Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the deposit can't be charged to your credit card or if the property tries to get a preauthorization before arrival and fails, they're likely to cancel your reservation.
Even at that hotel, the pre-auth should be for no more than $200/night, nowhere near $30K.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Even at that hotel, the pre-auth should be for no more than $200/night, nowhere near $30K.
Should be, but I could easily see they doing a huge preauthorization just to make sure that they can charge the full stay at rack rate if there's a no show. This would be especially tempting to check if they'd really like to cancel your reservation and sell the room got someone willing to pay a lot of money to stay there on the same dates.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Now that it's been more than a month, and we have not heard from the OP except for him to say he has heard nothing, I'd like to know if he has pursued the other channels suggested...disputing on his credit card, Ombudsman-type intervention.

I think he's been patient long enough.

If the Lurkers or anyone has given him a ray of hope, fine. But if the hotel is holding fast to their horrible, unfair policies (he was not a no show!!!!) I think it's time for him to take it to the next level.
KRSW, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Should be, but I could easily see they doing a huge preauthorization just to make sure that they can charge the full stay at rack rate if there's a no show. This would be especially tempting to check if they'd really like to cancel your reservation and sell the room got someone willing to pay a lot of money to stay there on the same dates.
Some properties are now requiring on award stays a deposit in the full amount of the cancellation penalty, even if the reservation is refundable, as award stays usually are. CC preauthorizations are not a viable option for stays booked well in advance as cc issuers will release the funds back to the cardholder if the merchant does not complete the transaction within 15 to 21 days after making the hold.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Some properties are now requiring on award stays a deposit in the full amount of the cancellation penalty, even if the reservation is refundable, as award stays usually are.
Which is really nothing more than a thinly disguised attempt to block all award stays.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I'm interested in an award stay at this hotel, or the Deer Valley St. Regis, but they both have these outrageous penalties. I'm looking at a $30,000 penalty if my outbound flight is cancelled for some reason and I can't get there in time to check-in for the first night. I don't have a high enough credit limit to support that. But if forced to repay the debt I would have to declare bankruptcy. I wonder if that would make headlines?
I am convinced that they don't care. How can Bonvoy's reputation be much worse right now. We have 80+ year old inlaws and can't possibly know 60-90 days out that they will even be alive much less safe for us to leave them. The Ritz Carlton penalty was over $1500 per night (not just the first night) for a room that never exceeded $800 a night between when we cancelled and would have been there. At that time, I had 7 other Bonvoy reservations for the trip I am on now and I have cancelled every one of them. Got the Hilton aspire card quick enough to be Diamond and Bonvoy and I are in the process of a Divorce. And how telling is it when the Ritz sends you a email stating to ignore corporate terms and conditions because only theirs matter.
estnet, EuropeanPete, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by pentiumii
I am convinced that they don't care. How can Bonvoy's reputation be much worse right now. We have 80+ year old inlaws and can't possibly know 60-90 days out that they will even be alive much less safe for us to leave them. The Ritz Carlton penalty was over $1500 per night (not just the first night) for a room that never exceeded $800 a night between when we cancelled and would have been there. At that time, I had 7 other Bonvoy reservations for the trip I am on now and I have cancelled every one of them. Got the Hilton aspire card quick enough to be Diamond and Bonvoy and I are in the process of a Divorce. And how telling is it when the Ritz sends you a email stating to ignore corporate terms and conditions because only theirs matter.
Is the RC stay an award stay or a cash stay? If it is for a cash stay, then the outrageous No-Show fee virus may be spreading.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:23 am

It was the RC Marriott the week after New Years. when I booked it, I am certain it said I could cancel the award reservation of 60k points per night within a few weeks if not 30 days. then I get an email at 61 days saying to ignore anything that Marriott says, here are the new rules, your reservation penalty within 60 days for two nights is $2352 or something like that. I called everyone I could knowing that I only had a few hours and nobody cared. so I cancelled. and then I watched the rates and they never exceeded $800 a night so they not only were screwing me about the cancellation period, but the cancellation rate they were going to charge. I am at a hilton in bangkok right now and very satisfied to know that their stupidity cost them all of these reservations.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pentiumii
I am at a hilton in bangkok right now and very satisfied to know that their stupidity cost them all of these reservations.
They don't care - you've got a set of hotels that have decided to make cancelling as painful as possible as they've decided they'd rather lose customers who don't agree with the new cancel policies rather than customers who cancel.

I suspect, in my opinion, this particular hotel, has no problem filling the hotel and since it is a destination resort, probably finds "elite program" guests more expensive and trouble than they feel they are worth. It is what it is. They don't want to dish out upgrades, give you breakfast, complain about fees, alternative amenities, or book with points/cancel - you may want them to change - they just don't want you to book with them.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They don't care - you've got a set of hotels that have decided to make cancelling as painful as possible as they've decided they'd rather lose customers who don't agree with the new cancel policies rather than customers who cancel.

I suspect, in my opinion, this particular hotel, has no problem filling the hotel and since it is a destination resort, probably finds "elite program" guests more expensive and trouble than they feel they are worth. It is what it is. They don't want to dish out upgrades, give you breakfast, complain about fees, alternative amenities, or book with points/cancel - you may want them to change - they just don't want you to book with them.
If you are correct, this thread has untold value to the resort.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
More than likely, its own marketing research tells them this. Marriott needs to have brands such as this a lot more than the other way.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:53 pm

Sorry for going back to the checkin / checkout considerations... but would it work if someone checks in on the app, and after midnight checks out using the app too?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Sorry for going back to the checkin / checkout considerations... but would it work if someone checks in on the app, and after midnight checks out using the app too?
I assume you mean never showing up at the property? I would assume that it would NOT work for anything.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by hotelboy
As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
How is this kosher? The OP (if I'm reading correctly) paid for all his nights on points. He didn't cancel or no-show. He showed, just one night later. So the OP in fact "forfeited" one nights worth of points since he couldn't make it the first night. But he still showed for the remainder of the ressie. So why should the hotel get cash? They already got "paid" in points. Why should they penalize him because he didn't sleep in the bed that first night? They didn't lose out on anything. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here.
TSparky and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by 747FC
If you are correct, this thread has untold value to the resort.
And untold value to guests such as myself. I will avoid this place like the plague because I am not wanted there, and the resort will benefit from not having a crap guest who cares about elite perks such as upgrades and breakfast. Everybody wins!

This hotel should be expelled from the Marriott umbrella. If I want to go to a hotel where I will not have any elite perks, there are many to choose from and I won't pay the embedded hotel chain price premium.
KRSW, 747FC, bhrubin and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.