Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by freed0m
Which hotel and how much is the room rate?

No document check required? Is it because you are American? Can foreigners do the same?

if cheap enough, I would like to book some nights.

I haven't stayed at a hotel which did not require passport check. Maybe because I only stay in hotel when abroad.
This is a thread about a US hotel and this is extremely common these days in the US to check in online
And about providing a Passport ... Nobody carries a Passport in the US even if you check in with the Front Desk. Your location says Alaska, but looks like you have never set foot in a US hotel in decades.
Either you are a troll who has rarely lived in a Hotel OR you are some special case.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
This is a thread about a US hotel and this is extremely common these days in the US to check in online
And about providing a Passport ... Nobody carries a Passport in the US even if you check in with the Front Desk. Your location says Alaska, but looks like you have never set foot in a US hotel in decades.
Either you are a troll who has rarely lived in a Hotel OR you are some special case.
And the fact that probably more than half of the American population dont even have a passport...
EdofFX, rickg523 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
My program is Alaska. In nowhere, I claim I am from US. I live in Singapore.

See how the discussion goes down. LOL.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not an actual checkin. You still need go to front desk for document check. Or in some hotels, you don't need?

Can I just book a lot of nights in some cheap hotels and mobile checkin all of them without any physical presence?
As long as you pay, why not?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is increasingly more common, including at legacy Starwood properties.
Apparently not the St Regis Aspen... If you book with points.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
No, he cant. T&Cs require that a guest actually stay for the nights and points to post. Of course, hotels dont do bed checks on guests but the if the mobile key is never activated during the entire stay thats something the system may be able to flag.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
No, he cant. T&Cs require that a guest actually stay for the nights and points to post. Of course, hotels dont do bed checks on guests but the if the mobile key is never activated during the entire stay thats something the system may be able to flag.
Well under the circumstance, knowing he's showing up on day two, the hotel could have activated his key. That would have been the decent thing to do. At the very least, if they have decided that they're in the rate-collection business instead of the hospitality business, they could have informed him of the consequences of his delay.
But not only didn't they do that, if you read the OP they rather deceptively said they'd "hold his reservation," by which it turns out, means "we'll rent you a room for nights two through five for a $1000 fee for not using the room tonight. Which we will hide from you until you check out."
It's indefensible. And no T&C makes what this hotel did right.
ksucats and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

Well under the circumstance, knowing he's showing up on day two, the hotel could have activated his key. That would have been the decent thing to do. At the very least, if they have decided that they're in the rate-collection business instead of the hospitality business, they could have informed him of the consequences of his delay.
But not only didn't they do that, if you read the OP they rather deceptively said they'd "hold his reservation," by which it turns out, means "we'll rent you a room for nights two through five for a $1000 fee for not using the room tonight. Which we will hide from you until you check out."
It's indefensible. And no T&C makes what this hotel did right.
I was replying to an off-topic conversation about a poster wanting to earn status by booking rooms at cheap hotels, checking-in online and never showing up.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Apr 12, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
This whole situation is disgusting and I wish the absolute worst to the StR Aspen. Just burn down (figuratively).

Also reprehensible are the few defending this chit-hole.

I wonder what the social damage of this story has been?
bldr1k likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:31 pm

Then why still have no-show? I already paid. Can get nights and points?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is increasingly more common, including at legacy Starwood properties.
Except for the Marriott properties that require an ID check at the front desk (e.g. the Marriott Santa Clara). The whole point is to avoid the front-desk.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
Fascinating thread. Curious what someone's options would be for properties where you are now past the cancellation window and would incur crazy $10/20/$30K fees if you don't show up. Will this create a marketplace where you find someone who wants to stay at the same property and dates and then add their name to your reservation? Might even make sense to give someone a "free" vacation so you only lose the points and don't incur the fees. Or find someone locally to check you in either to use the room or to hold it for you for late arrival (especially if you will miss the first day of a longer stay) - could be worth paying someone a small amount for that vs. the fees you would be charged by the hotel. It would all hinge on the ability to add the name to the reservation and the property allowing that person to check in.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by NJDesi27
Fascinating thread. Curious what someone's options would be for properties where you are now past the cancellation window and would incur crazy $10/20/$30K fees if you don't show up. Will this create a marketplace where you find someone who wants to stay at the same property and dates and then add their name to your reservation? Might even make sense to give someone a "free" vacation so you only lose the points and don't incur the fees. Or find someone locally to check you in either to use the room or to hold it for you for late arrival (especially if you will miss the first day of a longer stay) - could be worth paying someone a small amount for that vs. the fees you would be charged by the hotel. It would all hinge on the ability to add the name to the reservation and the property allowing that person to check in.
Why would you trust a complete stranger to check in? He/she could trash the room and empty the minibar. You will be liable for the damage and cost.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services

Why would you trust a complete stranger to check in? He/she could trash the room and empty the minibar. You will be liable for the damage and cost.
True - there is risk. But if I'm on the hook for a lot of money by not showing up I might be open to some options and taking a chance. I would imagine anyone checking in for you would have to use their own credit card for incidentals and other costs which would help. Also if this becomes a widespread hotel practice a more organized (less risky) marketplace might develop where people would provide check-in as a service. Overall it's sad that it has come to this when properties won't simply accept points for no-shows but need to extract outrageous sums of money.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NJDesi27
True - there is risk. But if I'm on the hook for a lot of money by not showing up I might be open to some options and taking a chance. I would imagine anyone checking in for you would have to use their own credit card for incidentals and other costs which would help. Also if this becomes a widespread hotel practice a more organized (less risky) marketplace might develop where people would provide check-in as a service. Overall it's sad that it has come to this when properties won't simply accept points for no-shows but need to extract outrageous sums of money.
There was some website started for people trying to sell/exchange nonrefundable hotel reservations, but it doesn't appear to have been very successful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.