Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks, let’s keep this thread on-topic and not diverted into side-discussions of stuff not directly related to the OP and the circumstances of the ‘no-show’ & St Regis surcharge.
With all due respect, resort fees ARE relevant to this discussion, assuming the Aspen St. Regis charges them. While hotel owners and managers might think they are kosher, many of us customers do not care for them.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Resort fees are not a sleazy practice. It is not my fault you cannot read the website and booking information to come to a final price.
Yeah literally no consumer on earth agrees with you. You are hiding the mandatory price of a room, deliberately making it more difficult (and costly in time) to shop on price.

I have yet to see any coherent defense of why a mandatory part of the price to be paid shouldn't be displayed with the advertised rate.
AbyssalLoris and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
We need a common sense consumer's protection act to regulate such abuses by the hotel industry, such as hidden fees, false price advertising, irrational cancellation fees, "walking" compensation, and the like.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nk15
We need a common sense consumer's protection act to regulate such abuses by the hotel industry, such as hidden fees, false price advertising, irrational cancellation fees, "walking" compensation, and the like.
Unfortunately, we have now fully transitioned from an era of consumer protection legislation to corporate protection legislation.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Why are you posting in bold? Be respectful.
Are you a property owner? If so, I guess I understand why you are stressed out and posting in bold...
​​​​​​
I have a client that types in all caps for days at a time because he is clueless.

If a Marriott property owner/licensee types in bold then I can only assume he/she is also clueless.

Its a private blog, don't cha know.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Yeah literally no consumer on earth agrees with you. You are hiding the mandatory price of a room, deliberately making it more difficult (and costly in time) to shop on price.

I have yet to see any coherent defense of why a mandatory part of the price to be paid shouldn't be displayed with the advertised rate.
Agreed! And I wish the tax would also be included in the displayed price, although at least with taxes they don’t hinder the ability to compare across hotels in the same city.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold

I think it is pretty clear here...$100 plus $37.50
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, we have now fully transitioned from an era of consumer protection legislation to corporate protection legislation.
Give it 10 to 15 years and we will swing back...just like everything else...this is cyclical.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks, let’s keep this thread on-topic and not diverted into side-discussions of stuff not directly related to the OP and the circumstances of the ‘no-show’ & St Regis surcharge.
Originally Posted by moondog
With all due respect, resort fees ARE relevant to this discussion, assuming the Aspen St. Regis charges them. While hotel owners and managers might think they are kosher, many of us customers do not care for them.

So a moderator says lets stay on track, and we ignore this directive at the risk of the thread shutting down. I really don't understand how anyone would want to put the thread at risk.

ETA: Well, except for a Marriott owner.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Unfortunately it's the case - hotels can basically set up whatever they want and points in our accounts are not actually owned by us as the chain can take it away whenever they like. It's not like everyone deliberately try to no-show. Things happened - a guest becomes ill that makes him/her unable to travel, flight being cancelled - things that are out of our control and our travel insurance doesn't cover things like this - you have to be really sick - so sick that you have to be hospitalized in order to get the cancellation insurance, they don't cover lost from flight delays either (you need to go to the airline to try to get it recovered and if you are not flying EU airlines/within the EU then you totally SOL). We live in Sweden and travel insurance is included in every home insurance policy but it's super stingy and our credit cards only waive the excess in certain areas. If we booked the hotel with points then we are also SOL -
A trip or part of a trip that has been paid for using bonus points will not be compensated.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
So a moderator says lets stay on track, and we ignore this directive at the risk of the thread shutting down. I really don't understand how anyone would want to put the thread at risk.

ETA: Well, except for a Marriott owner.
You do understand moderators have the ability to simply remove off-topic posts without locking the entire thread, right? It doesn't have to be either/or.

Regards
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
No kidding, it is the systematic destruction and unraveling of civilization out there, piece by piece, but let's not get off topic...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by scubadu
You do understand moderators have the ability to simply remove off-topic posts without locking the entire thread, right? It doesn't have to be either/or.

Regards
I do.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Gadot
Again, we don't know if OP got a note from Marriott nor did he get charged $ as well as points when he made the reservation. But again, if he checked in before noon, he was not a no-show
Dude go away. Seriously.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
except I have to click into it to see this. When I go to the list of hotels, this shows up at 100 while another may show up as 110 - this hotel is more expensive, but it takes a whole lot of clicks to find out.

I dont have a problem with unbundled fares for OPTIONAL things like checked bags or breakfast. These hidden fees are mandatory and designed to make comparative searching harder.

if it's so clear, why not eliminate the fee and just list your hotel at 137.50? Because it isn't clear and you know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.