Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gadot
You should not receive your money back for their charging you for a no-show. The policy clearly states that you will be charged and the points refunded. In addition when you made the reservation, I believe they noted they were charging you. Sorry Marriott and envoy is different from SPG. But rather than smear them for your error in not reading the fine print (caveat emptor)!! 99% of the complaints on envoy come from SPG members who don't like the change. Live with it or go elsewhere. I am sure Hilton will like your business - at least until you start smearing them.

But the real problem is if you called and said you would be a late check in and thus did show up before noon the following day. Noon is the time the "next day starts". If you did, then the hotel did make a mistake and does owe you.

While some seem to support your wrong belief, all on the Marriot owner's blog do not. Hopefully your future with Marriott will be better.
The booking was done under SPG terms and conditions pre-merger The points were deducted so the contract was made under those terms and conditions. Under those terms you can forfeit points in lieu of no show. There is no caveat emptor you cannot simply void the contract or change the contract unilaterally. You are making a definition of a no show in this case that unless was specifically stated in the booking agreement may be very hard to enforce legally, remembering this was done under SPG not Marriott.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by beofotch
don't forget to post your story at www.bonvoyed.com
Nah, this one is a new category on its own, needs a new website www.bonvoyed-in-the-a$$.com

OP, did you try telling the managers that they have lost their mind, but you will forgive them, as an one time courtesy, if they remove the fraudulent charge?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:23 pm

While some seem to support your wrong belief, all on the Marriot owner's blog do not. Hopefully your future with Marriott will be better.
Can someone provide a link to the Marriott owner's blog? It would be interesting to read that point of view. Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:29 pm

One of the things I have learned in this thread is to plan around these potential no show charges. I might go as far as to book the first night of a vacation stay at a cheaper hotel in case there are travel difficulties. Then on the second night move to the resort with the exorbitant no show fees.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: Alaska
This hotel does not welcome award redemption. It is not afraid to lose your award business. Certain threat is meaningless to this hotel.

if you still don’t get it, read it again.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by freed0m
This hotel does not welcome award redemption. It is not afraid to lose your award business. Certain threat is meaningless to this hotel.

if you still don’t get it, read it again.
If so, they should withdraw from the program (like the RC Singapore).
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by moondog

i guess, they will, at 1st opportunity.

When marriott takes over Starwood, maybe some contracts can’t get out of.

I found after the merger, SPG top properties are significantly cheaper and easier to book awards. The property owners certainly are not happy.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire

Originally Posted by moondog
Y'all have made some good points (and a few stupid ones) on both sides, but this part is the thing that absolutely infuriates me about this property, and franchisees like it. Dear owner, if you think it is too much of a burden to provide St Regis benefits, then take down the flag and go it alone, but if you want to land all those rich St Regis whales, then you pay for the privilege.

In my hometown our Sheraton got bought out and the new owner pulled out of Sheraton and became an independent. He didn't whine about the burden of providing Sheraton benefits, he told the local newspaper that he simply thought he could drum up more business by spending that money on an in house sales dept. than sending the money to SPG.

I found after the merger, SPG top properties are significantly cheaper and easier to book awards. The property owners certainly are not happy.
Personally, I haven't heard gripes from the domestic owners, but no doubt a lot of the former Starwood overseas properties are screaming their collective head off about forcing the SPG hoi polloi to rub elbows with the Marriott commoners.

Last edited by jn in ca; Mar 16, 2019 at 3:29 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jaunts
Can someone provide a link to the Marriott owner's blog? It would be interesting to read that point of view. Thanks.
no
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by geminidreams
The booking was done under SPG terms and conditions pre-merger The points were deducted so the contract was made under those terms and conditions. Under those terms you can forfeit points in lieu of no show. There is no caveat emptor you cannot simply void the contract or change the contract unilaterally. You are making a definition of a no show in this case that unless was specifically stated in the booking agreement may be very hard to enforce legally, remembering this was done under SPG not Marriott.
Again, we don't know if OP got a note from Marriott nor did he get charged $ as well as points when he made the reservation. But again, if he checked in before noon, he was not a no-show
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
no
I'm guessing you're the same delightful bundle of joy there too.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by HereAndThere
sleazy practices (e.g, resort fees and the example on this thread),
Resort fees are not a sleazy practice. It is not my fault you cannot read the website and booking information to come to a final price.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Gold
no
If you are not willing to share why bring it up?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Resort fees are not a sleazy practice. It is not my fault you cannot read the website and booking information to come to a final price.
Totally sleazy practice. It isn't a matter of reading the website and booking information - it's about charging extra for rooms in hotels that are clearly not resorts and do not have any resort type amenities. It's a way to disguise the final price when customers are searching for room rates much like baggage fees and seat fees disguise the final price of an airline ticket.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Resort fees
Folks, let’s keep this thread on-topic and not diverted into side-discussions of stuff not directly related to the OP and the circumstances of the ‘no-show’ & St Regis surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.