room a win and generally less concerned with suites. Sometimes I wish I would not get suites as they usually chunk up the room with separate bedrooms. Sometimes lower tier rooms are better imo
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
You must be staying in some expensive hotels to hit those spend rates and only be a 50 nighter

im on the opposite side of the spectrum with Marriott. I like the new program

more hotels and as a titanium generally well treated. My upgrade rates are pretty high unless the hotel is at capacity but then I consider an upgrade to a higher category room a win and generally less concerned with suites. Sometimes I wish I would not get suites as they usually chunk up the room with separate bedrooms. Sometimes lower tier rooms are better imo
This is my company spend, and I will probably hit 70+ nights this year (I'm at 30 already). As per my original point, I don't overly care when I'm on business on my own, I have no need for suite. When we were Hilton, I was safe in mind that when it came to my 2 or 3 family holidays, I would be guaranteed a suite.

I moved myself and the company to Marriott on the basis that they had the most coverage and changed their wording to match Hilton and what SPG had in terms of upgrades. But in reality, they do not match their terms and conditions at all.

I still retain Hilton Diamond and any family holidays will be booked at Hilton, my suite upgrades are pretty much 90%, where as Marriott it's 0, even though said suites are available. Not worth the risk or hassle. People say, if you want a suite, book a suite, but then there is no point in giving loyalty to one hotel.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:07 pm

Your Hilton upgrade record is pretty impressive - in 4 years as a Diamond member earned on dollars spent I’ve only ever had one suite upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.