Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Hertz uses full name, and has been for years.
In my experience, Hertz has never used full names.
DenverBrian and Twickenham like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I am looking at archived photos showing not only my full name, but others as well. How many letters are there in your name?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:23 pm

I’ve had my name up in lights on the Porte-cochere on arrival in China, at more than one hotel ( can’t recall which ones but probably not Marriott). I suspect the driver calls ahead and they hurriedly put up the names of arriving guests, along with a welcome message. Although it made me groan, I suspect some people might get a kick out of it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't want my name posted publicly saying I'm a guest at a particular property.

The amount of information that can be found on the internet these days using just your name is truly scary, particularly if you are at all active on social media. Anyone who doesn't consider this to be a serious issue is both unaware of how the world has changed in the past five years and naive as to the number of bad actors out there and the risks this poses.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
To me it is similar when going up to an airport car rental agency to see my name listed and what parking slot to go pick up my car (which is what Avis does.)
The car thing doesn't bother me. At worst the public knows what city I'm in -- or maybe if they scope out the stall, what car I'm driving.

The hotel thing is pretty weird. For many (such as myself) with an uncommon name, I would think it to be a little jarring that the hotel is broadcasting where I'm sleeping that night. The only time I've seen this before is at a non-chain hotel on Lake Inle in Myanmar -- not many rooms there so all four of us arriving that day had our names on the welcome board. Even then I thought it was weird -- it's a small world, and the last thing I need is to be stalked by some person I don't want to run into -- and who wouldn't have known of my whereabouts but for the name on the sign. It's just basic privacy.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm Last Name, First Name on the Gold boards, just saw my name as such yesterday in fact.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Refuse to check in and tell the manager you expect to be walked have all associated expenses paid.

And the local television stations, as many social media sites as possible, and maybe the district attorney (or equivalent) to determine the legality.
It's legal. They aren't going to walk you.

It's mildly poor form. Marriott, given its prominent position in the recent world of breach news, should probably not do anything that gives guests the impression that they're still playing loose with personal data. But this isn't a GDPR or any other kind of PII breach.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Will someone please just blame this on Bonvoy so we can put a bow on the topic?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm Last Name, First Name on the Gold boards, just saw my name as such yesterday in fact.
Yeah, I've always been full name on Hertz boards.

I've never wondered about my own information security, but I've always wondered if Hertz itself had enough of an exit process to prevent someone from using a fake ID to steal cars. Those names are on the board all day...wouldn't be hard to photograph the board, send to a guy in an airport hotel room with gear to make passable fake IDs. Back in the 90s when I was doing most of my Hertz rentals, I loved them precisely because the exit process was so fast - just show ID and go. No credit card like with National - that slowed things down. It did not appear that they were spending a lot of time matching birthdate and DL# to their systems, although maybe they were always doing that and I just didn't know it.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Well, we can blame Bonvoy for putting "Titanium" on that sign instead of the proper "Platinum Premier" that I've earned, dammit.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I've very occasionally seen both this and the custom water bottle labels mentioned in another post. I don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other - but I do find it interesting from an intel/curiosity perspective as to the concentration of elite check-ins on my day of arrival and throughout my stay.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I'd rather blame it on Marriott as I've only seen it at legacy MR lower tier properties.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd rather blame it on Marriott as I've only seen it at legacy MR lower tier properties.
Yes I have seen it once at a Town Place Suites in OH. Maybe their thinking is, these are "lower level" manager / sales types so appeal to their ego.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Yes, the only times I have seen it have been at a CY and RI (which I don't frequent). It is ironic because it is especially troublesome at these properties given that these properties tend to be in the suburbs where there may be only 1 or 2 major companies in the area. As others have noted, M&A, bankruptcy, or similar events could be deduced by the names on the board. This in and of itself should be a reason not to do it, and it is ignoring other personal implications of privacy.

I don't think the rental car comparison is quite right.. usually airports serve a broad area whereas a hotel is usually very localized.

For what it is worth, I made a big deal about it at the Courtyard in question and the next two times I have stayed there the sign was gone. Not sure if just happened to coincide with another trigger (e.g., Marriott audit) or if it was because of my complaint as there was a 2 month gap between my stays.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, we can blame Bonvoy for putting "Titanium" on that sign instead of the proper "Platinum Premier" that I've earned, dammit.
I found the problem with PP was that there were more than a few FDCs that thought PP was between Gold and Plat. I'm glad it's gone to end the confusion.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.