Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This is not new; I've seen it at a few properties I've stayed at and can remember seeing this more than a decade ago at a few limited service Marriott family hotels. I don't remember seeing this at non-Marriott family hotels.

While this is not commonplace, it does occur at a few properties systemwide and has occurred for a very long time. If anyone sees their name on such a list and objects to having a limited amount of information there, I would suggest they discuss it with the front desk or a manager.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
This is not new; I've seen it at a few properties I've stayed at and can remember seeing this more than a decade ago at a few limited service Marriott family hotels. I don't remember seeing this at non-Marriott family hotels.

While this is not commonplace, it does occur at a few properties systemwide and has occurred for a very long time. If anyone sees their name on such a list and objects to having a limited amount of information there, I would suggest they discuss it with the front desk or a manager.
The problem is that by the time one sees one's name posted, it's too late and the damage has already been done. If a property insists on doing this, the information should prominently appear on the website and when making a reservation, including an opportunity to check a box to opt out.
JBord and Rincon75 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ADDED: To respond to the post just above mine, a rapist is likely to target a room occupied by one female and no one else while a thief might prefer a room with one one occupant so as to be more able to overpower the guest if confronted.
I'm not sure you can deduce this from a sign. It's not like the hotel knows the names of any guests staying with the elite who booked the room. You could just as easily assume that any room you broke into would only have one guest. But your point that people have legitimate reasons to not be identified sure sounds correct to me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm not sure you can deduce this from a sign. It's not like the hotel knows the names of any guests staying with the elite who booked the room. You could just as easily assume that any room you broke into would only have one guest. But your point that people have legitimate reasons to not be identified sure sounds correct to me.
Social engineering can get you more info or into rooms potentially.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by rjlon
Find it difficult to see what people are getting worked about. If you have an unusual name and it thus identifies you thenI could Understand. Equally if you are seeking to cheat on your partner or indulge in some dubious or criminal activity then I could understand.
Perhaps a very simple example would be my former employer who would visit hotels near Fortune 500 companies to offer confidential advice under quite strict internal (and legal) secrecy terms. If there was speculation that a local Ford plant were about to close, it would be interesting to see which high profile turnaround and/ or restructuring experts were visiting the hotel.

The Idea does not bug me but I cannot see any point to it. Intrigued the EU would oppose this. Maybe our European friends have more they wish to cover up?
I suspect the irony might be lost on you that the saying “you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide” was coined as being obviously not right but somehow has lost its original meaning in common usage. A scary sign of our times.

In the EU (slight generalisation alert!) consumer protection is much stronger than the US and consumers have specific rights both to privacy and to control the use of their personal data by companies. I’ve found it can be difficult for people from other continents to fully grasp just how different this is - consumers expect, demand and receive much higher levels of consideration for their privacy than in many other regions.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I've seen this a few times over the years, but not in a very long time. It was always some limited service Marriott property in a smaller market. It never bothered me to see my name on the board, but I can certainly see why others have a problem with it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Yes, when you see Larry Wildman is staying at the Marriott in Erie, PA, you might deduce that Anacott Steel is in play.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...a rapist is likely to target a room occupied by one female and no one else while a thief might prefer a room with one one occupant so as to be more able to overpower the guest if confronted... I'm surprised that these hotels or Marriott aren't concerned about potential liability associated with the practice of publicly posting guest names.
If it's a security concern for the desk person to utter your room number out loud at check-in, it's a bigger security concern to announce to everyone that you are staying there in the first place.
KRSW, wrp96 and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When I've seen the signs (not often) they don't list a full name, so unless the alleged rapist or thief is standing next to you (generic you, not specific to anyone, & rapes can be of male or females) they're not going to know if someone is male or female from a sign. The only thing they'll know is there is a (fill in the blank name) staying that night & their status. For every person that thinks it's a violation of privacy (and I understand the concern), there's an elite who's going to call home & say hey guess what, my name was on the welcome sign at the front desk in a prideful voice.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Not very cool, but very likely legally allowed.

When I was very young I was going on package holidays with my dad and there were all times name lists publicly available of all guests serviced by their tour operator ( for pick up to airport times/ special tours/ etc).

Whilst I would not expect this from a business hotel, I think there's not much we can do - and personally, I would not be bothered (luckily I don't have any angry mistresses looking out for me at my destinations)

At least not yet
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
For every person that thinks it's a violation of privacy (and I understand the concern), there's an elite who's going to call home & say hey guess what, my name was on the welcome sign at the front desk in a prideful voice.
So very very true, although more likely than a phone call is an instagram post of the sign. We are, sadly, such a "look at me" world now days.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i've seen it at a four points in north carolina, although they just used plat guest (this was pre-merger) first names. i didn't love it, but with just first names figured it wasn't a big deal, and did appreciate they were trying to do something to say 'thanks for your loyalty.'
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I've seen it, the posted list included first and last names.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
When I've seen it, the posted list included first and last names.
I don't stay in limited service hotels anymore so I can't say that I've seen this posted for quite a few years. I've never seen such a list in full service hotels.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
...they're not going to know if someone is male or female from a sign.
Most people can identify by, and be identified with, either the Mr or Ms before the last name
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.