Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Clearly, this St Regis doesn't care of bad reputation. Otherwise they would have done something already. They probably think they are going to be sold-out no matter what and that most of customer avoiding this hotel now will be those paying with points, and they hate them anyway...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Clearly, this St Regis doesn't care of bad reputation. Otherwise they would have done something already. They probably think they are going to be sold-out no matter what and that most of customer avoiding this hotel now will be those paying with points, and they hate them anyway...
my take on it is it is NOT a one-off issue, if it were it probably would've been solved by now. i have a feeling its a larger issue and the executives are trying to figure out what the heck to do to try to get out in front of it or running some audits to try to get a better idea how many times this has happened before. if it was a one-off issue then its mind boggling there has not yet been a response or resolution.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Why sue Marriott? Why not sure the people making the decision here ... Elevated Returns? it's their policy.

I confess this is the first time I've been called an SPG person I initially thought of this as another example of the SPG "Résistance" and nothing to do with Marriott. Now, I realize its a guy pushing blockchain and using this property as the first blockchain REIT so that he can market other blockchain ideas. Simply short term.

Independent of any mergers/changes/etc., charging such a huge fee while not disclosing it at the time of the reservation is sleazy and short sighted not matter what the company.
It is and has been on the Marriott site for years. I don't know what they told SPG - but due diligence would suggest that the one should look up the new rules when you are bought out. Just thinking
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by awu25
As someone who was Plat in both programs for the past 6 years, disagree that Marriott was better.

As a data point, for flight cancellations I have had SPG and Marriott remove a day off the reservation after cancellation/change deadline with no problem. I would have expected the hotel to provide the same courtesy here.
I must agree with you that I never have had a problem when I talked directly to the Marriott GM - with the exception of lately many NY hotels are being more stringent.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Alaska
What a lot of people want does not make business sense.

point redemption is not of high-value for this property. The property gets little from Corporate Marriott for point redemption. And the customer does not spend enough on extra.

As the property owner, you certainly don't welcome this kind of customer back. Why would you, as an owner, not charge as much as possible as stipulated in the contract?

If you as an owner, choose to act against your own interest, tell me your business. I would like do a lot of business with you.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by freed0m

point redemption is not of high-value for this property. The property gets little from Corporate Marriott for point redemption. And the customer does not spend enough on extra.

As the property owner, you certainly don't welcome this kind of customer back. Why would you, as an owner, not charge as much as possible as stipulated in the contract?

If you as an owner, choose to act against your own interest, tell me your business. I would like do a lot of business with you.
I disagree on the "stipulated in the contract". Writing it at the end of an email send days after the booking is done is not really "stipulated in the contract" IMO. But you are right on the main argument. They do not want points customers and they couldn't care less if they are unhappy and never return, and they are probably hoping that this bad publicity is going to affect only points customers. That's said, maybe they are underestimating the social media impact...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

Accepting award stays is part of being in the program though. If they don’t want to abide by Marriott Rewards’ terms, then they need to end the relationship entirely and discontinue reaping the benefits of the St. Regis brand. They’re trying to have it both ways here.
AbyssalLoris and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by strickerj
Accepting award stays is part of being in the program though. If they don’t want to abide by Marriott Rewards’ terms, then they need to end the relationship entirely and discontinue reaping the benefits of the St. Regis brand. They’re trying to have it both ways here.
More generally, and this is something you alluded to earlier, a good hotel will endeavor to treat all its guests fairly, even when it may lose money on a given stay. Not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it engenders loyalty and strong word of mouth. This is how the best businesses are built.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

this is the Jeff Smisek mentality. If every action isnt profitable at the time, cut it. Sure there are some customers who may not be their preferred audience but
1. Tough stuff - dont join a national chain
2. Others who do pay for stays are extremely off put

You think I'm giving this place a dime ever again?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

The real question is, who runs the property?

According to press reports, this property is MANAGED BY MARRIOTT.

So, either the owner is meddling into the property or Marriott itself is doing this. It would be one thing if this was some random third-party management company, but this is Marriott. Hence why Marriott hasn't said anything about this incident.

Essentially, you have two separate divisions of corporate clashing against each other -- and that's assuming Marriott's loyalty division, which oversees Bonvoy, would take the side of customers in this instance. As we've seen with the breakfast benefit, the divisions that operate hotels and develop hotels seem to prevail over the loyalty division.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond

But owners of these properties sure want paying customers who choose that property in order to earn points and status over some independent hotel next door. Many of those guests never would have known that hotel existed since they don't search beyond marriott.com.
So the hotel owners need to accept the reservations on points as a balance of that paid business that they would have never received otherwise by not being part of a system like SPG or Marriott.

And as far as treatment I have received from hotels when my flights were cancelled en route due to weather, twice in the last year (a Marriott and a Hilton Garden Inn) I had advance purchase rooms fully refunded by the hotel once I presented a copy of my tickets and evidence of weather-related cancellation. And the OP here never even asked for a refund of anything.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
this is the Jeff Smisek mentality. If every action isnt profitable at the time, cut it. Sure there are some customers who may not be their preferred audience but
1. Tough stuff - dont join a national chain
2. Others who do pay for stays are extremely off put

You think I'm giving this place a dime ever again?

The argument will be the property did not choose to join Marriott, the contract was bought by Marriott from Starwood. My guess is that the property does not have a choice without serious financial impact.

If Marriott pays as well as Starwood, there is no reason for the property owner to behave as such.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj

theses properties were brought in by Starwood. If they have a free choice to renegotiate contracts, many former St. Regis and W will simply leave the program, as some RCs.

I think we will know very soon, how many former aspirational properties leave in the next few years when contracts are re-negotiated.

Last edited by freed0m; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:58 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I disagree on the "stipulated in the contract". Writing it at the end of an email send days after the booking is done is not really "stipulated in the contract" IMO. But you are right on the main argument. They do not want points customers and they couldn't care less if they are unhappy and never return, and they are probably hoping that this bad publicity is going to affect only points customers. That's said, maybe they are underestimating the social media impact...

Contract supplements? If there is more or changes made by the property, it is expected that the property will write to the customer, right? And the hotel just did that.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Contract supplements? If there is more or changes made by the property, it is expected that the property will write to the customer, right? And the hotel just did that.
True, but even the original contract spelled out a unilateral changes provision, attorney generals typically ignore such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.