Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by JBord
Genuine question, because I'm sure you have some knowledge behind that statement...how do rental car companies and airlines (upgrade and standby lists) get away with posting that information publicly? There are probably other situations where this is true as well.
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but it's a matter of consent. If you consented for the company to use your info to provide you with stated services (such as putting your name on a board with your stall number or your first initial and a few letters of your last name for upgrades), then there is no privacy issue. However, when a disclosure is something that is NOT in line with what you've consented to, then that disclosure of information may be a privacy violation.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by airoli
While I appreciate the gesture, I wasn't thrilled to have my name advertised there for all to see.
Ah, but if they don't do this, how will people Know Who I Am??
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I get annoyed when I DON'T see my name on the Hertz board!

This Marriott "announcement" is a bit too much though.
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by swag
Yes, when you see Larry Wildman is staying at the Marriott in Erie, PA, you might deduce that Anacott Steel is in play.
When the SEC asks how you knew to make those trades

Seriously II see something like this every couple of hundred stays. I've seen it at Marriott, Hilton, and Wyndham. Pretty sure I've see a list like this a couple of places where there was a cruise ship situation telling people which bus -- may in one of the LC's in Athens (so much for GDPR)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Genuine question, because I'm sure you have some knowledge behind that statement...how do rental car companies and airlines (upgrade and standby lists) get away with posting that information publicly? There are probably other situations where this is true as well.
Don't know about rental cars but airline upgrade lists don't use the full name.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
This is a clear brand standards violation and not allowed by any major brand due to privacy concerns. It should be reported to Marriott.
KRSW, MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Should the driver for my car at the airport display the secret code name we've agreed on prior to arrival on his iPad when picking me up? Should I ask USPS to relabel all of my incoming pieces of mail with a unique serial number instead of my name for any employee on the processing and handling line to see? How far do you want to go to remain anonymous? What is your hiding from exactly?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In most places, a name by itself doesn't constitute a legal PII breach. It would have to be name plus other pieces of PII like birthdate, SSN, or financial information. It's perfectly legal for Hertz to put your name on a board, but then they need to make sure there's nothing else identifiable on the contract they put in the cars. (Since I don't have a Hertz contract in my possession now, I will assume they've thought of this and do not have plain-text DL#'s or credit card numbers in the car.)

As for Marriott, it's kind of poor form to be putting last names on the board. It's not something I'd get too worked up over, but they could accomplish the same thing with first name / last initial. I actually find it interesting how many Ambassador, Titanium, etc. are in the hotel. Actually, they could print that privately in your keycard and I'd find that kind of cool.

It's been years since I've seen this at any hotel. 15 years ago I was the "guest of the day" at a Hampton Inn because of my HH Gold status. Got the King Deluxe room and some cookies...that was so .......
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30468327-post151.html

We were the guest of the day!

What is the "guest of the day"?
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would tell them that's a privacy violation. They should not be publishing guest names.
Gone are the days to register as J Smith !
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I've seen it, the posted list included first and last names.
And every time I've seen it, it's not included both. Shrug.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Most people can identify by, and be identified with, either the Mr or Ms before the last name
True, but I'm going to posit that most rapists or thieves aren't going into hotels hoping that a random limited service hotel might post a guest of the day sign that has a Mr/Ms Last name & their elite level and then think - yup, there's my target based on a sign

I'm w/ some of the others though - I find the % of which level to be of more interest on the sign than the actual names

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My usual Candlewood Suites (IHG Property) In Charlotte does this with First Name Last Initial and at least one Hampton Inn I've been to does it. It's never bothered me but then again I love attention.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Don't know about rental cars but airline upgrade lists don't use the full name.
Hertz uses full name, and has been for years.

One time I was the only one on the list (at JFK airport). Of course, this was a last minute reservation, on the day after Thanksgiving, and the only thing available was a Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that by the time one sees one's name posted, it's too late and the damage has already been done.
Refuse to check in and tell the manager you expect to be walked have all associated expenses paid.

Originally Posted by hotelboy
It should be reported to Marriott.
And the local television stations, as many social media sites as possible, and maybe the district attorney (or equivalent) to determine the legality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.