Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Completely unresolved! So far, I have only been contacted by the hotel manager (in reply to my email to her) and she maintains that they are "unable at this time to refund this fee."

As for Marriott generally, no one has followed up with me to date. To recap, I have telephoned Marriott Platinum line and opened a case on this on 3/13/19. I followed up this call with an email providing all documentation and facts. Additionally, I emailed [email protected] on 3/13/19 in accord with my initial booking terms to specify that any "no show" charges be switched to a forfeiture of points. Another case was opened by Marriott in relation to this email but I have heard nothing further. Finally, I contacted a Lurker on 3/14/19 directly per advice received in this thread, received a reply on 3/15/19 that this was received (and that my "case" was found for this issue, etc.) and told I should hear from someone within 5 business days (i.e., by 3/22/19) but so far I have not. I am losing faith in Marriott to do anything with this. Very disappointing.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

I think it’s you that doesn’t understand. Hotels will typically hold funds at check in and then actually charge the card at checkout. This is why you can actually change your method of payment at checkout if you want.

It is absolutely not typical for hotels to hold funds on a flexible reservation before check in. And, at least with Marriott, it is not typical for a hotel to run a verification of your card (i.e., put a $1 hold on the card). I would know if a merchant placed a hold or charged my card without the card being present.
My company owned a Marriott and we did put "hold charges" on all award reservations as we did not get paid if late cancelation otherwise. This was 15 years ago. But while if they do the $1 on/off you are notified, AmEx does not notify for "holds"
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by cletraveler
Completely unresolved!
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. ^

Folks,

Just a note to emphasise that FT works best when posters make own their point, then allow others to make theirs too.

That's why there's a "Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme …is... disruptive posting and not permitted" rule.

Posters to this thread are kindly requested to note this rule.

Thank you
The mod team
margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by cletraveler
Completely unresolved! So far, I have only been contacted by the hotel manager (in reply to my email to her) and she maintains that they are "unable at this time to refund this fee."

As for Marriott generally, no one has followed up with me to date. To recap, I have telephoned Marriott Platinum line and opened a case on this on 3/13/19. I followed up this call with an email providing all documentation and facts. Additionally, I emailed [email protected] on 3/13/19 in accord with my initial booking terms to specify that any "no show" charges be switched to a forfeiture of points. Another case was opened by Marriott in relation to this email but I have heard nothing further. Finally, I contacted a Lurker on 3/14/19 directly per advice received in this thread, received a reply on 3/15/19 that this was received (and that my "case" was found for this issue, etc.) and told I should hear from someone within 5 business days (i.e., by 3/22/19) but so far I have not. I am losing faith in Marriott to do anything with this. Very disappointing.
Perhaps you should contact starwood ([email protected]) and see if they respond. For interest, what time did you check in the following day? If you did before noon, they don't have a leg to stand on. If it was after noon, they do. Would suggest you call the hotel (or better email from a different email - so yo have written) and ask (nicely) what is their cut-off time. That you may not arrive until early the next morning and want to pay for a night so your room is available.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:41 pm

Its amazing. I have a point reservation here for the summer. After I saw OMAAT tweet and Gary at VFTW follow up, I checked my reservation and saw 30 days / $10,000 policy on a "follow up" email from their reservations team (not the confirm email). This is a 5 night stay. I'm well outside 30 days, but following this closely... the communication and ultimate resolution (which it appears is taking way too long).

Like others have said, there are other options, and while I got a good points deal, really do want to vote with my wallet, but waiting to see how this plays out. (And hoping that posting here, along with a tweet of mine, resonates up the chains and they see how this is affecting spending/consumer behavior, i hope)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
Its amazing. I have a point reservation here for the summer. After I saw OMAAT tweet and Gary at VFTW follow up, I checked my reservation and saw 30 days / $10,000 policy on a "follow up" email from their reservations team (not the confirm email). This is a 5 night stay. I'm well outside 30 days, but following this closely... the communication and ultimate resolution (which it appears is taking way too long).

Like others have said, there are other options, and while I got a good points deal, really do want to vote with my wallet, but waiting to see how this plays out. (And hoping that posting here, along with a tweet of mine, resonates up the chains and they see how this is affecting spending/consumer behavior, i hope)
$10k for a summer reservation?

LOL

what are these guys smoking?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by levilevi

You should be sure to check now and document the price the hotel is currently asking for your exact room type on your exact dates. For a stay during the summer, I suspect that $2000 would be several times the rate for a normal room, although it might be the going rate for a suite in the summer.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
$10k for a summer reservation?

LOL

what are these guys smoking?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should be sure to check now and document the price the hotel is currently asking for your exact room type on your exact dates. For a stay during the summer, I suspect that $2000 would be several times the rate for a normal room, although it might be the going rate for a suite in the summer.

From email

Current rates on that date w/ no penalty (deluxe is our room type)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well, that is a holiday period (Independence Day), not sure if Aspen has fireworks, etc., but still a busy time for vacationers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Well, that is a holiday period (Independence Day), not sure if Aspen has fireworks, etc., but still a busy time for vacationers.
So? $10k cancellation is very punitive. At worst it should be equal to the rate of the room. So $5k? They arent losing anything that way. If they resell the room then they are actually coming out way ahead.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:55 pm

So? $10k cancellation is very punitive. At worst it should be equal to the rate of the room. So $5k? They arent losing anything that way. If they resell the room then they are actually coming out way ahead.
In SPG times cancellation penalties for award bookings were based on the SPG50 rate plan and not on whichever was the going BAR for the room booked. SPG50 at $2,000.00 seems pretty reasonable if BAR is $1,000.00.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ehallison
I don't know what the answer to this problem is.
Seems pretty simple for me. You cancel before the deadline, you get your points back. You ancel after the deadline / no show, you lose your points. Period.
AbyssalLoris and Twickenham like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
In SPG times cancellation penalties for award bookings were based on the SPG50 rate plan and not on whichever was the going BAR for the room booked. SPG50 at $2,000.00 seems pretty reasonable if BAR is $1,000.00.
Not that in mattered in SPG times since you were guaranteed to be able to forfeit points instead of paying the cancellation fee which is the logical thing to do.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Not that in mattered in SPG times since you were guaranteed to be able to forfeit points instead of paying the cancellation fee which is the logical thing to do.
There was a long time when the SPG program would not allow a forfeiture of points for a cancellation or no-show. I still to this day remember booking a room at the St Regis in New York around 2002 or 2003 over the phone and being told if i didn't show up i'd have to pay $865, which when you're in your mid-20s is a big deal. I also remember that there was much discussion and relief when starwood did start officially allowing points forfeiture. That was also a big deal, although i cannot recall the timeframe when that happened. But it's not like SPG always had this more customer-friendly approach.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I was not referring to the cancellation charge which I agree is outrageous, punitive and unnecessary. My comment was in regard to why a reservation at that time (summer) was so high - I believed it was because it included the holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.