Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Bonvoy only promise that elites gets the best available room/suite at the time of check in.

The rest is depends on each hotel own management to execute.

Some hotels did their best to upgrade elites, some did their best to find the lamest excuses to not give you the upgrades.
Originally Posted by TerryK
None of the Design Hotels participate. The opt-out is for entire Design Hotel brand and many other brands. Some hotels opt-out even though the brand participates.

This is better discussed here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...hread-182.html.

Well, thanks for the info/reminder. That's literally half their brands, including Aloft and Element which are more basic levels and frankly have been pretty uniformly underwhelming when I've stayed around North America at several of them. I thought one of these Design locations would be a nice end to my trip, and it has a great location within walking distance of the train station. Now I'm really considering changing my reservation to a Marriott or Renaissance instead, just because of this.

...does that sound petty, or just practical? The cost difference is negligible, like 20EUR a night, but why give my money to a hotel that isn't going to 'appreciate' the loyalty.

Last edited by amrando; Aug 3, 2021 at 11:21 pm
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by amrando
...does that sound petty, or just practical? The cost difference is negligible, like 20EUR a night, but why give my money to a hotel that isn't going to 'appreciate' the loyalty.
I wouldn't worry about loyalty and whether it's appreciated or not, but rather the overall quality/value you'll be getting, which includes taking into account what each property is currently providing in terms of elite benefits and what hotel features are most important to you. For me, the ability to apply an SNA would barely register, since you can never count on them clearing, let alone clearing into a room you actually want.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:26 pm

Just me, or Autograph Collection Super Stingy?

Back to traveling this year. I've had good luck with traditional SPG properties. I'm 0/3 on Autograph collection properties this year. I'm starting to think I should just avoid them all together.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
Marriotts in s florida

Bonvoy's upgrade benefit is a joke. Can't get it in S FL. Lifetime Titanium with current year titanium earned as well and have been told no upgrades no late check out etc. Had a front desk clerk tell me they are trained to decline both and say they are booked. I have pulled out my phone and shown multiple upgraded rooms or lower end suites available online for booking while being told to my face no rooms available for upgrade. Starwood was so much better. Marriot does not want to honor anything.
TV guy likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Litig8r1104
Bonvoy's upgrade benefit is a joke. Can't get it in S FL. Lifetime Titanium with current year titanium earned as well and have been told no upgrades no late check out etc. Had a front desk clerk tell me they are trained to decline both and say they are booked. I have pulled out my phone and shown multiple upgraded rooms or lower end suites available online for booking while being told to my face no rooms available for upgrade. Starwood was so much better. Marriot does not want to honor anything.
Late check-out is guaranteed unless it is a resort. Upgrades are never guaranteed. I'd say as a Titanium I am 8/10 for upgrades ... pretty decent I'd say.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hope it’s ok to ask this question.

I’m new to Marriott Gold Elite, recently earned due to a lot of business travel and this was my first trip on the new tier.

I checked into the W Punta de Mita today. I didn’t even think of the upgrade benefit until the receptionist asked if I wanted to pay for an upgrade to an ocean view room… which reminded me that Gold Elite gets upgraded if available so I asked why it would be a paid upgrade and not as part of the Gold Elite benefit.

The explanation was that only paid upgrades were available, which has me wondering about the benefit of Gold Elite. If upgrades are available why would it only be paid?

I’m perfectly happy with our room without an upgrade, just curious if that’s to be expected.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Hotel Refusing Upgrade

So I am Marriott platinum (soon to be Titanium), I've called reservation and the hotel confirms there are 12x standard suites available and there are many premium suites on their website.

The hotel is refusing an upgrade to a suite as "It is the weekend coming up, we hope to sell those, but we can sell you a suite".

What is the process for this skullduggery?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Wait until check in like everyone else who is Platinum, Titanium, or Ambassador.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RK23
Wait until check in like everyone else who is Platinum, Titanium, or Ambassador.
Yes and then what?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen
Yes and then what?
they upgrade you if there’s still suites available. That’s the policy. Pre-upgrades are nice, but I rarely get them even as an Ambassador.
dcmike, Adam1222, Yoshi212 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen
So I am Marriott platinum (soon to be Titanium), I've called reservation and the hotel confirms there are 12x standard suites available and there are many premium suites on their website.

The hotel is refusing an upgrade to a suite as "It is the weekend coming up, we hope to sell those, but we can sell you a suite".

What is the process for this skullduggery?
Umm... are you new to Marriott? This is completely standard Bonvoy protocol these days...

Regards
dw, TerryK, SPN Lifer and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:31 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
As a lowly Platinum myself, I know to book the room that I want. (Want a suite, pay for a suite.)

Or put in for a SNA (which will likely not clear but that's a different issue lol)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Be pragmatic in your expectations. For Europe and Asia, properties are generally much better about giving elite upgrades and recognition. If your planned stay is in the USA, don't expect to get an upgrade. USA properties typically are poor with elite upgrades. Since Marriott corporate doesn't enforce it, they can get away with it. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
As a lifetime plat I'v only ever had a couple (<5) full suite upgrades (plus a couple junior suites) in my life, This includes using SNA's and about 8 yrs as a Titanium. So perhaps your chances are not good?
hp12c likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I almost always get my 1 category above upgrade in Europe and Asia but hardly any more than that. I received more upgrades in the US/Canada vs Europe at check-in or via chat if I asked.

Book whatever you can live with and ask via chat or at check-in.
nequine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.